20191124_184840 (resized).jpg
20191124_184818 (resized).jpg
Apron & Arch06(S) (resized).jpg
Apron & Arch05(S) (resized).jpg
Apron & Arch03(s) (resized).jpg
Apron & Arch02(s) (resized).jpg
Apron & Arch01(s) (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm restoring a Gottlieb Abra Ca Dabra and dismantled the upper apron and arch (which creates the top orbit for the ball) and while cleaning the arch, I noticed what seemed to be some of the silver paint peeling. When I ran my finger around the arch, traveling area the ball would contact, I could feel that the surface was rough where the paint had peeled. My concern is that this rough surface will end up scuffing the ball.

Any suggestions on what to do with the arch? Should I try to strip all the paint and then polish the metal? Or repaint it? I'd like to make that surface as smooth as possible.

NOTE: The photos make the arch look bronze, but it is actually silver.

Apron & Arch01(s) (resized).jpgApron & Arch01(s) (resized).jpgApron & Arch02(s) (resized).jpgApron & Arch02(s) (resized).jpgApron & Arch03(s) (resized).jpgApron & Arch03(s) (resized).jpgApron & Arch05(S) (resized).jpgApron & Arch05(S) (resized).jpgApron & Arch06(S) (resized).jpgApron & Arch06(S) (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

The white arch never touches the ball. The silver one does. It's actually nickle plated. You can soak it in Evapo-Rust first and see how it turns out. Might be alright without the rust.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate your help! I've read your thread on your Surf Champ restoration more than once!

Yup - the silver one is the only one I'm concerned about. (I only included a photo of the top white arch so people would have a reference.)

I will soak it in evapo-rust, but it's actually not very rusty. I think the photos I took with the flash didn't do a good job of capturing the true colors. So I took a couple with my phone.

The silver arch was pretty dirty, so I tried to clean it with some Simple Green first. And that's when I noticed that some of the silver (nickel coating, I guess) was flaking off (perhaps because of the Simple Green?) And then when I ran my finger along the archway where the ball travels, I could feel that the areas where it peeled off were rough and they weren't rough before that. So I'm guessing it's rough because the nickel plating came off?

20191124_184818 (resized).jpg20191124_184818 (resized).jpg20191124_184840 (resized).jpg20191124_184840 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

I'm only really concerned about the edge, since that's the only part that the ball will contact. I don't want that edge to be rough and perhaps scuff up the ball as it travels that orbit.

#5 4 years ago

You could take some sandpaper to the edge to smooth it down. Then I would suggest you send that metal to a plating company and have it nickle plated again.

#6 4 years ago

You can also just file the burrs off. Only filing the underside, were the filing will not be noticed. Then with a rat tailed file just deburr the ball edge. Trying not to effect the top side of that arch. On some Gottliebs that ball arch can get smacked by the ball from a flipper, those burrs will cut your hand when the playfield is waxed.

#7 4 years ago

So I soaked it in Evapo-Rust for about 18 hours and this is the result. The areas where the nickel-plating rubbed off turned black and is pretty rough.

I'll try sanding those edges down and see how it feels, but I'm guessing that having the entire thing nickel plated again is going to be the way to go, unless I can find a donor arch from another game.

Arch (after Evapo-Rust)01 (resized).jpgArch (after Evapo-Rust)01 (resized).jpgArch (after Evapo-Rust)02 (resized).jpgArch (after Evapo-Rust)02 (resized).jpgArch (after Evapo-Rust)03 (resized).jpgArch (after Evapo-Rust)03 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

Re-plating that part seems excessive, unless you have the equipment and are doing it yourself.

I would just sand the edges until you get a nice smooth edge for the ball to roll on and shoot the top side with some stainless steel paint. Once you put the top white arch on you can't see much of it anyway.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I'm having trouble finding anyone who can nickel plate it, especially cheaply. (I tried finding someone who could re-do my coin door and they wanted at least $150. I can buy a new one for less!)

I'm gonna try sanding it and see how smooth I can get it, then paint it. Will post the results here, in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

#10 4 years ago

Ive got a plater i work with in Ft Worth Tx, doors are $60, a piece like that would be 30. but with shipping it adds up. Find a doner.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-upper-arch-and-orbit-rough-metal?hl=chips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.