New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 223459)

Gottlieb Turfe ???

By fredsmythson

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by I_P_D_B
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0857 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0856 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0855 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Was there ever a version of El Dorado that was made for the South American market called "Turfe?" Ebay has listed a Gottlieb Turfe backglass, but it might be for a machine that has a completely different playfield design. Or would this be a custom made backglass?

ebay.com link » Gottlieb S Pinball Original Backglass Turfe El Dorado Super Rare Version

#2 2 years ago

Very interesting! Too bad that glass looks fairly well roached. Contact ipdb. They'll want to add this to their database.

#3 2 years ago

I found no information about Turfe on IPDB or anywhere on the Web...

Some clues on this backglass: "Turfe" is a Portuguese word. It means "Turf" in English. Did Gottlieb ever make a machine that included Portuguese words? Was the market for pinball machines in Brazil back then big enough for Gottlieb to make a machine just for Brazil? Or maybe a machine was made for Portugal...

#4 2 years ago

Thank you for the emails about this glass.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of it, exactly. This glass is down in Brazil and I know Gottlieb exported knock-down games to Brazil.

https://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php#Gottlieb_Made_In_Brazil

I messaged the seller for permission to show the pics on the IPDB and asked what else s/he might know about this glass. I haven't heard back.

I notice the Gottlieb logo is not present above the score reels as seen on El Dorado. Also, the replay window is the small square, not the half-moon variety. Maybe Fipermatic made this, although the only games we show for Fipermatic came a few years later than 1975 plus they placed their name on their backglasses:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=555&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

When comparing the backglass reverse sides of Turfe with El Dorado, the silkscreened art looks to be in the same place except the GAME OVER wording in El Dorado appears to be closer to the top of the glass than it is for Turfe. In other words, GAME OVER in Turfe appears to be closer in distance to the 80 match number than it is on El Dorado, if you can see what I mean. So perhaps they had to move something inside the backbox, I'm just guessing.

Oh, but wait. Compare the front of the backglass to the El Dorado glass shown here:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=766&picno=39588

Turfe has slightly less glass (less artwork) along the bottom edge but more glass/artwork on the other three sides. Do you see this? Seems this glass would be a tight fit for a standard Gottlieb wedgehead backbox. Did the Turfe glass fit into a backbox that was NOT wedgehead?

Can someone other than me log into ebay and message the seller asking for length and width measurements?

Possible evidence of red fade exists, most convincing in the BALL IN PLAY wording.

As was pointed out, "turfe" is Portuguese for "turf". Gee, was someone encroaching on Gottlieb's turfe?

Jay

#5 2 years ago

I asked Steve Young about it today, but he couldn't shed much light on it.
Although the glass shows the name "Gottlieb", it likely was produced by a foreign manufacturer.

#6 2 years ago

It's not from Gottlieb it's missing their copyright on the bottom of the glass. I've seen similar 70's-80's bootleg glasses from Spain and Portugal.

#7 2 years ago

It might be a 3rd party conversion backglass. Maybe operators in Brazil wanted a backglass with a Portuguese title instead of a Spanish title...

#8 2 years ago

Sadly the art work looks like it ready to fall off. A trip to North America, or even to the local airport, could lead to plenty of paint loss.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Can someone other than me log into ebay and message the seller asking for length and width measurements?

The seller and I are communicating. He gave the glass measurements as 22.1 inches wide and 23.1 inches high (56cm x 58cm).

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

He gave the glass measurements as 22.1 inches wide and 23.1 inches high (56cm x 58cm).

I measured my orphaned and flaked Gottlieb "Show Boat" wedge head backglass and it is 20 inches wide and 22 inches high (50.8 cm x 55.88 cm).

The Turfe glass is about 2 inches wider and 1 inch higher. That explains its extra artwork along the sides and top.

Here is a picture of a 1972 Pop-A-Card, a wedge head backglass mounted inside its backbox, where you can see there is not extra space for a glass 2 inches wider and 1 inch taller, at least not in a standard Gottlieb wedge head backbox:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1849&picno=50320

This is not a knock-down export as Gottlieb would not have created a special size of glass nor paid for the added artwork and when it was the responsibility of the knock-down recipient to locally produce a cabinet that fit the exported backglass, playfield, and internal mechanisms mounted on their inserts. Plus, as someone pointed out, the Gottlieb copyright info is not present at bottom of the glass.

Curious that the silkscreened elements appear to be in the same proportional distance from each other except for Game Over. The Brazilian entity locally made their own backbox insert(s), it would have to be. Again, Gottlieb would not have moved the Game Over wording then made a special insert to accommodate it, nor have bothered with changing it from the half-moon replay mechanism to the standard one.

1 year later
#11 3 months ago

I never knew about this thread. Sorry to open it again, but I am the guy that ended up with the backglass via Ebay.

I have Gottlieb El Dorado and thought that this would be a great acquisition. Turns out that the dimensions are off and will NOT fit in the GTB El Dorado backbox. Oh well, a conversation piece!

It did survive the trip from South America to the SF Bay Area. I was doubtful, but pleasantly surprised.

I got the glass out of storage and wanted to share more pictures of it for those of you who wanted to know:

IMG_0855 (resized).jpegIMG_0856 (resized).jpegIMG_0857 (resized).jpegIMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 months ago

i_p_d_b Just making sure that you see this. I am very happy to help contribute this if you need these/more pictures!

#13 3 months ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

i_p_d_b Just making sure that you see this. I am very happy to help contribute this if you need these/more pictures!

Thank you but the seller did give me permission to use his pics:

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6734

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.50
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 289.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside