Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Chitownpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

volcano.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Someone (private party) has a Gottlieb Volcano in decent shape (8 out of 10). What should I pay?

That beings said, I'm also looking at these which are all locally available.

Also, looking at earlier EM Gottlieb 4 Player models: Super Soccer (8/10 condition), Surfer (fully working 6.5/10 condition), and Target Alpha (needs restoration)...

Part of me likes the EM' better, because of their nostalgic appeal. Any thoughts on value etc. This will be my first pinball purchase.

#2 4 years ago

decent shape meaning works 100% no issues? then probably 600+. If it needs a major shop job and repair work, then like 400 or so.

#3 4 years ago

Everybody always seems to list a dirt low price when asked about Volcano (see above post), but that wasn't my experience. I bought the game 6-8 years ago at expo and paid $1100, but it was in awesome condition. Playfield and backglass looked great and the game played perfectly. A couple years ago I sold it. I can't remember my selling price exactly, but I know it was for more than I paid originally. So, maybe you can find a cheap one, and condition is king, but that was my experience. Still don't feel like I paid too much given the condition and felt like the selling price was fair. BTW - it sold pretty quick too. Either way, cool Sys80 game if you like that kind of thing.

#4 4 years ago

He said decent shape, not immaculate, even though he rated it 8/10, decent IMO is like 6/10 players shape. I can see paying $1100 for a nice one, just like Black Hole, which goes for around the same, between 400-1100 based on condition. Sounds like the one you had was worth what you paid. These sys80s often have lots of issues though.

#5 4 years ago

That's a big boy right there....fun game. Good Luck

#6 4 years ago

There has been one on CL near me for 1,295 for like a year. I would say 100% working players should never be that much. That's about all the help I can give.

#7 4 years ago

Black Hole brings more of premium, but volano is a fun game. I would pay $800 for it if it were in good shape and $1K for it if all the ground mods were done. Sys80's are great games, but a bold choice for first unless you enjoy the tinkering aspect as well.

#8 4 years ago

$500-900. Hard to give a better range without pictures, as these things are very subjective.

Sounds like you may be looking at your first pin. If so, get someone local who knows this stuff to go with you if possible.

Surfer and Soccer are probably $300-600

#9 4 years ago

All things being equal, would a Sys80 be harder to deal with than an EM? Are the parts hard to get?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

All things being equal, would a Sys80 be harder to deal with than an EM? Are the parts hard to get?

It depends on the EM. Sys80 game parts are mostly all available, sans a few like all machines, like the phoneme generator IC gottlieb uses on the MPU. It would be easier to track down parts for a sys80 I'd imagine over an EM, simply due to the age difference.

#11 4 years ago

500-900. Hard to really say without seeing pics.

#12 4 years ago

If I found a volcano for $400-$900 I wouldnt blink at picking it up. Those prices are ridiculously low. I would say if its nice more like $1200.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Depends where your skill set is. Plenty of people can work on one, but not the other. It really depends on you. I personally dont fully understand the workings of an EM and would doubt myself around them as I have no experience there.

In my own experience (which may differ greatly from others) I have found the late 70s-early 80s Ballys to be extreamly reliable and great starter pins. The AS-2518s have been great for me personally.

They are usually quite affordable and IMHO make fantastic first pins.

1 month later
#14 4 years ago

I really like the aftermarket board stuff available for the system 80's, like the power supply, which is very affordable. Even the Rottendog mpu is a good deal, it solves so many problems from a reliability stand point, plus it is dip switch selectable.

System 80 pins are not all that horrible to work on, sometimes there is a gremlin or two, but there is also a boat load of information on them.
The other thing is, people tend to price check them low, yet many are often not all that easy to find.

#15 4 years ago

Picked mine up for 250. I would rate it a 6 overall, none working. Can't wait to get it up and running.

1 month later
#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-one:

Picked mine up for 250. I would rate it a 6 overall, none working. Can't wait to get it up and running.

OH MAN! WOW! I havent seen any good examples for under $1000.

#17 4 years ago

I would pay 1200 for a nice fully working one.

#18 4 years ago

Here is one that a pinsider was selling before Allentown for $600 that I bought. Playfield is excellent for this game, really nice, mostly mylar. The backglass has/had a bubble spot on the ''V"" that was sealed.
It had a gremlin or two, but it came with a new niwumpf CPU board too, and we played this in my hotel room at the show. (Gremlin was a few connector pins were bad)

Everything works 100%, and if someone offered $1200 for it, I probably wouldn't sell it. So for what it's worth, that's what I value it at. Often times I ignore what people say a game is worth, based on how often I myself come across it. When I found a Gottlieb PUNK!, It was in poor to fair condition overall, and a buyer bought it for $3,000. That same buyer also knows I would buy it back in a minute for $3,000, yet the price guide probably lists that game for under a grand. Good luck finding one...

