• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Dan63
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey everyone...

This is my first post and new to the forum. Awhile back I purchased a TOPCARD pinball machine. It's a great playing game. I had it shopped out when I bought years ago, but now it seems it needs some more work. I don't know much about repairing and troubleshooting pinball machines and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as far as reference books or links or maybe offer some feed back.

The issue I'm having with the game is that it will not score any 1000 point items. What mean by that is the lanes will not score a 1000, nor will the bumpers when lit. The bumpers work fine and are functional and score 100 points when not lit, but when they are lit no points are scored. Also the star roll overs will not score a 1000 when the light on the play field advances to the 1000 point.

I'm only guessing here, but I think maybe whatever is out controls these devices? Would it be safe to say that it could be a "COIL" maybe? I don't know all the terminology and I hoping you guys can help me with this. I apologize in advance for not knowing how to explain the issue, but I'm willing to do the leg work and make the repairs or replace the parts I need to get the machine working correctly. I just don't know where to start,

#2 10 years ago

If it was me I would look on the schematic, find the relay that is for the 1000 pt scoring (left side of the schematic labeled by a letter), find that relay on the machine, most likely in the backbox on the right hand side, trigger a 1000 point score on the playfield while watching the relay and see if it fires. If it does fire your coil is good and chances are your switches on that relay are dirty and/or out of adjustment.

What happens when you roll over or hit a 1000, do you get a chime?

One of my normal routines when getting a new game is manually firing the point relays by moving the white leaf switch holder that some of the leaf switches go into. I check to see if I hear the chimes as well as to see if the score reels are responding as they should.

Here is a link to some wise words on the topic of cleaning and adjusting switches which is the usual cause of most problems. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#3 10 years ago

Thanks Jason

I did find the schematic to the game and I will try your suggestion(s) and keep you posted. When I roll over or hit a "1000" I don't get any chime at all even when the pop bumpers are lit up. When they are not lit they score a "100" and they chime.

Dan

PS: Thanks for the link!

#4 10 years ago

Sounds like the relay isn't firing at all, go to the back and trigger the relay yourself and see what happens. Check all the wires especially the ones connected to the coil. If it doesn't energize when you trigger the 1000 from the playfield just put a multimeter on the relay coil connections to see if it's getting the voltage.

#5 10 years ago

Lol. This just happened on my Top Card! The answer IS (at least it was for me) in the relay. I believe it's called the "special" relay. Mine was sticking and the switches wouldn't make good contact. Do you hear a hum when one of these specials is supposed to be active?

#6 10 years ago

All of you guys have been a great help. I'm happy I have some place to come and talk about pinball machines and hang out and actually learn something. I feel more confident and less intimidated about working on my game now.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

Did you get it running?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Did you get it running?

Similar question over here. Hate it when there's no follow-up.

#9 10 years ago

Yep^^ as I just worked on my brothers while it's still fresh in my mind ,plus I have the schematics to scan.

#10 10 years ago

Yeah I don't like the wham bam thank you ma'am either.

2 years later
#11 8 years ago

yeah it works now...sorry I was MIA

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-topcard-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.