You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
image_zps3f92a77b.jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I'm still a kinda a newbie as only been dealing with pinball for couple of years now. But ever since i got this gottlieb system 80b game its makeing me hate gottleb I have dealt with a few regular system 80 and have never had the issues ive had with this one.

#2 9 years ago

Noooooo, it just has some design flaws, nothing that can't be fixed. When Gottlieb made these babies, I doubt they thought they'd still be running now lol. Fixing the grounding does wonders on the 80B's.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

I'm still a kinda a newbie as only been dealing with pinball for couple of years now. But ever since i got this gottlieb system 80b game its makeing me hate gottleb I have dealt with a few regular system 80 and have never had the issues ive had with this one. I think 80b is the worst one they made...

Strongly disagree....

Like the previous poster mentioned, it's all dealing w/ grounding issues. I'm assuming we're talking about Genesis? I find that particular pin is the most temperamental out of that era. At least, in my own experience.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Scotty78:

it just has some design flaws, nothing that can't be fixed.

+1

Those machines CAN be very reliable

#5 9 years ago

They are definitely a tinkerer's machine. Someone gave me a Raven because they couldn't get it running. I did the cab mods and upgraded the daughter board and it works like a champ with the exception of no game music. I have about 6 hours of total work on it and about $50 in parts. Not bad for a 28 year old machine.

#6 9 years ago

I have a Hollywood heat that makes me pull my hair out. Ground Mods done, PS rebuilt, SB re-flowed and new sound pot and still no sound.

#7 9 years ago

I can't complain

My HH has been a tank. I'm building the Goonies machine from an HH as well. I'm expecting to have a very solid pin when that's done.

#8 9 years ago

I've got a very reliable hollywood heat. Ground mods all completed and daughter card replaced on MPU board. No issues since.

#9 9 years ago

Ok guys does this power board good or bad ? I'm getting 5.4v out of it but at my mpu its only 4.3v Its works sometimes fine but most of the time blinks see video

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/jfc2697/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim87FDC6A5-E82A-4C17-A2F5-525E1EC9937C_zps4e4778df.mp4.html

image_zps3f92a77b.jpgimage_zps3f92a77b.jpg
#10 9 years ago

Huhh...

Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

I'm getting 5.4v out of it but at my mpu its only 4.3v

SECOND...you have to fix a connector J1 on MPU...voltage difference (from 5,4V to 4,3V) and(or)
J1 on the MPU ( poor, weak contact, oxidation...broken pin IN connector...etc, etc )

But.....FIRST - "MUST" replace (hidden...on your picture ) trim pot for propper (and stabile) adjustment
"+5V " ( it's ok from 5,0V to 5,2 V... higher voltage is NOT recommended ! )

When you install NEW & quality trim pot - DISCONNECT upper connector from +5V regulator board, and
measure (with DMM) and adjust +5,15V

Of course...in the meantime - connector J1 is fixed ?

Greetings from Croatia

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Huhh...

SECOND...you have to fix a connector J1 on MPU...voltage difference (from 5,4V to 4,3V) and(or)
J1 on the MPU ( poor, weak contact, oxidation...broken pin IN connector...etc, etc )
But.....FIRST - "MUST" replace (hidden...on your picture ) trim pot for propper (and stabile) adjustment
"+5V " ( it's ok from 5,0V to 5,2 V... higher voltage is NOT recommended ! )
When you install NEW & quality trim pot - DISCONNECT upper connector from +5V regulator board, and
measure (with DMM) and adjust +5,15V
Of course...in the meantime - connector J1 is fixed ?
Greetings from Croatia

Not yet trying to figure out it whats wrong its driving me nuts...

#12 9 years ago

Do you guys think the power board i put pic of is bad the traces look messed up ? Also were can i get the stuff to fix connector

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Do you guys think the power board i put pic of is bad the traces look messed up ? Also were can i get the stuff to fix connector

FIrst thing I always do on those power supplies is reflow the top and lower header pins. Next is to check that pot. Sometimes there still good, sometimes not the case.

Ed at Great Plains Electronics has all your Gottlieb needs when it comes to electronics and hardware.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

FIrst thing I always do on those power supplies is reflow the top and lower header pins. Next is to check that pot. Sometimes there still good, sometimes not the case.
Ed at Great Plains Electronics has all your Gottlieb needs when it comes to electronics and hardware.

ok thx i need find someone who can do soldering good.

#15 9 years ago

PM sent. It is nice to see someone honest!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

PM sent. It is nice to see someone honest!

pm replied

#17 9 years ago

CNKay helped me out on my 80B nightmare, best of luck.

#18 9 years ago

Looking at the video, MPU keeps resetting. Reset board (far lower right)looks to be not connected. Which is fine just want to make sure. If it is connected try disconnecting it from MPU.

Yes, you have a voltage issue, like pinman said.

