Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ts4z
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a Genesis in need of a new transformer. It is sys 80b. Would a sys 80 or 80a transformer also work as a replacement?

#2 10 years ago

Possible. You would need to look at the prints from yours and a donor machine to make sure.

#3 10 years ago

What do you mean by prints? I dont have a manual for Genesis only one for Monte Carlo (also 80B)

#4 10 years ago

Schematic, drawings.

If you look in your manual you will probably see some at the end. That will give you the part number of the transformer.

Also what makes you think you need a transformer? They are pretty durable and rarely go bad. Was yours missing?

#5 10 years ago

I am still not 100% sure it is my problem I am just covering my angles. I have no displays on my Genesis and have traced it back to the fuse on the bottom of the cabinet which is showing basically nothing voltage wise , next to it I have another 80b and the same fuse on that one shows 27-30v or somewhere in that range and the displays work. Both fuses are fine too.
The genesis displays work when installed in the monte carlo so I am good there. The only other thing could be a bridge maybe? New to this area of the machine. I will have to do a more in depth check on things to be sure as the game is not at my house. Just thought maybe this could be my issue. I hit all of the lines coming out of the transformers on both machines. All matched up except one which was near nothing on the genesis and had a good voltage on the monte carlo.
Thanks for the replies Patofnaud.

#6 10 years ago

Transformers usually got big boom when they do go. You may be chasing a red herring as displays usually run in the 90-100v range.

Tomorrow when I get a few minutes I'll go into my workshop and grab my Haunted House (System 80) manual and see what I can give you for some checks.

Other thing you may want to start looking at is the Pinwiki for System 80's as there is a lot of good information there.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

#7 10 years ago

Ok, had a moment, grabbed some a System 80 manual. Look toward the back of your manual you should find a picture of the A2 power supply. The displays use 42VDC and 60VDC. The test points are TP1 (60VDC) and TP2 (42VDC) measured to TP3 (ground).

If those are ok, then your MPU is not driving the displays.
If those are bad, then check the 60VAC input.
If you have no 60VAC input, then you looking down in the base of the cab.

It would not be one of the bridges as those are for +12, +24 and +6VDC.

60VAC comes off the transformer through fuse F1 (1/4A SB) it will be a brown/black/black wire. It is AC so you will want to measure it across it's other side. Best spot is at the A2 board pins 7 and 8.

#8 10 years ago

WOW that is some good info. I will have to check everything this weekend and let you know my results. Thanks again

1 month later
#9 10 years ago

Ok so really none of the info above is matching up with my machine at all. I dont see any test points( tp1 tp2 etc) on the A2 board and the F1 fuse under the PF is a normal blow 250v. The A2 board is mainly the 5v to the displays etc. So I am kind of at square one again. I may be misreading it too. Where are the test points located on a system 80B?

#10 10 years ago

bump.............

#11 10 years ago

You almost certainly don't need a transformer.

The 80B power setup is not compatible with 80/80A. The power boards are not compatible, or even similar.

The bridges are on the transformer panel in the bottom of the game, on the unit that also has the fuses. My recollection is that the 42/60/whatever it is, gets rectified down there and piped up to the display, where it is filtered. It's possible that a bridge has gone open.

And, of course, beware of high voltage! There's live 110 on that transformer, and the display outputs are high, too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-transformers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.