(Topic ID: 224988)

Gottlieb - Tropic Isle - counter repair

By TurnedWoods

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider turnedwoods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello -

Backstory - I have a 1962 Gottlieb Tropic Isle that I am working on to bring the game into complete functionality. The main board has a counter installed, I believe this records the number of times the system was played. Discovered that the axle that the counter wheels rotate on was protruding out of the left side of the enclosure. Counter does not increment, guessing that the internal mechanism is not in alignment. Plan is to remove the counter, disassemble it, make whatever repairs are needed, bench test then reinstall.

Advice / coaching needed. Have any of you taken the counter apart to make repairs? If so, any warnings or tips tied to parts with springs or other?

Would rather do a repair than replace to keep the machine as original as possible.

Thanks in advance for your input

Eric

3 months later
#9 5 years ago

Thanks for the information. Time to hook up the DVM, do a voltage measurement to confirm the circuit has power. Will pull the meter out, see if its truly hosed up mechanically. If it is, the machine will get a new meter.

Right now, I am in the process of repainting the cabinet. Back box / head has been repainted, with webbing and new stencils plus I ordered and received a new glass insert.

Will start up a separate thread about the repaint effort.

4 months later
#11 4 years ago

follow up and closure on this topic

Counter removed from the machine.
Using a DVM, confirmed that the relay providing voltage to the counter did cycle correctly and the counter would receive the count increment pulseo the
Disassembled the counter by removing the metal cover. Reseated and staked the counter shaft to the counter body.
verified counter would increment by applying power to the counter using a bench power supply set to 12V
Reassembled the counter, installed back in machine, verified operation.

Summary, this was a mechanical issue which was the result of the counter gear shaft separating from the counter housing. Did not impact the game operation. Thread may be closed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider turnedwoods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-tropic-isle-counter-repair-?tu=turnedwoods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.