36 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by JMPT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TPmeter (resized).JPG

#1 36 days ago

Hi.
    Has anyone ever tried to take apart a Total Play Meter ? (and put it back together!)
    I have looked all over the web, and found absolutely nothing. No spare parts, no units for sale. Nothing, people just don’t care about them…
    The problem with my unit is that when the coil activates, the first digit does not completely move to the next number, it just goes back and forth about ½ a number.
    You can view an animation of what happens at this address :
    http://jm-thoridnet.fr/flipper/meter.mp4
    There is a sprocket on the inside of the first reel, which is pushed on by the plastic part when it moves down. Something is probably worn in one or both these parts, the reason why it doesn’t rotate as much as it should. Basically the first reel is the motor.
    The way the next reel in line is incremented, is the little piece of ”cog” you see between the firsts’ reels ‘ and 5, that is the same for all the others except the last, which when it comes down to the little black cog below, turns the next reel, and so on…
    I think the only thing you can do is remove the top axel that holds the number reels. There is a circlip behind the washer next to the “9”, which in my opinion keep the axel in position. You can also see a spring before the washer

Thanks, JMPT

TPmeter (resized).JPG
    #2 36 days ago

Yes!

Took about 8 apart and now they all work perfect.

On all mine the little bar where the cogs sit, rusts and so wheels jam.

The ones I took apart were 50's, so they are different to yours.

They were fairly easy to take apart but took me ages to get back together again correctly.

#3 36 days ago

there is a little post on the first digit that gets broken off as well. one solution is to swap top digit for bottom digit but yea a real pain to get back together

#4 36 days ago

Repair parts to fix a meter are not available because you can buy a complete brand new meter for $10.

#5 35 days ago

yes, but where's the fun in that Ken?

#6 34 days ago

I took a Williams unit apart a while back because it wasn't working. Turned out to have a burned out (and badly melted) coil.

While swapping out a coil is easy, doing anything else with a play counter is not. They're a nuisance to disassemble and reassemble, and as others have pointed out, you can pick up a used working one for about $10 on eBay, which, as it happens, is what I had to spend to buy a new coil.

You could probably fix it, but for me, this falls into that "life's too short to spend much time on this" category.

My 2¢. YMMV.

#7 34 days ago

Thank you.

I agree that it’s ’’more fun to compete’’ with the fixing aspect, plus you keep the original machine intact, but it’s good to have a safety net ! There is no reason not to try now.
    Where can you buy one ?

On the fixing side, I imagined correctly, that the hard part is putting it all back together especially the reels and that little spring + washer and circplip which if I’m correct keeps the axel from slipping out. An idea might be using a paper clamp to keep them together ??
    What problems did you encounter ?

JMPT

#8 34 days ago

yep you’re right found one on ebay US :$ 14.95 +$28 shiping...
    JMPT

3 weeks later
    #9 11 days ago

If you are interestedin repairs I started a new post : How to disassemble and reasssemble a Total Play Meter.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 79.99
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.95
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside