Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Chime Unit (resized).jpeg
Top Card Hundreds Chime (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Novice pinball person here. How is the wiring supposed to look like to each chime unit to make the specific sounds for scoring 10, 100, 1000 points? My game only chimes one time, "ding", when the ball hits a scoring target on the sides, which is supposed to chime for 1000 points. When I watch other Top Card games being played on youtube, I hear "ding,ding,ding,ding,ding" when one of the side targets get hit for 1000 points. The bumpers, slingshots, lanes, and roll overs seem to sound correct, and all scoring is correct. Is my chime unit wired incorrectly, or is a switch not working properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a schematic for this game. Thank you.

#2 2 years ago

Something sounds odd. If your game hits a 1000 point target it should chime once with the 1000 point chime. Hard to understand why the YouTube machines should chime five times - that should be reserved for 50 points (10 chime times five) or 500 points (100 chime times five.) yours sounds correct, but all the other machines being coincidentally wrong doesn’t add up

#3 2 years ago

I don’t have the game and may be wrongly assuming it has 10, 100, and 1,000 chimes. If not just ignore the post

#4 2 years ago

I believe that the targets score 500 points (5 dings on the middle chime) in 5 ball mode and 1000 points (1 ding on the long chime) in 3 ball mode. There is an adjustment, inside the backbox I think, to switch between the two modes.

/Mark

#5 2 years ago

Wow, okay very helpful, and thank you both. So, I've never had the game on 5 ball, so I switched it to 5 ball, and the hundreds reel of course counted off 5 hundred points by hundreds when I hit one of the side targets, but absolutely no chime sound this time at all. Just the clicking noise of the scoring reel counting off the 500 points when the target gets hit. Now what? By the way, I kind of like the 5 ball scoring now.

#6 2 years ago

Does the game chime any other time you score 100 points? Or if you roll over from 90 to 100? Either way, there's a switch on the M/100 point relay in the back box that connects a green-white wire to a red+white wire. It may not be working.
Top Card Hundreds Chime (resized).jpgTop Card Hundreds Chime (resized).jpg
Check to see if it's closing and maybe clean the contacts it with a business card.

/Mark

#7 2 years ago

If the relay is actuating, here are the possibilities:

1. The contacts for the chime on the 100 point relay are dirty or misadjusted.
2. The end of stroke switch on the score reel isn’t causing the relay the stay energized long enough for the chime to sound.
3. There is a break in the wire shown in the schematic above, between the relay and the chime. Note that this wire has a long journey, from the relay, through the jones plug, along the bottom board, and to the coil.
4. The chime coil is bad or is missing the connection to the black wire.
5. The chime plunger is missing or stuck in the coil sleeve or stuck to the rubber cushion on the bottom of the unit.

The most common issues would be #1 and #5 in my experience. Lots of possible past history with these machines due to their long lives.

Good luck,
Dave

#8 2 years ago

... and here's a pic of the chime unit and its wiring. That blue jumper wire connects all the common terminals together and to the black common wire.

Chime Unit (resized).jpegChime Unit (resized).jpeg

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I believe that the targets score 500 points (5 dings on the middle chime) in 5 ball mode and 1000 points (1 ding on the long chime) in 3 ball mode. There is an adjustment, inside the backbox I think, to switch between the two modes.
/Mark

That is correct and the game sounds much better in 5 ball mode when you hear the 5 dings when any of the 13 targets are hit.

#10 2 years ago

Thank you all again, and Dave, you were correct. The contacts on the 100 point relay needed to be cleaned. Sounds good now, and I think I'll keep it on 5 ball. Those chimes sound a lot better on 5 ball. Thanks again everyone for your replies and help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
Decorations
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-top-card-chime-unit-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.