You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Target-Alpha-Work-32 (resized).jpg
TA start up (resized).jpg
TA score motor (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I picked up a Gottlieb Target Alpha a couple months ago, it’s been a blast to play. I have a bonus scoring issue that occurs intermittently. The non scoring issue only occurs after the 1st ball drains for 1st player only, the bonus unit does not start, ball simply hits outhole and quickly shoots out for 2nd ball without the bonus unit ever kicking in. This occurs in approximately 1 out of every 10 games after only the first ball. The bonus unit works perfectly fine for all other balls. It’s been a MAJOR thorn in my side for weeks, everything in the circuit has been checked/adjusted/cleaned numerous times. It’s frustrating having a great 1st ball, hitting 10-15 targets without getting your bonus points afterwards. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Added over 6 years ago:

UPDATE-NON-SCORING BONUS ISSUE RESOLVED!
Thank you to everyone for all your posts, greatly appreciated!! Sorry it's been a while since I posted. This non-scoring bonus issue has been a major headache. Everything that was suggested was looked at in great detail. After being frustrated repeatedly, I finally decided to throw a phone and light inside the coin door to record the bonus stepper while everyone was playing. Well, the non-scoring bonus issue occurred again and it was recorded. After watching the video, I noticed the bonus stepper did not reset properly when the start button was pressed again to add more players. I know the start button to add players will not function immediately after starting a game however the button to add players does function once the score reels have reset but that's still a second or two before the ball gets kicked out. It’s always been a habit (in this case, ended up being a bad habit) to wait for that certain sound then you know the start button will work to add other players. Once I knew the cause, I was actually able to duplicate this issue several more times. I determined this intermittent bonus issue only occurs when you add 2nd, 3rd or 4th players, the one player games work fine.

So basically, the problem appears if the motor is still running at the exact moment the ball rolls over that switch at the shooter lane, this switch resets the bonus stepper. This is why it was intermittent and only occurring for 1st ball for first player only. Crazy how it ended up being something so simple. We now wait until the ball is in the shooter lane to add players.

#2 6 years ago

I've had issues like this before. Tearing apart the bonus stepper and cleaning / ajusting everything sorted out problems.

#3 6 years ago

I wouldn't start ripping things apart for an intermittent problem like that.
I wonder if the start up cycle is not completing for some reason. Check #8.

TA score motor (resized).jpgTA score motor (resized).jpg
TA start up (resized).jpgTA start up (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Hi Pincraze
welcome to pinside. The Target Alpha has NOT an conventional Bonus-Ladder. At the end of every ball the socalled Bonus-Unit is stepped through all positions - in every position a little stop and the brain of the pin checks "do I have to give points because the Drop-Target in this position has dropped" - and on and on (stepping).

See the JPG - end of a ball - the green 1,2,3,4,5, ...6 is closed because the ball has rolled into the Outhole. And now my green question-marks --- I believe: along / through the bottom (in the JPG) two question marks --- IF (if, if the DX-Relay did not actuate or the Switch on DX-Relay with wire-red-green and wire-orange-mingled-with-white is NOT-TRUELY closed --- and/or the switch (the other side of the switch) wire-black-mingled-with-white and wire-orange-mingled-with-white is faulty closed: PROBLEMS. I would have a good luck at the DX-Relay, especially on this three-bladed M&B-Switch. Greetings Rolf

0Target-Alpha-Work-32 (resized).jpg0Target-Alpha-Work-32 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Pincraze:

I picked up a Gottlieb Target Alpha a couple months ago, it’s been a blast to play. I have a bonus scoring issue that occurs intermittently. The non scoring issue only occurs after the 1st ball drains for 1st player only, the bonus unit does not start, ball simply hits outhole and quickly shoots out for 2nd ball without the bonus unit ever kicking in. This occurs in approximately 1 out of every 10 games after only the first ball. The bonus unit works perfectly fine for all other balls. It’s been a MAJOR thorn in my side for weeks, everything in the circuit has been checked/adjusted/cleaned numerous times. It’s frustrating having a great 1st ball, hitting 10-15 targets without getting your bonus points afterwards. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

UPDATE-NON-SCORING BONUS ISSUE RESOLVED!
Thank you to everyone for all your posts, greatly appreciated!! Sorry it's been a while since I posted. This non-scoring bonus issue has been a major headache. Everything that was suggested was looked at in great detail. After being frustrated repeatedly, I finally decided to throw a phone and light inside the coin door to record the bonus stepper while everyone was playing. Well, the non-scoring bonus issue occurred again and it was recorded. After watching the video, I noticed the bonus stepper did not reset properly when the start button was pressed again to add more players. I know the start button to add players will not function immediately after starting a game however the button to add players does function once the score reels have reset but that's still a second or two before the ball gets kicked out. It’s always been a habit (in this case, ended up being a bad habit) to wait for that certain sound then you know the start button will work to add other players. Once I knew the cause, I was actually able to duplicate this issue several more times. I determined this intermittent bonus issue only occurs when you add 2nd, 3rd or 4th players, the one player games work fine.

So basically, the problem appears if the motor is still running at the exact moment the ball rolls over that switch at the shooter lane, this switch resets the bonus stepper. This is why it was intermittent and only occurring for 1st ball for first player only. Crazy how it ended up being something so simple. We now wait until the ball is in the shooter lane to add players.

#6 5 years ago

Hi Pincraze
thanks for writing about what the problem was - greetings Rolf

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Pincraze:

I finally decided to throw a phone and light inside the coin door to record the bonus stepper while everyone was playing.

Ingenious! Well done!

#8 5 years ago

Great trouble shooting idea, A set of eyes under the playfield during play!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-target-alpha-intermittent-bonus-scoring-after-first-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.