View topic image gallery

IMG_0953.JPG
image-212.jpg
image-270.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0830small.jpg
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Just acquired a Gottlieb System 80A Touchdown game.
I (we) are just getting started with it. So far I have replaced all the capacitors on the boards.
I have also replaced the three bridge rectifiers in the bottom of the game and re-pinned the main board connector.
So far when we turn it on we get all the GI lights working and two displays have a 5 on them, the small display in the center and the player 1 display.
All fuses checked and replaced. Have not messed with any ground cables yet.

But my biggest question is what I should put in the bottom of the game capacitor wise. Someone has twisted together two caps, each with a value of 35V and 3300 MFD.
I did order a kit which came with the following two screw top capacitors. One is a tall 30V 12000MFD and the second is a shorter 50V 4800MFD.
Is one of these supposed to go here??? (See Photo below).
I am working on getting a manual but do not have one yet.
Also any tips on getting this thing further along are appreciated.

IMG_0839.JPGIMG_0839.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Here is another photo that better shows where this monster is located.

IMG_0836.JPGIMG_0836.JPG
#5 10 years ago

I read all of Pinwiki before I ever got started, I seem to remember them saying to replace the old caps.
Two caps had leaked and I saw no reason to leave them in. The others were replaced because they were over 30 years old and I already had the board out.
Seemed like a no brainer, maybe I was wrong.
One of the three bridge rectifiers was cracked, so once again I was already in there, why not replace the other two?
We will get to work on the grounding soon and I just got a manual paid for this morning.
Thanks for the responses, if I am doing something wrong, I want to know, and I'm sure I will need more help later on down the line.

#7 10 years ago

I did not take it as rude. I was just answering the questions as they were asked.
I am not at home to look, but there was one on the sound board and one on the main power board. Also the Zener diode above it on the main board was toast, so I replaced it as well. I will let you know specifically which ones when I get back home.
I am really just wondering the most what to replace that twisted mess of capacitors in the bottom of the cabinet with. Hopefully the manual will tell me exactly what should be there.
I am not sure where the HV bridge is located.

#9 10 years ago

Just got home. The cap on the power board was C2 and the diode directly above it which was CR7.
The CR7 was toasted. I did not replace R10 with a higher ohm and you are correct, pulling the board off the heat sink was not much fun.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like my tall cap I got in my kit, the 30VDC 12000MFS is what I need to put in place of the hacked version I have currently.
I guess my machine does not use the other 50 volt cap, but I will check the schematics when I get them.

I would tell you which cap on the sound board was blow, but they are not labeled. I will post a photo if I can and circle the parts effected.

#10 10 years ago

I circled the two areas in red that were damaged.

IMG_0830small.jpgIMG_0830small.jpg
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

High voltage transistor (Q1 next to C2) needs a heat sink added back on.

I have already replaced that heat sink. The photo was taken as the game was given to me.
I did talk about replacing the heat sink, but that was in another thread for the Gottlieb system 80/system1 club.
Good catch though.

I do plan on replacing the battery at some point as well. So far no signs of any leakage.
Tomorrow I will do the grounding mod on the power board, cpu board and driver boards.
Luckily I have the good kind of attachments in the lower cabinet that do not require having to do the ground mods down there.

#14 10 years ago

Just finished the ground mods on the power board and the CPU board.
I have not done the driver board yet because none of the Ninja photos or videos have a close enough shot of just where he is putting that wire.
Any way I tested the J2 plug on the Power board and have 5.00 volts coming off of it.
Then I tested the J3 plug and have 63.9 volts and 46.3 volts on pins 1 and 3.

Kind of at a loss as to what to try next. On power up I still just get all the GI lights in the backbox and the playfield lit up.
Also I have two insert lights stuck on and a 5 on player 1 display and a 5 on the small display in the center.
No coin up or game start yet.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks. I'll do that shortly.

Ok. Got 8.47 volts on the 8volt test point.

#18 10 years ago

With the plugs unplugged except the display plugs I get the same problems. Here are some photos of my CPU. One overall photo and two close ups of the top half and the bottom half.

image-212.jpgimage-212.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image-270.jpgimage-270.jpg
#23 10 years ago

All removable IC's removed and sanded.
Unfortunately, no difference.

I already have the reset board unplugged as the Ninja suggested

#24 10 years ago

Yes q4 is fine. Just the flash

Also forgot to mention I had already added the two extra wires to the interconnect.

#26 10 years ago

I can get the battery off no problem.
The problem would be that I only have a multimeter, no scope.

1 week later
#28 10 years ago

Ordered a logic probe and they sent me a logic pulser. arrrrgh.

#29 10 years ago

Got the two IC chips on order Chris.
They should be in next week.
Thanks for helping out like you did.

2 weeks later
#30 9 years ago

Got my two IC chips installed today.
Bingo!!!!
The game plays for the first time.
All displays came to life, credits worked, game started, sound works as does all scoring.
Only three problems to fix.
Top left pop bumper does not work. Fuse is good and coil tests ok. Maybe the little board?
Also the game has two kickout holes next to the flippers and neither one works.
And the last biggest problem is that the controlled playfield lights do not work.
I have two standup target lights that cycle back and forth and sometimes between balls the playfield lights will flash for a brief second and then go back out.

Thanks to CNKay for the phone call to diagnose which chips needed replacing.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Arcade
could you let us know what chips were ordered and replaced?
Thanks

Sure.
They were Z5 static ram chip S5101-L
and Z10 open collector inverter SN74LS05N

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Sure.
They were Z5 static ram chip S5101-L
and Z10 open collector inverter SN74LS05N

According to CNKay the Z5 chip is often blown and is very susceptible to static electricity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80a-questions?tu=Arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.