• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pincity
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey Everyone,
Picked up a Gottlieb Monte Carlo the other week that has been neglected for a while and thought I had it booting consistently but seems like there are still some gremlins. After getting it to boot fine (bought the new improved power supply board) walked away from it for a day and then it booted with erratic behavior (running through the coils etc). Turn it off, turn it back on, doesn't boot at all. 5 volts was going into the board, but I wasn't getting the clocking signal. Then after poking around, it started working again. Booted perfectly, 8 or 9 times without issue. I don't have sound for some reason, but that's another thread. Here's some of the things checked:
-New updated power supply board
-Grounding mods in the bottom of the cabinet (haven't done any of the ones in the backbox yet)
-Tried messing with the daughter board on the cpu, it does not affect anything (putting pressure on it to see if the connection there is an issue)
-There is zero acid damage on the board, tested the reset section and all was well (even when it wasn't booting, reset was fine)
-When testing the cpu while the board was NOT booting, it was not present on all of the pins required
-While looking through the game, one coil was melted (only one all others look good and do function when the game was running) it was the left sling shot, and one playfield fuse was blown (F11)

My main question is, can this behavior be caused by the grounding mods not being done? I am going to do them probably over the next couple ofdays, but if there is something I also need to order I would like to do so sooner than later. Thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

So many crazy issue are caused by Gottlieb grounding that you can't rule it out, I would complete them. From your description of it's behavior being off and on I have to think you've got connector issues. I would complete grounds and then re-pin all the connectors and reflow header pins. I would not re-pin headers for now as for me anyway they are a pain but if your gremlins persist I'd do them as well.

You say it's been setting in pieces for ten years, was the battery left on the boards? If so you would do well to inspect it closely as acid damage usually spells the end, even if cleaned up and fixed it really only prolongs the death cycle.
Hopefully re-pinning, re-flowing, and the ground mods will eliminate all or at least most of your problems. After setting that long I'd check that all coils are loose and functionable, hell any thing that moves after that length of time.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

...You say it's been setting in pieces for ten years, was the battery left on the boards? If so you would do well to inspect it closely as acid damage usually spells the end, even if cleaned up and fixed it really only prolongs the death cycle....

Thanks for all that. As far as the game's condition, it hasn't been sitting in pieces, it was just neglected. It was turned on periodically so there is ZERO acid damage on the board.

Question on reflowing edge connectors, do I just add some solder to those connectors on the board?

Thanks!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from dieseldogpi:

Question on reflowing edge connectors, do I just add some solder to those connectors on the board?

Not reflowing edge connectors, you want to reflow the header pins and yes I always use a little flux as it seems to help liquify the old solder. I add a touch of new solder when reflowing, it helps with getting good joints, lessons the occurrence of cold joints etc..

You can re-tin the card edge pads on the board if they need it.

#5 3 years ago

So I finally did the ground mods and still having issues. I pushed on the daughter board again and it shut off. Pushed a bit and it turned back on. Seems like it’s the daughter board that is the issue. I do think the ground mods did help, but now I need to fix this. I know there is a way to fix this, but I’ve heard it sucks. There used to be a replacement piggy deux board which replaces it but it seems like they are no longer available. Are these long gone? Any sources?

#6 3 years ago

As you've probably read, reflowing solder on that daughterboard requires that the daughterboard be desoldered and is a very delicate operation requiring proper tools and technique. If in doubt, you could always send the board out for repair.

As for the Piggy Deux, here's the original thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternative-gottlieb-sys80b-piggyback-fix-plug-and-play-interest-check, you might try reaching out to acebathound to see when these might be back in stock - looks like there may be a waiting list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80b-erratic-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.