You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
0Top-Score-Work-02 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi All, I've been bringing a Gottlieb Top Score back to life over the last few weeks. This really was a barn find machine and has been totally out of action for 5-6 years. It's pretty much running well now, but I'm left with a couple of annoying issues I can't seem to resolve.

The first and more important is, I can't seem to get the backglass bonus balls to score absolutely consistently and it doesn't score the odd one. Think I've cleaned and adjusted all of the relevant switches and I've taken the back out and realigned the ball ramps so the balls run properly in the channels. The supporting brackets for these channels are not too strong and seem to bend down over with the force of the balls being applied. I have improved matters a lot but I can't seem to get it 100%.

The second issue involves the credit or replay unit. This pin has had a free play button added and the replay unit wiring and switch removed. Personally though I do like to use my pins as big piggy banks and like the experience of adding credits with coins. So I dug out an old coin mech "readjusted" it to accept our new £1 coins, also found an old Bally coin slot microswitch in my spare parts and with a bit of fiddling reconnected the replay unit wiring to this switch and fitted the switch under the coin mech. It all works fine, however whatever I do I get 3 credits per coin. Again I've gone through the schematic and cleaned and adjusted all relevant switches (paying particular attention to the score motor switches) but I can't seem to get it to acknowledge the credits per coin settings.

I'm hoping for suggestions on troubleshooting these issues, particularly as this is my first Gottlieb!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from TinyToo:

whatever I do I get 3 credits per coin.

What do you want it to do?
Does the 2nd Chute (W) relay activate when you insert a coin?

Here's the circuit that should give 2 credits per coin.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Hi TinyToo, HowardR +
I happen to like to do "work" in MS-Paint --- taking stuff and show it in an JPG. I show more detailled what HowardR shows in his post-2. A preowner did some work on the Replay stuff - adding "free play button" - taking out stuff.

Coining up an fully running Top Shot (see the JPG): The W-Relay is made pulling and the Score-Motor runs to make a third of a revolution (Gottlieb Score-Motors are built 120 degrees symmetrical). Within this turn of 120 degrees the motor closes FIVE times motor-1A-Switch (marked green in the JPG) --- when the 2nd chute adj. is plugged-in at "please five replays": A Jumper jumpers a distance - jumpers motor-4B, -4C, -2B switches. The FIVE pulses from motor-1A reach the Replay-step-up-Coil.
Look in the Motor Sequence Chart in the JPG --- Switchstack on motor-4B ("my brown") actuates before - while - after "motor-1A the third time" actuates --- the opening of motor-4B suppresses the third shot of motor-1A. Same with motor-4C (my blue) and 2C (my yellow).

Maybe (but probably not); The preowner has wired "3 replays for a coin" - connecting wire-of-color-black-mingled-with-white (?) to solder-lug on motor-4C and/or solder-lug on motor-4B - to the connecting wire BL+BLK. Maybe - probably not --- I am now just guessing: motor-4B or motor-4C or motor-2C is faulty - NOT TRUELY opening. I have never done the "unplugging the wire that feeds electricity to the real motor --- then manually slow turning the motor" - listen WHEN does the Replay-Unit step up --- figuring out WHAT switch (three do) on motor-1A makes the Replay-Unit step-up --- You may try just starring at the motor (normal speed) and listen to the Replay-Counter --- OR YOU may simply check the switches and the wiring on motor-4B, -4C, -2C (?).

"bonus not consistently": I do not know the pin (well, have played it some 40 years ago) --- please write in detail about the problem. Greetings Rolf

0Top-Score-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Top-Score-Work-02 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

Thanks for your replies, in answer to HowardRs question, yes the W relay does activate when a coin is inserted. I will look at Rolfs post in more detail when I have finished painting the house which is my job for the next couple of days! What I want it to do is to add 1 or 2 credits according to how the credits Jones plug is set. I know this isn't an important issue, but I do like things to work as they should.

#5 5 years ago

Rolf,

Top Score has a backglass animation for accumulating the bonus score. Balls are fired up from a bottom rack into a top rack and when the ball in play is lost or a bonus award hole is made each ball is fired back down to the bottom rack and 1000 points is awarded for each ball (2000 on the last ball in play). I cannot get this working consistently, it occasionally misses scoring a 1000 points and it's not the same ball on each occasion. On the last ball it occasionally awards 1000 instead of 2000. Again this can occur on any ball.

I was in your neck of the woods the other day, spent a week walking in the gorgeous Lauterbrunnen valley!

#6 5 years ago

If the bonus occasionally skips 1000 and occasionally gives 1000 when it should give 2000, the most likely 2 switches are these, on on the Bonus Score (K) relay and one on the motor.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#7 5 years ago

Thanks for this HowardR, I will give these switches another clean and adjustment and let you know the result.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks HowardR, it was motor switch 3B. Cleaned and adjusted it again and now it works fine. Just goes to show you may think you have cleaned and adjusted the switches, but sometimes you still need to do it again!

#9 5 years ago

Finally resolved the credits issue so that the right number of credits are added according to the Jones plugs credit settings. The gapping of the score motor switches involved is very precise and they can be too closely gapped as well as having too large a gap. I guess this is all about timing, the gaps affect the timing of when the switches open and close and it is not just an issue of them opening and closing, but also when they make or break contact.

Thanks HowardR and Rolf for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-score-2-slightly-annoying-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.