• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1_(resized).jpg
relay_index_001_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Gottlieb Top Card. Power it up, push the start button, a game is subtracted from the credit wheel and all the lights lite up, the start relay pulls in and everything resets and the start relay releases, the hold relay pulls in (and stays in), but nothing works. No flippers, nothing on the playfield, the ball count doesn't move to ball #1, nada.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Is the ball coming up the trough into the shooter lane? If it is and nothing works still, then your trough switch isn't making. The trough switch has to close to step the ball count unit up to ball one and enable everything on the playfield to work.

#3 7 years ago

I'd check the Q relay. A misadjusted switch there would make the game think that it's in Game Over mode and never turn any of the playfield features or flippers on.

Is a ball getting kicked out of the outhole at all or is that dead, too?

#4 7 years ago

The ball doesn't move. Just stays in the outhole under the apron...and the switch under it does in fact make. Removing the ball from the hole, and closing the switch it would roll over if properly kicked out, also does nothing.

The Q relay is the, 8-K Sequence Complete...and it looks to be properly adjusted.

relay_index_001_(resized).jpgrelay_index_001_(resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

The outhole relay will be activated by the outhole switch making. It will pull in and lock on via a switch on that relay and the score motor runs. There is a normally open score motor switch that will activate the outhole coil and kick the ball up, another normally closed motor switch opens and releases the outhole relay. I own the game but I can't get to my schematic right now. What you want to do is find on the schematic the outhole relay and the outhole coil, and locate, clean and adjust all switches in those two paths.

If everything else is resetting, I don't believe the game thinks it is in game over. Something is causing the outhole relay not to activate. Are you sure the outhole relay coil is good, no broken wires etc?

Try this test. Start a game, and then manually close your trough switch. See if that steps the ball count unit to ball one and gets the playfield live.

#6 7 years ago

same problem, still working on mine

#7 7 years ago

I have nothing labeled Outhole Relay. Could it be the "Ball Return relay" (O) ? Am I correct that what you're calling the "outhole switch", on the schematic is labeled "Ball Return Switch", which would mean your "outhole relay", on the schematic is called the "Ball Return relay" (O)? (image of what I believe to be the relevant part of the schematic is attached here).

Starting a game, then manually closing the trough switch does nothing.

Thanks so much for helping.

Untitled-1_(resized).jpgUntitled-1_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Assuming the above is correct, if I HOLD in the Ball Return relay (it doesn't lock in), the score motor turns and the ball is kicked up. Still though, nothing "works" (no flippers, nothing on the playfield).

#9 7 years ago

Check the jones plugs going from the bottom board and the playfield to the head. Make sure these are all plugged in correctly.

If that isn't the problem, check the switch stack on the back side of the ball count stepper, in particular the 6th position switch. If this switch isn't closed and making good contact, then the O relay won't get power. It is labeled "6th position ball count unit" on the schematic. The switch contacts may be dirty and/or out of adjustment, or there may be a wire busted off at the solder lug of one of the switch blades.

- TimMe

#10 7 years ago

Sorry, working without a schematic I didn't realize the Q relay wasn't going to be a Game Over relay in this game. My apologies. I wasn't trying to say the game would actually be in Game Over, but one of the switches that makes the game switch between being in Game Over to live might be misadjusted. On the Gottlieb schematic I had handy, all the flippers and playfield switches were connected to the main power line through a switch on the Q relay. Maybe that only holds true on certain models of Gottlieb multiplayer?

Anyway, I'd be looking for a switch that should be providing a path from the transformer to the flippers. The 6th position switch, as TimMe mentioned, might fit the bill. I'd be looking down the right side of the schematic for a switch that should be closed, but in your game actually isn't, even if it looks like it is.

#11 7 years ago

TIMME! You got it! It was in fact a switch on the back of the Ball Counter out of adjustment. thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! If I could email you a 6 pack, I would.

IT PLAYS! Looks like there's some other playfield scoring issues, but these should be easier and within my grasp. I hope one day I get good enough at this to help others.

THANK YOU to everyone for helping.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-card-no-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.