P1010893.jpg
Ball_over_Logo.jpg
Target_Pool.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

it was a sad day in 72 when gottlieb stopped using that flash bronze on parts.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Yes. This is the first time i worked on one with them. Very pretty when shined up.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

you got that right bruddah...

i guessing it was cost related? dunno...

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Had some time this afternoon for a little work. Finished the credit (or replay) unit and the large bell assembly. I love a smoooooooth running stepper.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-700.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-853.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

ahhhh... a nicely unhacked unit once again...

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

you got that right bruddah...
i guessing it was cost related? dunno...

Probably. I think it was Wayne Neyens (in an interview) who said that's why they went from wood legs and rails to metal. Costs. Metal cheaper than wood.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Probably. I think it was Wayne Neyens (in an interview) who said that's why they went from wood legs and rails to metal. Costs. Metal cheaper than wood.

grumble... dadgummed bean counters are ....

#57 8 years ago

dtown I am really enjoying this thread very much, TP is my personal all-time favourite pin and I'll own one again someday... with luck. Please keep the pics coming! ccontenj is a nice guy with excellent advice, a master pin restorer for sure.

#58 8 years ago

Thanks, Steve. I didn't have time today to work on her (lawn mowing and other chores. Grumble, grumble) and tomorrow's gonna be miserable here in PA. Maybe, Tuesday I can finish up the other two bells and the 0-9 plus score relays which would complete the back box.

Just out of curiosity, why did you sell it?

#59 8 years ago

It was a bribe from my parents back around 1973 to distract me away from drugs. For the curious... The bribe didn't work
It was an almost new Gottlieb Target pool. I played it for a couple years before becoming bored and it sat for a few years before the parents sold it again.

Now it's on the top of my wish list.
This is the only photo of my beloved machine with me tinkering in it with my best friend Doug Smith:

Working on pinball.JPGWorking on pinball.JPG

#60 8 years ago

^^^^^^^

Wow. That's all I got.

#61 8 years ago

Head's done. Would have moved to the cab but the wife and I are trying to sell the house and we had a call for a showing tomorrow so....gotta clean. Can't wait to move. I belong in the country.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#62 8 years ago

Every change that was ever made was not for playability issues. It was for cost. Wood to metal, the trip banks to the Ax/Bx, the abominable AS relays, you name it.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Every change that was ever made was not for playability issues. It was for cost. Wood to metal, the trip banks to the Ax/Bx, the abominable AS relays, you name it.

I lament the switch from metal to plastic posts.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

^^^^^^^
Wow. That's all I got.

1. Cool pic
2. Drifters?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

1. Cool pic
2. Drifters?

Looks like the power was off so Steve's safe! He was getting pretty close to that transformer.

#66 8 years ago

Regarding my pic, I don't know what I miss most. The game or the hair.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Every change that was ever made was not for playability issues. ..., the trip banks to the Ax/Bx, ...

Who needs a trip bank when you have a dozen-plus drop targets??

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Regarding my pic, I don't know what I miss most. The game or the hair.

at least i have the game...

hair, there is a serious shortage of...

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Who needs a trip bank when you have a dozen-plus drop targets??

Uhh, what?

2 weeks later
#70 8 years ago

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that I haven't given up on the Target Pool....or died.

My wife are in the middle of selling our house and finding another. It's been a stressful mess so, once I finished the head, I didn't want to start with the cabinet as we all know it's a lot of work stripping the entire thing.

Hopefully I can get to her by the end of the summer but she (along with the Top Card and Sunshine) aren't going anywhere.

I can't wait for this house mess to end. I know most people just sell their house and buy another. Not so simple with my luck. I always seem to get screwed with this. Something always seem to come up to muck up the works.

I can't wait to get back to fixing pinball. As strange as it sounds I miss the foul stench of dried white lithium grease that someone thought was a good idea to use on a stepper unit. No matter how many times I wash my hands I can't seem to get it off.

See you in a few months.

2 months later
#71 8 years ago

I had about an hour or so today to get back to work on the TP. Guts removed and cabinet had initial vacuuming. Playfield glass washed and placed someplace safe. Still have to remove the coin door and lockdown bar receiver. Had a stuck leg bolt that someone had broken off the head. Some PB blaster and vice grips took care of that but it loosened up the leg bolt bracket's nail holes. So..removed the nails, filled with wood filler, and will reinstall when dry. Maybe use screws. We'll see. Once I remove the coin door, etc. I'll start on stripping the latex off the cabinet. That'll be fun.

