New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 247626)

Gottlieb system 80 knocker coil upgrade

By DirkAkron

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DirkAkron
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5084.jpg
    Gottlieb_knocker (resized).jpg
    Bally_knocker (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone. I’m hoping to make my Black Hole and Haunted House Pinball’s have a much louder knocker. The original coil is an A-5195 (11.6 ohms) and I’m thinking about changing them to an A-4893 (2.1 ohms). Any ideas if this would make much difference, or harm the MPU or driver boards due to the extra power draw?
    I don’t want to make any crazy mods by adding springs or moving the knocker to the backbox etc, just update the coil if it will work.
    Thanks,
    Dirk

#2 1 year ago

You could use a bracket like the Bally games use.
    The Bally games knock to the side of the cabinet.
    Gottlieb games use a up-down kind of knocker which have much lower sound.

Gottlieb_knocker (resized).jpgBally_knocker (resized).jpg
    #3 1 year ago

Don't forget to add a fuse, as it is unfused exept for the main solenoids fuse.

#4 1 year ago

Agreed: the basic problem is not so much the strength of the coil, but the lack of a direct "fire it into the wood" design!

#5 1 year ago

Be aware that although gottlieb brackets are very strong, I've seen a couple that were broken off. Too strong of a coil might lead to that over time.

#6 1 year ago

I’ll order one and try it out. I’ll let you know how it works out.

#7 1 year ago

I like to use a Gottlieb A-1496 coil for the knocker.

#8 1 year ago

...just swapped it out and good to go? ... do you notice much difference in the knocker sound or volume?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from DirkAkron:

...just swapped it out and good to go? ... do you notice much difference in the knocker sound or volume?

Yes just traded coils and installed a knocker sleeve in the coil. Sound was much louder.

#10 1 year ago

Thanks ! Much appreciated.

#11 1 year ago

Is the low sound issue on Gottliebs just an EM thing? Just curious cause my knockers on my Star Race and Circus are loud as hell. I've seen more than one person be startled when they go off.
    I mean I see his are 80's pins as well but as loud as all the ones I've been around it's hard to believe.

#12 1 year ago

SS games. My Haunted House, Black Hole and Volcano all sound the same...just a light tap, not a loud knock.

#13 1 year ago

I’ve been thinking about this and realized that this stronger coil is used in the pop bumpers and those brackets aren’t any stronger than the knocker bracket...so in this case, it seems like it should be ok.

#14 1 year ago

Hi

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be aware that although gottlieb brackets are very strong, I've seen a couple that were broken off. Too strong of a coil might lead to that over time.

I’ve been thinking about this and realized that this stronger coil is used in the pop bumpers and those brackets aren’t any stronger than the knocker bracket...so in this case, it seems like it should be ok.

#15 1 year ago

Ok, If anyone finds this post, looking for a way to make their Gottlieb System 80 knocker louder... I have confirmed by replacing the original knocker coil to the Gottlieb A-4893 coil (the same as some of the Gottlieb pop-bumper coils) I was easy and gives that super knock sound. I can even feel the knock in my right hand as well as finally hear the knock over the sounds of the pinball. (see photo).

IMG_5084.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 289.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside