2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211104_192206 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Is this a good substitute for the capacitor in the bottom cabinet of a system 80b

20211104_192206 (resized).jpg20211104_192206 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, the correct replacement for the cap on the transformer board should be 6800uf to 12,000uf and at least 25V.

#3 2 years ago

Manual says 10000 uf 25v, someone told me to just use a 15000 25v.

#4 2 years ago

Unless you know WHY that substitute was suggested or you have faith the person knows what they are talking about (which you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be here) stick to what's suggested by the manufacturer.

If this is the one you're talking about I trust the advice at Pinwiki: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_the_Orange_Filtering_Capacitor

#5 2 years ago

I had asked a couple of years ago, a very reputable guy on this forum suggested the 15000uf capacitor. I guess I wanted to know if that would be the one to get if I wanted to buy a 15000uf capacitor. I think he suggested this one cause most people that rebuild williams high voltage section would have this on hand.

I know for a system 80 they call for 6800 to 12000, but the 80b manual lists it at 10000uf. I am not sure what would happen to have a capacitor that is 5000uf over what is supposed to be there.

#6 2 years ago

The 15,000 uF capacitor you have selected would probably work fine. But if you are going to have to buy a replacement, why not buy what the manufacturer specifies?

This capacitor is not in the high voltage section. It is low voltage. You should be fine with 6,800-12,000 uF, as long as the voltage rating is 25v or higher.

To answer your question, in this particular circuit, nothing detrimental should happen if you use a 15,000 capacitor, but my recommendation would be to use 6,800-12,000. Besides, the lower capacitance would cost less.

#7 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'll get what they recommend.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

The 15,000 uF capacitor you have selected would probably work fine. But if you are going to have to buy a replacement, why not buy what the manufacturer specifies?
    This capacitor is not in the high voltage section. It is low voltage. You should be fine with 6,800-12,000 uF, as long as the voltage rating is 25v or higher.
    To answer your question, in this particular circuit, nothing detrimental should happen if you use a 15,000 capacitor, but my recommendation would be to use 6,800-12,000. Besides, the lower capacitance would cost less.

I have used 12,000 mfd caps in System 80 games before without issue as replacement for 6800 mfd.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80b-cabinet-capacitor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.