ts_ball3 (3) (resized).jpg
ts_ball2 (2) (resized).jpg
ts_ball1 (1) (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_0808 (resized).JPG
IMG_0806 (resized).JPG
IMG_0805 (resized).JPG
Top Score Add Player Unit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Hi again,
I just tried to move the alligator clip starting point along the path of the circuit and from the looks of it, the bounce switch must not be closed. I'm guessing either it needs to be cleaned or just slightly open? I leaning more towards it being slightly open since when I tap the top part of the switch with my finger I think I hear it hit the other leaf. I measured the resistance across the switch and it was between 2 and 3 Ohms, for this type of stuff I don't
know if that's a lot or not, the continuity check on my multimeter sounded off but like you guys said earlier it likely has too high of a threshold.
phil-lee I tried to manually active the front door switch and nothing happened, I also haven't seen any sparks yet.

The anti-cheat switch should be normally closed. Clean it, and pinch it so that it makes good contact. For home use, you can jumper it out. My money was on that switch all along. I've had a few games where this was the culprit.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

jrpinball What would be the safest way to clean the contacts? I was reading on Clay's pinball repair page and he mentioned filing but at the same time he recommends against it if you've never done it before.

You can use an emery board in a pinch, but after using it, run a strip of business card-like paper through the points while holding a little pressure on the switch. If you have nothing abrasive, just running the business card strip through the switch several times may do the trick.
The Pinball Resource sells a contact cleaning strip called a Flex Stone. If you place an order there for parts, be sure to get a couple of these.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Currently dont have a nail file but i tried the business card alone with no luck i think there is actually a space between them. Would tightening the screws on the leaf switch help bring them closer?

The screws should be snug already, but that's not how the contacts are adjusted. As was said above, just jumper out that switch if it appears to be open.

#27 6 years ago

Does this game have a ball count unit? Could be that it's stuck, and can't home. Can you see a balls to play number on the backglass?

#31 6 years ago

There are several switches that will run the motor when closed. Refer to the schematic and try to narrow it down.
If you don't have one, get one from Pinball Resource.

1 month later
#71 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Are they also only suppose to reset after each ball is lost?

Anything lit for "add bonus" will pop up a red ball in the backbox. They count out individually at the end of each ball, unlike "Bowling Queen" et. al. which accumulate the balls during the entire game and dump them at the start of the next game.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

also tightened the stack screws as part of the cleaning...

This is very important, and often overlooked. It should be one of the first things you do after first popping the hood on an old game. Otherwise, any switch adjustments won't stay put, and you'll keep chasing one problem after another.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-score-barely-powering-on?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.