Remove power cable and check inside for bad connector pins. Ohm wires, should be extremely low .3-1.0 ohm. You have to measure a steady 5.0 on MPU / piggy and driver.

The main cpu cap is easy spot to check voltage for MPU. Piggy back board needs 5V check C1 and pin 7(gnd) and 14(+5) of the 7404 on piggyback board. Driver board any of the 74175s pin 8(gnd) pin 16(+5).

Has this machine ever worked correctly since you have owned it?

#19 9 years ago

To add to this, usually, there's a small pull up resistor attached to the TC1 connector (didn't see it in the video). Perhaps it's needed for the game to boot up? Try putting the TC1 connector (with resistor) back in place and disconnecting at the reset board instead, then see if the CPU board is happier. I remember reading on John Robertson's site that the resistor is needed on some of the 80B games for the CPU board to work.

Steve

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Looking at the video, MPU keeps resetting. Reset board (far lower right)looks to be not connected. Which is fine just want to make sure. If it is connected try disconnecting it from MPU.
Yes, you have a voltage issue, like pinman said.
Remove power cable and check inside for bad connector pins. Ohm wires, should be extremely low .3-1.0 ohm. You have to measure a steady 5.0 on MPU / piggy and driver.
The main cpu cap is easy spot to check voltage for MPU. Piggy back board needs 5V check C1 and pin 7(gnd) and 14(+5) of the 7404 on piggyback board. Driver board any of the 74175s pin 8(gnd) pin 16(+5).
Has this machine ever worked correctly since you have owned it?

I got the pin from a pinsider at pinfest and when I got it home it did the beeping/flashing. So I was told to do ground mods on on side of transformer by cutting old connectors off and then attaching the ground wires to side of the case. Once I did that it worked for 2 days then starting beeping again.

#21 9 years ago

I've owned and repaired dozens of series 1, 80 and 80A pins and they are
more reliable than Bally, and far more reliable than Wms pins of the same
era. The grounding problems people mention are due to the crummy Molex
connectors becoming corroded. The most bang for your buck will be to
SOLDER a ground wire between the CPU, driver and power supply boards.
Doing the same for the +5 and 12v supplies is a good idea too. The best
solution is to replace all board Molex connectors with those that have gold plated pins.
Hard to find now, but THAT is the best fix.

My Spiderman & Black Hole have been running flawlessly for 20+ years since I've done these
things to it. And yes, they are played regularly.
Steve

#22 9 years ago

It's OK to examine additional reset board on TC1.... BUT (from my point of view MORE important
is to take care of +5v supply.....contacts on J1, and proper adjustment (with "those" trim-pot )

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

The best
solution is to replace all board Molex connectors with those that have gold plated pins.
Hard to find now, but THAT is the best fix.
Steve

Be sure you don't mix gold and tin contacts as that is more unreliable than tin-tin.

http://www.connector.com/2011/12/gold-or-tin-versus-gold-and-tin/

#24 9 years ago

Thx to CNKay going over it with me it looks to be the power board as acting all crazy with voltages.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

place and disconnecting at the reset board instead,

Keen eye my friend. you are correct better to disconnect from reset board and leave the TC1 40 pinsocket attached.

yeah 4.7K from pin 7-11 or something like that.

How you ever spotted that from THAT video is beyond my visual comprehension.

#26 9 years ago

LOL. I figured everyone saw it too but didn't want to say anything to 2Kaulitz. The possibility of a power supply issue is a good one to pursue. That's what I told 2Kaulitz by PM on Sunday when he contacted me asking for help. I figured the pot was probably okay since he was getting two different readings for the 5VDC line. In our short volley of PM's, I told him to inspect for solder cracks around the header pins instead since that would give you the two different readings. 5.4VDC at the board but 4.3VDC at the CPU board would indicate this is the issue. I've had boards boot to attract with 4.3VDC before so that's when I went looking for another possibility for the winking on and off and saw there was no pull up resistor. He needs to get the header pins inspected and repaired, then get that resistor back on the board to see if it helps correct the problem. He's got you helping now so I'm out.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

Keen eye my friend. you are correct better to disconnect from reset board and leave the TC1 40 pinsocket attached.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

LOL. I figured everyone saw it too but didn't want to say anything to 2Kaulitz. The possibility of a power supply issue is a good one to pursue. That's what I told 2Kaulitz by PM on Sunday when he contacted me asking for help. I figured the pot was probably okay since he was getting two different readings for the 5VDC line. In our short volley of PM's, I told him to inspect for solder cracks around the header pins instead since that would give you the two different readings. 5.4VDC at the board but 4.3VDC at the CPU board would indicate this is the issue. I've had boards boot to attract with 4.3VDC before so that's when I went looking for another possibility for the winking on and off and saw there was no pull up resistor. He needs to get the header pins inspected and repaired, then get that resistor back on the board to see if it helps correct the problem. He's got you helping now so I'm out.
Steve

You can't go Steve lol

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yep -- many of the originals had a 3K between pins 7 and 11 to pull the read/write signal up. I incorporated this into the Gottlieb test fixture and ended up getting several emails -- "works fine with test fixture installed but it quits when I disconnect test fixture". Majority of time - installing that resistor on back of the board fixed the issue.