Volcano is a unique, fun, classic pinball from 81'. It had some pretty unusual features.
Gottlieb from this era always tried to do outside the box/neat gimmicks on their games, and I applaud them for that, big fan of this early stuff. They lost me big time in the system 80b years, however.

volcano.jpg

#19 4 years ago

Really? I LOVE the 80b games.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Here is one that a pinsider was selling before Allentown for $600 that I bought. Playfield is excellent for this game, really nice, mostly mylar. The backglass has/had a bubble spot on the ''V"" that was sealed.
It had a gremlin or two, but it came with a new niwumpf CPU board too, and we played this in my hotel room at the show. (Gremlin was a few connector pins were bad)
Everything works 100%, and if someone offered $1200 for it, I probably wouldn't sell it. So for what it's worth, that's what I value it at. Often times I ignore what people say a game is worth, based on how often I myself come across it. When I found a Gottlieb PUNK!, It was in poor to fair condition overall, and a buyer bought it for $3,000. That same buyer also knows I would buy it back in a minute for $3,000, yet the price guide probably lists that game for under a grand. Good luck finding one...
Volcano is a unique, fun, classic pinball from 81'. It had some pretty unusual features.
Gottlieb from this era always tried to do outside the box/neat gimmicks on their games, and I applaud them for that, big fan of this early stuff. They lost me big time in the system 80b years, however.
volcano.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Very nice... If that one I was considering was that nice, I would be a Volcano owner right now...

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Really? I LOVE the 80b games.

Really...and I've owned one for 22 years, because it was my first.

To stay in the game, after system 80, Gottlieb decided to cost cut nearly everything. I hate the 80b cabinets, they're smaller and made of fiber board and fall apart/wear easily. The displays are very cheap looking, like on a table top toy style. They also did the bone head move of cheapening their art, such as the backglass with dated (even then) real images. They also play funny (of course this is personal perspective)
There are some real gems in the original 80 series that hardly anybody ever talks about, and the reason is, because many of them hardly exist. There is just very little current day exposure for these titles, such as Punk! Pink Panther, Spirit, Rocky, Q-berts quest, etc.

System 3 stuff was pretty good. They used their old formula and tried to make some pretty packed games. Some were very good, some were a wasted effort, and most couldn't hold a candle to the likes of the Bally/Williams games being pumped out.

#22 4 years ago

I will take 80b games over all the 80 games you listed. So much better game play and layout then some of the oddball 80 stuff. I got to play Spirit a bunch at VFW show and was completely unimpressed. Yet another rare game that is a big dud.

I have not played pink panther or punk at this time but would like to.

I will take genesis, excalibur, robowar, tx sector, night moves over all the other 80 titles listed. The cabs are junk but the games are way more fun and the cheesy tunes are great!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Really...and I've owned one for 22 years, because it was my first.
To stay in the game, after system 80, Gottlieb decided to cost cut nearly everything. I hate the 80b cabinets, they're smaller and made of fiber board and fall apart/wear easily. The displays are very cheap looking, like on a table top toy style. They also did the bone head move of cheapening their art, such as the backglass with dated (even then) real images. They also play funny (of course this is personal perspective)
There are some real gems in the original 80 series that hardly anybody ever talks about, and the reason is, because many of them hardly exist. There is just very little current day exposure for these titles, such as Punk! Pink Panther, Spirit, Rocky, Q-berts quest, etc.
System 3 stuff was pretty good. They used their old formula and tried to make some pretty packed games. Some were very good, some were a wasted effort, and most couldn't hold a candle to the likes of the Bally/Williams games being pumped out.

I totally agree with you on the earlier system 80 games spirit is the best game ever made. The 80b games don't really feel cheap to me.

#24 4 years ago

Is this the volcano being sold near the Cambridge Alewife station by the kid in the apartment building? I went to look at that one.

#25 4 years ago

I had one at Allentown in the flea market, working machine, good displays, very nice all around, not shopped, was asking $900 sold for $775.

1 week later
#26 3 years ago

UGH!!! WHERE ARE THESE DEALS!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
995 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Meriden, CT
900 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Rockford, MI
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 399.95
€ 8.40
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 119.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside