(Topic ID: 155236)

Gottlieb Volcano Club –DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!

By OzPaul

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

23013551-BC48-42D6-9309-3852821ADAA2 (resized).jpeg
981343D6-5CF3-4051-8D4D-A1CF6DEEE5D8 (resized).jpeg
31825AF0-293A-4E39-AC7E-0E9D4EC12968 (resized).jpeg
566F087A-A6A0-4388-96BD-56C81E942B63 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2724 (resized).JPG
60567675208__8EF85D65-D57A-49F3-851D-F0E3058714B7 (resized).JPG
13022320_10154119385933756_1458291264_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1868 (resized).JPG
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
0609161506a_(resized).jpg
0609161506_(resized).jpg
IMG_2969_(resized).JPG
IMG_1744_(resized).jpg
IMG_1816_(resized).jpg
Vol5_(resized).jpg
Vol3_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

2 years later, i still enjoy the game.
There is another volcano club thread as well.
Enjoy

Count me in here too... where is the other thread?

11 months later
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Silverballbrain:

Hey everyone! Looking for help again. Still trying to figure out how to reduce the heat coming from the displays. The green score coverings are actually melting away on the backglass.

All five displays are doing this?? Very abnormal. Can you post a photo of the melting? I have never seen that before.

Mine are cool/cold to the touch even while operating on a warm day. No idea why they would be that hot, and frankly, do not understand how they could run so hot and not burn out. Can you take temps with an IR probe to isolate the heat source... i.e. section of board, glass, chip, etc?

Could there be something else in the head that is getting hot and trapping the heat inside? Can you run with the head open and examine more closely to verify the heat source?

Volcano's cabinetry is vented from top to bottom. There are slots on the underside of the machine. Under the wooden power board in the main cabinet under the playfield there is an airspace. Below this airspace are slots in the bottom of the cabinet The transformers run warm and draw air in through these slots, which travels under the playfield through to the bottom of the head before being drawn out the metal vents on the top rear of the head. Is air able to get to these vents? You don't have stuff piled up under the machine? The machine is on legs, not sitting flat on its base on a table or something? You don't have a towel, draperies, or some other obstructions blocking the air vents?

Curious if the metallic grounding wire is the problem as there is none as expected inside the interior of the playfield cabinet (the kind that goes behind the leg plates, coin opening door and connects to that green and yellow wire inside the playfield cabinet).

That is very doubtful. This is the safety ground. It is meant to protect ... so if something goes wrong electrically and if voltage touches the coin door, this ground will help prevent a possible electrocution situation.

When I purchased volcano, the operator manual included was a photocopy of the original and missing several pages and the schematics...

I bought my manual from eBay but Pinball Resource sells them too. There is a copyright issue that Gottlieb enforces and the only PDF I saw online was missing more than half of the schematics. While you wait, you may have better luck finding a PDF online for a Black Hole or Haunted House. Both are system 80 and the schematics are virtually identical.

1 week later
#17 1 year ago

I need to make a new subway cover because mine had a boogered top edge catching the ball that I had to cut away. The previous owner used small nails to try to hold it down making it worse. Cutting the bad parts away was the only real improvement. It's a lot better, but the metal is stretched and the ball still gets caught here. There's not enough left to keep cutting away so the only real solution is to make a whole new cover.

Can somebody remove and carefully trace their subway cover with a fine pencil, and mail the paper tracing to me? I know it's a lot of work to remove and it's a lot to ask somebody. To thank and compensate you for the work of tracing & mailing, I will make an extra metal cover and mail it to you. PM me if interested.

If nobody is willing to do that, maybe a photo will help enough. A similar shot like the one below might provide enough information, but a tracing would be best. I need to see the whole top edge between the top two holes.

I've ordered stainless steel 0.007" thick, which is the same material and thickness as the original. I plan to use a small flat grinding disc wheel to make the cuts. I think a metal shear or snips would likely distort the edges too much. I purchased enough stainless to make 100 subway covers, so I'm not worried about experimenting to figure this out. Hey, if it turns out well... if anyone needs a new subway cover... just sayin'.

This is the edge I had to cut away.

IMG_2724 (resized).JPGIMG_2724 (resized).JPG

Added 19 months ago:

Correction: 0.006" thick stainless, not 0.007" as previously posted.

Added 19 months ago:

I ended up figuring this out and making two new flaps. Details and photos posted in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fwiw-gottlieb-volcano-needs-a-new-subway-flap

Added 14 months ago:

Type 302 stainless steel

2 months later
#19 1 year ago

Never owned or used an Infrared probe before

They are less than $20 on Amazon. "IR temperature gun"

https://a.co/d/3lwFdL3

You point it at something and it tells you the temperature. It's a very cheap way to get fairly accurate temperature readings on a pinpoint.

I would not use the machine until you figure this out. You already have damage on the transparent ink and I don't even know how your displays have survived so far.

The display are hot to begin with. I am concern some of them may not being receiving electricity properly

Again, all FIVE or just some?

3 weeks later
#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Try some fresh double sided adhesive foam tape between the glass display and the circuit board. This is a fairly common problem. From the pictures it looks like at least two of the displays are no longer sitting flat against the circuit boards. The display may lean down and rub against the tinted display windows if the old double sided adhesive tape has dried out.

I think you missed his original post; he's talking about extreme heat melting the green tint.

...Still trying to figure out how to reduce the heat coming from the displays. The green score coverings are actually melting away on the backglass...

If that's the case, double stick tape is not going to hold for long, which is probably why they are leaning in the first place.

My displays don't get warm, let alone hot enough to melt the tint.

I don't even understand what mechanism would cause a Futaba VFD to cook without quickly burning itself out. The OP is not being very communicative and I suspect the heat must be coming from someplace other than the actual displays.

1 week later
#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Redfive05:

I've seen the UDN6118A on a display run so hot it literally caused the paint to peel off the backglass on a Haunted House once. You could see the chip on the display board clearly while playing, and just in that spot. But the funny thing was the display worked perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here too.

Until the OP responds, we're just speculating, but that is interesting. Would seem weird if he has multiple displays with this issue, but it's the only thing that makes sense until the OP investigates and reports back. Although that does not explain why he's only seeing damage to the tint, unless the tint is a lot more susceptible to heat than the paint.

4 weeks later
#25 1 year ago

FWIW, I created a standard Volcano kit for silicone rings at Titan Pinball.

Stock colors/sizes, same as sold in most standard Volcano rubber kits. White rings and red flippers, with a white shooter tip.

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/3060

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 3.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volcano-club-%e2%80%93danger-danger-danger?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.