• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0445[1] (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hello,
I have a 1984 Touchdown that I purchased last year. It has never been able to keep the High Score. It does while it is on, but resets to zero when powered off. The owner before me relocated the batteries, which I have replace with new ones. The pic shows where and how the new battery supply is wired. Please let me know if there is a fix. It's a decent pin in a collection of sports pins but nobody wants to play it when there isn't a High Score to shoot for!
Thanks again in advance to all advice given.

IMG_0445[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0445[1] (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Use your multi-meter to check the voltage at the board. If the remote battery holder connection is broken no power is getting to the board when it's off.

Does the game save your settings? If it's only losing the high scores that's a different problem.

#3 7 years ago

Check the standby voltage going to the 5101 when the machine is turned off.
Machine powered down - measure voltage directly across capacitor C11.

I'd like to know what's up with that power supply? Seems somebody copied my 80 power supply. And to save a buck, they deleted most of the features. Anyways - those two ground wires you have on the corner of that power supply's mounting screws. They should be tied to the "GND" screw just up and to the left of where you have them currently terminated.

#4 7 years ago

Random thought: If the game is set to Novelty (EB scores points, etc.), it won't record high scores.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

I'd like to know what's up with that power supply? Seems somebody copied my 80 power supply. And to save a buck, they deleted most of the features.

Seems like you need to put out more of your stuff Ed. Everybody knows it's designed well, but it seems to sell out in 30 seconds, which then leaves a vacuum for ages

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Random thought: If the game is set to Novelty (EB scores points, etc.), it won't record high scores.

Interesting idea. The 80a games I had were set to novelty, but I didn't pay much attention to the high scores. I was pretty sure they were saved, but who knows.

If you switch the game to regular play, it would test that theory as long as there is voltage getting to the RAM.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting idea. The 80a games I had were set to novelty, but I didn't pay much attention to the high scores. I was pretty sure they were saved, but who knows.

I don't have any 80A experience*, but Panthera (80) definitely does (not do) this when set to Novelty.

*My Amazon Hunt is a hybrid 80A/80B with a custom Pascal board.

#8 7 years ago

Okay so I checked the "Novelty" dip switch during my lunch hour(crazy how these pins become more important than eating lunch) and it was set to Off, which is normal mode. I even switched it back and forth, played a game, turned machine off, back on and the recent score was gone. So that isn't the issue. I will try to check the standby voltage and the voltage at the board later as advised.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Does the game save your settings? If it's only losing the high scores that's a different problem

The only thing I notice is no high score being saved.

Quoted from G-P-E:

those two ground wires you have on the corner of that power supply's mounting screws. They should be tied to the "GND" screw just up and to the left of where you have them currently terminated.

I haven't touched this machine since purchase, other than adding LEDs so I will try to relocate those two wires to the ground screw. Although the one looks a little short. I would prefer not to try my amateur hand at soldering at the board, so would it be advised to cut the smaller wire and solder in an extender piece of wire? Or how about just placing a small jumper wire from the power supply mounting screws to the "GND" on the board?

Thanks again to all who have responded to this irritating little problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80a-wont-keep-high-score and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.