ts_ball3 (3) (resized).jpg
ts_ball2 (2) (resized).jpg
ts_ball1 (1) (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_0808 (resized).JPG
IMG_0806 (resized).JPG
IMG_0805 (resized).JPG
Top Score Add Player Unit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider howardr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

One thing I forgot to note, one of the score reels is currently taken apart, it came like that when I got it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I just have to get around (figure out) how to put it back together, would that prevent the beginning of the start up sequence?

Yes it could, because the score reels getting to zero is part of the startup sequence. Do at least some of the other score reels reset to zero? It would be possible to configure the switches on that score reel to make the startup sequence think it's on zero.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

if I manually moved one off of zero and then turned on the machine would that be a good test to see if reels reset to zero again?

Yes, please do that. Actually I'd move most or all off zero.

2 weeks later
#42 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

I am a little confused of the pathway the score reel coils are energized
i.e. : The add 1st "Tens" unit. Could someone tell/show me the pathway for that, just doesn't seem to make sense to me

My copy of the schematic has a paper fold that makes it hard to see, but here's the circuit that resets the 1st Tens unit. There's a separate circuit to add 10 points.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

2) The ball play lights always light up for ball 4 and 5, but 1 and 2 rarely light up and 3 sometimes does. Sometimes when 1,2, and 3 light up it's part way
through the play for that ball, I tried replacing the #2 bulb since it has never lit up but still nothing? What would the most likely issue for this be, the sockets
perhaps?
3) Sometimes the ball in play skips #2 and goes to ball #3 so then I only have 4 balls instead of 5. Any ideas for this one?

Those are most likely related to the Player unit. Are the Player unit disc snowshoes (wipers) centered on the rivets? I can post a schematic fragment if that will help you.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

howardr If you could post the schematic fragment that would be great. I think they seem okay, shifted a little to the right but not much, here's a picture of it, let me know what you think:

Probably OK but I recommend Alligator clip jumper wires to diagnose this kind of problem. Here's that schematic fragment.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Okay, I'll check this out tomorrow. I have one quick question though. Inside the dashed lines for the player unit what does the 0-1, 4-5, 8-9, etc connections represent? Is it just to do with the couple of connections that get closed as seen in my previous image (post #60)? Thanks.

0 means the #0 position on the Player unit, which is 1st ball 1st player
1 means the #1 position on the Player unit, which is 1st ball 2nd player
positions #2 and #3 are for the 4 player version of the game ( "300" ) which is why you hear 4 clicks between balls on a 1 player game

4 means the #4 position on the Player unit, which is 2nd ball 1st player
5 means the #5 position on the Player unit, which is 2nd ball 2nd player
positions #6 and #7 are for the 4 player version of the game ( "300" ) which is why you hear 4 clicks between balls on a 1 player game

and so on

3 weeks later
#76 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

Ah okay, that explains why I was getting such a small number of points when I played, I thought it was just suppose to be 100 points for each rollover/target. I do get a sort of repeating pattern for the amount of points received for successive rollovers/targets. First is usually 0 points, the second is 100 or 200 typically, and then the third time its usually about 500 points. I'm a bit confused as to why this happens though. Isn't it the same switch closing each time? If so I thought it would get around the same number of points for each target/rollover. Obviously I'm wrong since the amount of points varies in a pattern of 3. If you could explain this that would be great.

Nothing is perfectly round (except this https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSzY2RIVQAEffQJ.jpg ) including the motor cam, so the switch could easily connect intermittently.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

The new issues are that the 1st ball is always skipped, well what happens is when I turn on the machine and add coin everything resets and before I put the ball in the outhole it says ball in play is 1, then once the ball is put in the outhole and is ejected, then I plunge it to play and after a couple things that rack up points the ball in play 2 lights up).

It'd help to know what the Player unit is doing while all this is happening.

Quoted from cperro:

I was having this issue rarely originally but now it happens all the time.

That's actually progress because intermittent problems are harder to diagnose.

Quoted from cperro:

once you sink a ball it stays in the outhole for a really long time (>1 minute) before it is ejected for play. Similarly, this happens with the mystery bonus hole as well

Is the machine sitting there quietly when this happens?

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

So the player unit goes to the #1 ball in play position after the score reels are reset, the ball in play #1 light is also on. The player cam stays there after the ball is put in the outhole while the ball in play #1 light goes out when the ball is ejected from the outhole. Then once the first bunch of points are accumulated the player cam moves to the #2 ball in play position, this is the same time the ball in play #2 light turns on.

Are these lights lit before it moves to ball 2?

1 week later
#98 6 years ago

Use superglue for nonporous pieces that fit together perfectly like that.

#100 6 years ago

In addition to the superglue, you could put a piece of clear tape on the bottom and even on the top.

#102 6 years ago

Full disclosure: I've never done this. If the part isn't visible I'd think about fiber strapping tape. Otherwise I'd use clear packing tape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider howardr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-score-barely-powering-on?tu=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.