Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

No_Glass (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Was trying to put the translite back in & bumped the glass against the cab. Blam-o! Never seen tempered glass explode before.
That stuff's a pain to clean up. Now I have to take apart the vacuum power head since glass is jamming the beater bar.
Do I even need tempered? I think regular would be easier to clean up. I can see it on route though.
I measured the glass before & I'm pretty sure it's 19x22x1/8". Could someone please confirm?
In the meantime I taped the picture to the head with green painters tape.

No_Glass (resized).JPGNo_Glass (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Tempered glass is much safer.

Plate glass very sharp when it breaks, and you'll likely cut yourself trying to clean it up. There's also a chance it will gouge artwork if it smashes into the game.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Backglass_Sizes

25" x 20" x 1/8"

#3 6 years ago

You have to watch Raven. She will cut you, man!

#4 6 years ago

Would a sheet of plexiglass work or would it be to flexible? That would eliminate the breaking risk.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Would a sheet of plexiglass work or would it be to flexible? That would eliminate the breaking risk.

Plexiglass scratches very easily and the translite won't "stick" to it properly like it does to glass (you'll see air pockets between the plexiglass and the translite).

#6 6 years ago

Thanks, I'll check out tempered prices.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Thanks, I'll check out tempered prices.

I recently got two made, one for an 80b and one for a System 3, they were $25-$28. Worth the money.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I recently got two made, one for an 80b and one for a System 3, they were $25-$28. Worth the money.

Was the 80B 25x20"? I just looked & when I made the replacement translite, I measured 25.5x19"

#9 6 years ago

I used Forceflows link with no issues. I remember them being round numbers.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks.

4 years later
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Was trying to put the translite back in & bumped the glass against the cab. Blam-o! Never seen tempered glass explode before.
That stuff's a pain to clean up. Now I have to take apart the vacuum power head since glass is jamming the beater bar.
Do I even need tempered? I think regular would be easier to clean up. I can see it on route though.
I measured the glass before & I'm pretty sure it's 19x22x1/8". Could someone please confirm?
In the meantime I taped the picture to the head with green painters tape.

[quoted image]

I was putting my arena glass back on today and it did the same thing, barely bumped the cabinet and it literally exploded. Very fun cleaning up that mess.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Warrington, PENNSYLVANIA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-translite-size-tempered and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.