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg
image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#72 8 years ago

That's great work on your project! Love it!

The cabinet looks so much better than before. I've also had loose/falling out leg T-nuts. I filled the waller'd out nail holes with wedges (slivers) of hardwood and a good wood glue then re-nail.

I am curious to know what your plans are about your coin slots. I see you have the outside bracket and inside chutes for 3 slots, but it appears your door is missing some rejector parts (Hate when that happens!).

I really enjoyed going through my own Target Pool project. Enjoying it more now it's done. I think you will too! Looks like you're doing a good, loving and thorough job. A great match for its owner.

Thanks for updating and the pics!

#73 8 years ago

Hey Steve, thanks a lot. I actually haven't got to stripping the cabinet latex yet. Just the head. What does it look like I'm missing from the coin door? I have new coin entry plates to add and get rid of those stupid wood grain plates. All the rejectors and shutes are present. There's even a coin mech still there. How often do you see that? Maybe tomorrow, if I get time I'll soak the coin door in Evapo-Rust once I take all of the wired stuff off.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#74 8 years ago

Time to get started. Plastic scraper-check, rags-check,alcohol-check...hmmm...can I drink this???

image.jpgimage.jpg

#75 8 years ago

Looks like fun? Doesn't it?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Hey Steve, thanks a lot. I actually haven't got to stripping the cabinet latex yet. Just the head. What does it look like I'm missing from the coin door? I have new coin entry plates to add and get rid of those stupid wood grain plates. All the rejectors and shutes are present. There's even a coin mech still there. How often do you see that? Maybe tomorrow, if I get time I'll soak the coin door in Evapo-Rust once I take all of the wired stuff off.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yup it all looks complete. Somehow it looked like the center coin rejector hardware was missing but I just didn't look close enough. In fact your door still has the lockout parts. Some folks take that out. Not me, I like to keep it original as possible.
My own Target Pool's lockout stuff is missing.

Be sure to order a new red start button from PBR. It really dresses it up. Evaporust should do wonders for your door shell and other rusty parts.

#77 8 years ago

In my last project, I put my coin reject buttons in a drill then smoothed them over with #300 sandpaper, then #500 paper and polished with #0000 steel wool. Then prevented future corrosion by applying Mini wax paste wax and buff. They look new.

I'm glad that latex stuff comes off fairly easily.

#78 8 years ago

One side done!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#79 8 years ago

Cabinet has been stripped of latex (for the most part). The gouges that were down to the wood was a little tougher. Cleaned and polished a bunch of metal and have two legs and the lock down bar soaking over night. Not bad for working twelve hours last night with no sleep. Now...time to shower and grill some chicken!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#80 8 years ago

Up early because the wife and I have a road trip for this morning. Trust me. It's not a fun one. Anywho, I took out two of the legs (guess which two) and the lockdown bar from their nightly bath in Evapo-Rust and they look really nice. Wiped the bar down with a sponge and then washed with the hose. Used 0000 steel wool lightly on the legs. Not brand new but they do look good.

One mistake I made was I cut my PVC pipe a little too long so I could not just grab the legs out of it. I drained the solution into a bucket and, eventually, back into the pipe for the next two. I guess you really can't avoid this if you're doing 31" AND 28.5" legs as well but I cut my pipe at 34". With the caps adding an inch or so, I could have done with a cut pipe of 32".

image.jpgimage.jpg

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

One mistake I made was I cut my PVC pipe a little too long so I could not just grab the legs out of it. I drained the solution into a bucket and, eventually, back into the pipe for the next two. I guess you really can't avoid this if you're doing 31" AND 28.5" legs as well but I cut my pipe at 34". With the caps adding an inch or so, I could have done with a cut pipe of 32".

If you are clever, you can reach in with a coat hanger wire, or pre-install before sliding into the tube.

#82 8 years ago

A nice improvement. I chose to spray the start button a ruby red color instead of just replacing it. I like the look. Time to start with the mech board.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

1 week later
#83 8 years ago

Putting the playfield back together. Hoping to get the game done by tomorrow. I added those little pads behind all the targets that have backers for a little extra protection. I did have to make the switches a little closer because the pads create more resistance. I still have to order a tilt bob and rod because the original was bent to hell.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#84 8 years ago

It's gonna be a beauty! My fave EM of all time!

#85 8 years ago

Looks like Marcos has a mistake in their rubber ring kit. It calls for one 3.5" for the entire center bank AS WELL as 5/16"'s for the center posts. Anybody know what the right size is for the upper slings? 3"? Maybe?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

It calls for one 3.5" for the entire center bank AS WELL as 5/16"'s for the center posts.

I'd guess that there's a post hidden under the plastic, and the 3.5" ring wraps up and over that (forming kind of a chevron or delta wing shape). Then the 5/16" go on the posts between the targets.

Seems OK.

[edit] - yeah, I can see in your picture that the ring is across all the posts in front, so that it runs behind the standup targets. It doesn't go that way - just need to lift it up and move it back behind the post that's behind all the targets, in the middle. Then the 5/16" go on all those posts instead.

#87 8 years ago

Zoom on the last photo of the playfield. It looks like there are 4 posts above the target bank, there should be 2 rubber rings there. Creating a V shape. The post spacing on the right side is shorter than the left.

#88 8 years ago

The first photo is the included 3.5" rubber wrapped around one of the slings. How is this supposed to also go around the other? Maybe I'm not thinking 4th dimensional but I don't see it. I took off rubbers for each sling when removing the old...which had been on there a long time. Not ONE rubber for both. I did have some 4.5" left over from the Genco project from last winter when there were no kits so I bought what I thought I might need. In the mean time I wrapped one of them around the whole area.

IMG_0777.JPGIMG_0777.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0773.JPG

#89 8 years ago

That playfield's in really nice shape. Did you do touchups?

#90 8 years ago

Ok, different config than I was guessing, with the two offset pairs of posts for the kickers. But the 5/16" go on six posts that are between the standups.

So then it does look like two separate rings would go on the kickers. Maybe another 3.5"-ish (3.25"?)

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

That playfield's in really nice shape. Did you do touchups?

Other than some minor planking the playfield's in excellent shape. This pop cap touch up was the extent of paint touch up from me. The numbers had started to fade.

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Ok, different config than I was guessing, with the two offset pairs of posts for the kickers. But the 5/16" go on six posts that are between the standups.
So then it does look like two separate rings would go on the kickers. Maybe another 3.5"-ish (3.25"?)

That's what I thought Dirt Man! It's gotta be a mistake on Marco's part. Normally, I order most of my Gottlieb stuff from PBR but, for whatever reason, I had placed this order from Marco. Don't get me wrong. I love Marcos. They ship fast, have a large selection, great website, etc. I'm gonna contact them on Monday, but, I doubt they'll send me the correct rubbers for free. I'll probably end up having to order a couple 3" or 3.25" from PBR along with some other stuff I need. We'll see and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

#93 8 years ago

Looks like they sent you the wrong bulbs too.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Looks like they sent you the wrong bulbs too.

I was waiting for one of you curmudgeons to point out that I'm using LED's for the GI! HA HA HA!. Don't worry. I've kept 44's (yes, 44's because they're brighter) for the inserts. Trust me...it's gonna look bad ass! Wait for the photos and video. No Hype...

#95 8 years ago

IMG_0777.JPG is how mine is.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

IMG_0777.JPG is how mine is.

I thought so, Steve. The old rubbers had been on there a LONG time. Literally, some of them had hardened enough, I had to "break" them. The upper slings had two rubbers on them. No inch numbers though. I'm guessing 3" or 3"25".

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

It's gotta be a mistake on Marco's part. Normally, I order most of my Gottlieb stuff from PBR but, for whatever reason, I had placed this order from Marco. Don't get me wrong. I love Marcos. They ship fast, have a large selection, great website, etc. I'm gonna contact them on Monday, but, I doubt they'll send me the correct rubbers for free.

If it is their fault they will send them for free.

Ken

#98 8 years ago

Well...essentially done. I still have to order a tilt bob and rod and get the correct rubbers for the slings. However, the single 4.5" works pretty well. Anyway, here's some photos and a video. Three games. Not my best but it's difficult to play with the camera in front of you.

Target Pool.jpgTarget Pool.jpg

Ball over Logo.jpgBall over Logo.jpg

Ball_at_arrow.jpgBall_at_arrow.jpg

#99 8 years ago

P1010893.jpgP1010893.jpg

P1010907.jpgP1010907.jpg

P1010906.jpgP1010906.jpg

#100 8 years ago

P1010898.jpgP1010898.jpg

P1010902.jpgP1010902.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-target-pool-how-much/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.