Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by maddog14
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I just recently inherited my first pinball machine, 1979 Gottlieb Pinball pool system one machine. I have since then been trying to learn everything I can about this machine and came across this forum. There have been a few minor issues that have came up since I began playing it. The biggest one being that when the machine is turned on and left on for more than a half hour or so something happens and locks up the game and all of the score displays turn off. At this point none of the controls work and putting in another quarter and pushing the play button does nothing. I have found turning off the machine and unplugging the power supply board to CPU board cable and re-attaching it seems to be the only way to get the machine to work again. Simply turning it on and off does nothing and by process of elimination I determined it by unplugging that A1J1 power cable from the power supply and then back on stops the problem temporarily until another half hour or so when things have warmed up it will do it again.

I thought it was possibly the cable so I have replaced the A1J1 mpu power cable and also the A1J5 to A3J1 cable with new ones by docent electronics. Unfortunately this has not fixed the problem.

Can anybody recommend any possible causes of this lockup problem? Its almost as if once the machine warms up it locks up. I have contemplated replacing the power supply board with a rottendog replacement and possibly even the driver board as well just to try and rule them out.

2nd issue is that one of the (2) pop up bumpers does not work. I checked it out and could not see any signs of a switch failure or burn marks on the coil. Any ideas what to check on a system one pop bumper?

Thanks for any help/suggestions offered!

Tom

#2 10 years ago

Most likely answer for problem 1: Do requisite grounding mods

most likely answer to problem 2, you need to replace a transistor on the driver board.

for how tos on this go to :
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm

#3 10 years ago

Power supply is probably on its way out. Replace it, or fix it if you're capable. The pinrepair.com info will help you with that.

Check the switch gap on the pop bumper in question. Might be too wide, or it might be broken. I had a similar issue on the genie i had. One of the switch leafs was broken off! Check the solder connections also...

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I read the pinrepair guide, its quite extensive and quite a bit to take in. I'm totally new to pinball machines and soldering electronics so this is a big learning curve for me. I have all intentions of getting this thing running good and never realized how fun it would be to own one. The ground mods don't look too hard to accomplish aside from the whole soldering part. As far as replacing a transistor, i'm assuming they are also soldered in? I might go ahead and drop the money for a new rottendog power supply board and driver board for $135 shipped.

I will see if I can find any obvious problems with the pop bumper. Are the pop bumper switches and coils fairly simple to replace? From what I understand the system one games pop bumpers were not controlled by any circuit boards. So something mechanical must be wrong with it.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Dragunov:

From what I understand the system one games pop bumpers were not controlled by any circuit boards. So something mechanical must be wrong with it.

Correct.

More inconvenient than hard to replace, if need be.

I would definitely get the power supply, but if everything else is working (insert lamps, sound, outhole, knocker, etc). Than you can probably skip getting the driver board for now.

Do look into re-pinning the connectors, though. Thats a biggie. All the info you need to do it, along with what tools you need, are in that same document.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

Do look into re-pinning the connectors, though. Thats a biggie. All the info you need to do it, along with what tools you need, are in that same document.

Yes. If those are original pins, they are brittle and will break or are broken.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-one-pinball-pool-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.