ts_ball3 (3) (resized).jpg
ts_ball2 (2) (resized).jpg
ts_ball1 (1) (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_0808 (resized).JPG
IMG_0806 (resized).JPG
IMG_0805 (resized).JPG
Top Score Add Player Unit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 6 years ago

Congratulations on Top Score. I played that machine in my youth and wound up owning it. A nail file will work in a pinch. Read Clay's guide. Very good indeed. The score motor should be free to turn by hand. Counter clockwise. Power off. It seems that someone might have worked on this machine before you got it. I am referring to the disassembled score reel. Those are delicate, but they slide right out after gently bending the plastic tab on the bottom of each. Check for other repairs that may have been attempted. It's a great game.

#28 6 years ago

The motor will spin until the score reads zero and the proper contacts at the reels are closed. You should be able to grab a manual the same way you got the schematics. Indispensable.

#34 6 years ago

I would check the AX relay as it is sensitive to adjustments and is the main relay regarding the reset sequence.

#39 6 years ago

It is a tricky thing to adjust. My take is to first adjust the interlocking tabs or clips for proper, smooth action and then adjust the leaves. There is not much travel at all so it is like micro surgery to get it right.

1 week later
#53 6 years ago

The ball count stepper isn't advancing when the ball leaves the playfield? If that is what you meant, check the trough switch. There are supposed to be 10 red plastic balls in the backbox and 1 pinball.

#56 6 years ago

The flippers buzzing on a machine of this type is normal. I will add as long as they have the correct power. That credit unit is not that common and be easily bypassed if you want to set it for free play.

#63 6 years ago

The flippers have eos switches that are probably dirty, etc. They open at the end of the stroke and should have a 1/8 inch gap. Also clean the flipper switches in the cabinet.

3 weeks later
#70 6 years ago

You mean the rollovers. They will score anytime the ball rolls over one if the score motor is not turning or the pop bumper lights are off. The bonus balls in the backglass are added by the lit rollovers and star targets, 5 spins of the spinner or the yellow hole. There are 3 latch relays that lock in succession with the 3rd ball, 4th ball and 5th ball that cause more of the star targets to light. The target with the red light is a special and also a bonus target. I also own a Top Score and will be happy to answer any questions. From what you are writing, it sounds as if your machine just needs a general tune up or shop job.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Anything lit for "add bonus" will pop up a red ball in the backbox. They count out individually at the end of each ball, unlike "Bowling Queen" et. al. which accumulate the balls during the entire game and dump them at the start of the next game.

The red bonus balls will also count down anytime the the red saucer hole is made.

#74 6 years ago

It sounds as if the switches on the score motor that score the points aren't properly registering. Every rollover or target is supposed to score 500 points. That is 1/3 the full rotation of the score motor cam. So you might see 100, then 200, then 300 or something similar and then it will repeat. Don't go crazy cleaning all the contacts as that can get you into trouble. The pop bumpers will darken momentarily when the score motor is rotating and when that occurs, any target except a 10 point target will not score until the bumpers come back on.

#77 6 years ago

Switch 1A is it. You can rotate the score motor cam counterclockwise by hand. It will tilt up by pulling a cotter pin. You can also disengage the entire unit from the mounted bracket by spreading the ears carefully. These switches do get dirty and can make intermittent contact. Be careful not to disassemble it or go into it any deeper than your confidence dictates as this is the brain of the machine.

#81 6 years ago

If you haven't gotten a manual and schematic, I recommend doing so. To get this machine working by fixing one item only to chase down another is going to take you more time than if you follow this guide.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Introduction

or Clay's guide
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#83 6 years ago

I stayed away from the schematics when I tuned mine up. It was my first machine. However, I was able to see which switches were operating correctly just by moving the associated relay or whatever and see if the contacts were opening and closing. A light rub with a flexstone and then a quick blast with some dustoff and the switches are typically clean. I also tightened the stack screws as part of the cleaning. One relay that may be giving you a headache is the KS relay attached to the underside of the playfield. There are several threads about cleaning and adjusting that one. It unplugs from the machine so it can be easily looked at. It is a lot, but once it's adjusted and working well, it will stay that way for a long time.

#88 6 years ago

The KS relay is responsible for the progression of the spinner lights and scoring a bonus from that and the alternating flashing of the lights in the bagatelle lanes on the right side of the playfield. Depending on whether the jones plug is set for liberal or conservative, it turns the special light on and off.

#93 6 years ago

Is it on zero? If not, it will only go to a maximum of 9 or less if the screw is in the wheel.

#95 6 years ago

Both of those functions are controlled by the black cam in the center of the KS relay. It is either dirty or out of adjustment. Be careful with this thing as it it very sensitive to adjustments. You ate correct in that the sequence lights are supposed to advance to the top one at the start of each ball. The special star rollover at the top of the playfield will alternate with the spinner if the jones plug is set in the middle for liberal - conservative.

#99 6 years ago

You can try to repair that, but I have seen that piece broken on several machines. Mine included. Repair didn't work for me. I just went for a new repro plastic set. It's perfect.

#103 6 years ago

You could cut your own if you had a dremel router setup. I don't know what kind of plastic. It is more flexible than Lucite.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from cperro:

D-Gottlieb Willbeem One quick question, does the game over light take a flashing #455 bulb? Thanks.

That's what's in mine, but a 47 or 44 is usually what winds up in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-score-barely-powering-on?tu=d-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.