• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Yeastlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello,

I am having problems with my system 80 power supply. I am not getting enough voltage (3.5) out of pins 1&2 on J2 as well as pin 7 on J3.

I also tested pins 1 and pin 3 on J3, and while the voltage is a little high (+3%), it seems to increase every minute or so by .1V. I do not know if this behavior is normal as I only have the input to the power supply connected.

The reason I am working on the power supply is because all displays do not work (rest of machine works - machine boots, sound works, pop bumpers, scoring,etc., only displays do not work)

The work described above is with the existing power supply that was with my machine when purchased.

=============

As a second step, I tried a new power supply. