Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150121_212236.jpg
Targets.jpg
painted target.jpg
gtb-a9383bt.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Picked up an Gottlieb "Aquarius" a few months back and want to replace the target faces on the game. They are very worn out and have been painted on.
I am curious to know if anyone has done these before. I attached a photo of a new face for reference.
They are riveted on to a leaf switch. My first inclination is to pull the switch and drill it out and re-rivet. These witches do not come apart. (Riveted as well). Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks!

gtb-a9383bt.jpggtb-a9383bt.jpg
#2 9 years ago

You are correct. Drill out and re-rivet new target.

#3 9 years ago

Just an FYI, the rivets used here are not your typical rivets, they are semi-tublar rivets. I use the dies from here to press them in:
http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

#4 9 years ago

Might be cheaper to ask around here and send it so someone to rivet for you....unless you plan on using all the rivet supplies frequently(cost quite a bit to do it right).

#5 9 years ago

For a charge, you can also send them to PBR to be de-riveted/riveted. They also have just the rivets to sell if you ask.

#6 9 years ago

I went the poor man's route on this & used a ball bearing, a block of hardwood & a hammer.
Worked great!
When you buy the target face from PBR it comes with the rivet.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I went the poor man's route on this & used a ball bearing, a block of hardwood & a hammer

Nice! You had a ball bearing the size of the rivet on hand? How'd you do it? I may copy your technique for the exact same target on my Jet Spin.

#8 9 years ago

Action Pinball has decals to fix this and save you a ton of time effort and money.

#9 9 years ago

i have a tubular rivet tool and would do it for FREE just send them to me
offer is for any one
postage both ways is on you.

#10 9 years ago

Terrific gesture boilerman

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i have a tubular rivet tool and would do it for FREE just send them to me
offer is for any one
postage both ways is on you.

& here I used to think all pinsiders were just powdercoaters & LED'ers. Damn fine offer Boilerman.

#12 9 years ago

With the right tools the riveting is the easiest part. I use a Dremel cut off wheel to remove old rivets because it does not spin and heat them. I bought a ton of these target faces to do after doing my 2001 in just a few minutes each. Turns out 2001 is the only GTB game I know of where the targets are screwed together instead of riveted. The riveted ones have to be desoldered, which of course is a pain. There are seven on Flip a Card. Ugh.

#13 9 years ago

Heck of a great offer, thumbs up.

Steve

Quoted from boilerman:

I have a tubular rivet tool and would do it for FREE just send them to me offer is for any one postage both ways is on you.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys... Great info here!!
I will PM you Boilerman, in regards to your more than generous offer!!!

#15 9 years ago

I try to help when I can.... I could always use a some good karma

it only take a few minutes to do and the tool cost a few bucks so I like to get my money out of it.

#16 9 years ago

And its a tool that would normally sit on the shelf, hard to justify (the space). Just picked up a target pool, only about 30 targets on that game

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And its a tool that would normally sit on the shelf, hard to justify (the space). Just picked up a target pool, only about 30 targets on that game

those target faces are hard to come by. I call my target pool the 2001 of stand up targets

2 weeks later
#18 9 years ago

Just a note of THANKS !!! to Boilerman...
I just cant say enough for the good will and generosity of the EM guys...

The problem...

painted target.jpgpainted target.jpg

Thanks to a little help from a friend...

Targets.jpgTargets.jpg
#19 9 years ago

Just waiting to pop these back in.

Case closed!!

#20 9 years ago

very nice, really spiffs up the game.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Action Pinball has decals to fix this and save you a ton of time effort and money.

Got one of these decals...looks perfect and didn't have to rivet.

1 week later
#22 9 years ago

All back in again... Love 'em!! 20150121_212236.jpg20150121_212236.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Indeed. New target faces really make the game pop.

#24 9 years ago

I always replace with new when possible, I really dislike the look of art worn off the target face from the ball. Because of this, I go one step further. I have a punch that's the size of the rivet head that I use to punch a hole in 2 mill mylar. Then I apply the mylar over the target, press out the air and trim off the excess with a fingernail clipper. Then the art never wears off, I do the same for my drop targets too.

Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-target-face-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.