Ed

#29 9 years ago

Yes i check my big house manual it is a 3K 1/4W resistor from pin7 to pin11.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yes i check my Big House manual it is a 3K 1/4W resistor from pin7 to pin11.

Gonna buy a resistor tmrw and try it. So ill post if works or not tmrw

#31 9 years ago

Tried resistor but no go and here are ground mods i done so far

IMG_0206.JPGIMG_0206.JPG
#32 9 years ago

Try reseting that daughter board again..., and it is possible it could have a couple of cold solder cracks on the back side of the socket for the DB... from stress from reseting it a bunch of times previously..

although i doubt that is the case though as my bud had reflowed that board before i got it...

I have NEVER had a power supply problem in all of the sys80b games i have owned although that doesnt mean it doesnt happen...

I have another PS here if that one turns out to be bad i can send you.... but trying to repair it would be the best option as you will know its fresh...

#33 9 years ago

and make sure those grounds on that transformer panel are clean and tight...

#34 9 years ago

The voltage problem is solved ? Did I miss something?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

not sure on that, yet...

Im sure we will find out soon

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Try reseting that daughter board again..., and it is possible it could have a couple of cold solder cracks on the back side of the socket for the DB... from stress from reseting it a bunch of times previously..
although i doubt that is the case though as my bud had reflowed that board before i got it...
I have NEVER had a power supply problem in all of the sys80b games i have owned although that doesnt mean it doesnt happen...
I have another PS here if that one turns out to be bad i can send you.... but trying to repair it would be the best option as you will know its fresh...

I shipped the power supply today to cnkay he is going to check it and repair it. The reason we think it is bad isbecause i had set to 5.4v and once i hook cables up to it goes down to like 4.3v or sometimes 3v+ The ground mods are tight as i rechecked them a few times. Also i checked the grounds with a meter ect. So well see what cnkay says he well have it friday.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

not yet but cnkay is going to check out for me or gerry has another one i can try. Its weird because of how much the voltage drops once it got a load. Most i could get to board is 4.9v

#38 9 years ago

Also picked up the reset cable and got a new piggy board from Fretto1 More updates soon and thx again for everyones help

#39 9 years ago

Update
So cnkay got my board and found that is was messed up with bad/loose trim pot and trace that need fixing. Now its all fixed and well be shipped back on monday So big thx to cnkay and i'm so happy to have gotten into pinball as everyones so much nicer/helpfull than when dealing with arcades

#40 9 years ago

2 thumbs up John... !

Thanks CNkay, for helping john as well....

glad to hear thats all it was..

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

2 thumbs up John... !
Thanks CNkay, for helping john as well....
glad to hear thats all it was..

indeed me too

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Perhaps you have wondered why I insisted on replacing trim pot?
After several similar cases (about 20 years before ) such as this was, this procedure is for me
became 'what MUST to be done' !

At my pinballs, I removed them - ALL (I WAS operator/tech over 25 years )

Now...it's (nice) hobby )
(I'm sure - you understand me )

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Perhaps you have wondered why I insisted on replacing trim pot?
After several similar cases (about 20 years before ) such as this was, this procedure is for me
became 'what MUST to be done' !
At my pinballs, I removed them - ALL (I WAS operator/tech over 25 years )
Now...it's (nice) hobby )
(I'm sure - you understand me )

Indeed

#44 9 years ago

Got the new piggy board and reset cable today now just waiting on power board

IMG_0213.JPGIMG_0213.JPG
#45 9 years ago

according to the usps you should have gotten wednesday. so drumroll...........

or crickets

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

according to the usps you should have gotten wednesday. so drumroll...........
or crickets

It gave me some issues at 1st but now up and running so far. Getting solid 5.1 volts to board now So we well see and it came today

#47 9 years ago

Now that is funny. i sent something to CA late thurday and they get it by Saturday. if i send something to my brother in GA it takes almost a week. Go figure.

Well at least it sounds like you are up and running.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Now that is funny. i sent something to CA late thurday and they get it by Saturday. if i send something to my brother in GA it takes almost a week. Go figure.
Well at least it sounds like you are up and running.

So far its good been running since yesterday and i turned in on/off a few times to test 5.1 volts steady

#49 9 years ago

Still some weird issues but up and running night 2 plus my highest score lol

IMG_0221.JPGIMG_0221.JPG
#50 9 years ago

Weird issues?? kind of vague. But i hear that is Gerry's specialty. I would think weirdness fits that title perfectly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system80b-is-making-me-hate-gottlieb-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.