(Topic ID: 98041)

Gottlieb Top Card - Restore BG? Yes or No.

By dtown

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dtown
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“New back glass or not?”

• Yes 4 votes
    44%
  • No 5 votes
    56%

(9 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gollum4.jpg
toddsteve.jpg
bonanza bg - before and after 002.jpg
bonanza bg - before and after 005.jpg
bonanza bg 007.jpg
bonanza bg 004.jpg
IMAG0922.jpg
IMAG0926.jpg
IMAG0929.jpg
IMAG0924.jpg
IMAG0923.jpg
P1010425.JPG
P1010424.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Before everyone just starts yelling "yes, yes, yes" hear me out and tell me why I should or shouldn't.

I bought this game off ebay about a month ago for a little over $350.00. Here's the listing.

ebay.com link: 1974 Gottlieb 034 Top Card 034 Single Player Wedgehead Pinball Machine

The playfield is really nice and the game appears complete. I have not gone through it yet. The cabinet is average. Its got the usual wear but the colors are still strong. I've managed to get most of the writing off the backbox but some of it was done with ball point pen so it's imprinted into the wood. The coin door has a bunch of pry marks so there's a hundred bucks if I want to replace it. The legs are ok and should shine up decent.

The back glass is really bad. Big sections of the art are gone. It was falling apart as I was taking it out of the box. I've Krylon'd what's left so check out the below pics. Since then I've started some paint work on the BG but it wasn't going very well. It's just a LOT to redo and I'm no artist. I can do some simple touch up but this is much more than that. I did some of the blue in the title letters and near the bottom left and it's serviceable. The problem is I have a long road ahead of me, especially in the top of the glass with the detail under the blimp.

I looked around for a repro, used or NOS BG for Top Card and, surprisingly, I couldn't find any of the big sites to have one. I emailed at least five of them. I contacted bgresto about two weeks ago and they got back to me tonight. Steve told me it would be $245.00 with shipping for a new Top Card BG. I've heard nothing but great things about this company so I'm not doubting the quality of the piece I'll receive. It's the investment I'm doubting. Now, like most of us, I never count my time when fixing a game. That would be crazy. However, I do count the parts.

Basically what I'm asking is "is it worth dropping $245.00 for a new BG for this game?" I know it's a semi popular Gottlieb wedgehead. I know it's a fast and fairly unique player and I'll be keeping it for a little while but I'm not well off enough to just sink money into a pin if I'm going to lose my butt on it when it comes time to sell.

Another way to put it is "what do you believe a working Top Card located in the northeastern U.S. to be worth with a new BG, nice playfield, average cabinet and a jacked up coin door?" Also, if I go the route of getting the BG, should I just pull the trigger on a repro coin door from Steve Young? That's over $700.00 before any other work is done.

Also, not that this really makes any difference, but, according to the guy I bought it from, this game once belonged to Williams programmer Duncan Brown.

Please, give me your thoughts.

P1010424.JPGP1010424.JPG
P1010425.JPGP1010425.JPG

#14 9 years ago

One of the places I contacted was in Canada. They had a Top Card listed on their site. The response I received was that they couldn't find the glass and that it wasn't in the place it should be. Not sure if that's the place you're talking about. I think I'm gonna hold off till I finish the game and play it for a while.

3 months later
#23 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

So---- what did you end up doing on this one?

Though the game is going to have wait till spring for me to get to it, I ended up buying a really nice original from Mayfair at the York Show. It's still wrapped up in my den. $175.00 with just a little chipped paint at the edges which you don't see anyway.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the original. Thinking about just touching it up over the winter to frame it.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

BGresto.com can restore your top card glass. a lot cheaper than conway or johns jukes.

Bgresto wanted $245 and I had to send them my original. Guess cause they don't have it on file.

#30 9 years ago

Regarding sealing does everybody still think "unless it's flaking, leave it alone" ??

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

When I bought my TC several years ago, I needed a glass for it. I emailed Steve at Mayfair, and he didn't have one.
I don't ever go by the website.

I went by walking into the York Show, looking to the left and seeing Mayfair's giant booth of backglasses, spotting a Top Card for $195.00, asking the short guy that looks kinda like Gollum from Lord of the Rings (Steve?) if he can do any better. I was buying some other stuff and he said he could do $175.00. Deal made. No shipping. Wrapped up. Waiting to be installed. I gotta admit I think I was damn lucky he had one there. Not many wedge head BG's on the rack.

PS. Though I'm not new to the hobby, I haven't put all the dealer's faces to names yet. Regardless of the smart ass remark, the short guy was really nice. I'd give them my money again in a heart beat.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Yes, I would never seal unless the paint is flaking. IMO, TT is just for saving a flaking glass, anything else and you're taking a chance of doing more harm than good.

Quoted from jrpinball:

It's up to you, but for home use in a stable temperature/humidity environment, an NOS glass should hold up almost indefinitely. I'd use #47s in the lightbox to keep the heat down.

Ok. So no sealing it is. I kinda like Coin Taker's retro warm white LED's. I bought a bunch at the York Show when the deals are good. I think I'm gonna use them so heat will not be an issue. We'll see come the spring when I get to TC.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know what Gollum looks like, but Steve is rather short in stature. If he handled the backglass, it was him, no doubt. He's a great guy, and has lots and lots of pinball stuff. My buddy needed a "TC" backglass and I picked it up from Steve at last year's York show. He had two actually, so maybe you got the other one. As I said, I think he has stuff that he doesn't even know about. If he says he doesn't have a glass, ask him again maybe a month or so later, and he may find it by then.

Found this photo of Todd Tucky and Steve. Obviously, an older photo.

toddsteve.jpgtoddsteve.jpg

When I met him, he just kinda reminded me of this guy.

gollum4.jpggollum4.jpg

But, yes, he was a nice guy and extremely knowledgeable. I needed a new drop target for my Liberty Bell and he knew right away what it was and that it was actually a Stern drop target that they used on there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-card-restore-bg-yes-or-no?tu=dtown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.