You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wiperfingerparts (resized).jpeg
20210831_211631 (resized).jpg
20210831_211540 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm getting a Gottlieb Target Alpha back up and running (after being in storage for about 20 years). Problem: The bonus is not scoring correctly. Should get 1000 point bonus (double on last ball) for each drop target that's down. It cycles the bonus unit correctly, but "misses" most of the bonus. Chimes do ring for whatever bonus is actually given, so the L relay is apparently being triggered, just not as often as it should be.
For example, I just ran a test where I dropped all 15 targets on each ball. Actual bonus scored on each ball was 5000, 3000, 2000, 5000, and 17000 (double bonus). Actual bonus given is not correlated to any particular target(s).
I have cleaned (with a flexstone) all the points in the G relay (Bonus Score Control) and motor 4A, as well as all of the drop target "down" switches. I also cleaned (with crocus cloth) and lubricated the rivet heads on the Bonus Unit. No help. This is every switch in the path that activates the L (1000 point) relay.
Where do I go from here? I presume, since the problem is "random" (not related to specific drop targets) that it should be the motor 4A switch that's flaky. I do see blue sparks there (randomly) while the bonus is scoring (or should I say, NOT scoring!).
Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, I am NOT good at soldering, and it looks like trying to solder anything at motor 4A would be a nightmare!

#2 2 years ago

The bonus unit fires really fast when set up correctly and sounds almost like a machine gun. A slight misalignment of the bonus stepper on the rivets may cause you to get some erratic scoring simply because of how quickly the connections need to be synced together. Check the alignment of the stepper by manually incrementing the bonus unit and that the fingers are nice and centered on the rivets for each step.

#3 2 years ago

There has been a lot of posts regarding Target Alpha/Solar City/Canada Dry bonus issues.. Here is a good read . https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-scan-bonus-unit-of-canada-dry-target-alpha-solar-city-

#4 2 years ago

I'm actually experiencing a similar issue on a Solar City re random bonus counts and found that I have a torn cylinder that holds the post in place for the bonus counter mech. Merf you may want to check yours. Not trying to hijack the thread but do any of you em gurus know if I can remove/replace the just the brass components in the bakelite disk or if I need a replacement. I need to buy a parts guide from pbr but if anyone knows if the top plate is even available anymore a part number would be greatly appreciated.

20210831_211540 (resized).jpg20210831_211540 (resized).jpg20210831_211631 (resized).jpg20210831_211631 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

The first position (reset) touch the rivet in yellow wire, the last position does not touch any rivet. Maybe this can help you. I had the same problem and I fixed like that...

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I'm actually experiencing a similar issue on a Solar City re random bonus counts and found that I have a torn cylinder that holds the post in place for the bonus counter mech. Merf you may want to check yours. Not trying to hijack the thread but do any of you em gurus know if I can remove/replace the just the brass components in the bakelite disk or if I need a replacement. I need to buy a parts guide from pbr but if anyone knows if the top plate is even available anymore a part number would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'd call Steve at PBR, you might be able to just replace the bushing (if the hole in the bakelite isn't worn).

Wiperfingerparts (resized).jpegWiperfingerparts (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from steviechs:

The bonus unit fires really fast when set up correctly and sounds almost like a machine gun. A slight misalignment of the bonus stepper on the rivets may cause you to get some erratic scoring simply because of how quickly the connections need to be synced together. Check the alignment of the stepper by manually incrementing the bonus unit and that the fingers are nice and centered on the rivets for each step.

Thanks, Steviechs! Adjusting the bonus unit has fixed the problem!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Displays
Dave’s Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.