Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by akm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Gottlieb System 80B game (Hollywood Heat in particular) that is giving me a variety of troubles. The main one I would like to address and get some advice on is that occasional games will end out of nowhere. Basically, in the middle of gameplay, power to the flippers drop, the alpha-numeric display goes back to its attract mode, and that's it. I can hit start to begin a new game as if nothing happened. Lights didn't flicker, no crazy sounds were made (not that I could tell, that's my second issue--the sound, but that's a topic for another day), etc.

Any idea what could be causing this? It's definitely not slam tilting, which would display certain characters indicating such happened.

I can't tell if it happens when both flippers are pressed at the same time (usually it's during multi-ball when things get crazy and I'm flipping fast). It never happened before up until the last several weeks, and it might happen once out of a good five or ten games. It feels like it's becoming more frequent though.

#2 9 years ago

had this happen on my Genesis before. I would collect 4-5 body parts( didn't matter which) and boom game over music. I believe this was fixed with a combination of removing reset board from the CPU and fixing or adjusting one of the smaller connectors on the driverboard. I have since sold it so I can't tell you which connector it was.

long story short I was told it was a power issue.

#3 9 years ago

If you see the displays fill with asterisks, it's a slam switch issue. If not, it very well could be power.

#4 9 years ago

Check your 5VDC power.
DMM set to DC volts.
Black on the backbox foil.
Red on any of the lower pins of the power supply.
Got 5V?

Next you can test for fractured solder joints on the MPU daughter card.
Start a game and lightly flex the daughter card.
Does the game reset?

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Red on any of the lower pins of the power supply.

Make that "any of the upper pins" or pins at the side with the little potmeter for adjustment if its upside down.

Although being said.....a low +5V ( bad potmeter), slamswitch (disable at your MPU), cracked solder joints at the piggyback with PROM1, resetboard (dried out capacitors - pull out connector from board but leave the TC1 socket with 3k pull up resistor at the CPU) can cause this problem. Cleaning the edge connector which delivers the +5V to the CPU might also be a good idea. Sometimes the ground connectors at the transformer chassis cause problems at these earlier system 80B games.

#6 9 years ago

My Raven was resetting & disconnecting the reset board fixed it.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

resetting & disconnecting the reset board fixed it.

Try this...it's easy to try

7 months later
#8 8 years ago

All right, I never got around to trying these troubleshooting methods, but for a few months there the game wasn't having many problems. Over the last couple of weeks or so though it began resetting like crazy again. Yesterday in particular I couldn't play for more than 20 or 30 seconds before having the game reset. Perhaps over this weekend I'll try a few of the things suggested.

A couple of other issues on-hand I wanted to get some advice on as well:

1) Game slam tilts whenever I open the coin door. I thought it was the slam tilt switch itself on the door so I disconnected and wrapped the wires together, but it's still happening. Any ideas what is causing this? (This is unrelated to the reset issue)

2) Sound constantly cuts in and out. This has been a long-running issue as well and I replaced the volume pot by the coin door within the last year as a first step in troubleshooting the issue (apparently that wasn't the problem).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80b-trouble-games-ending-on-their-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.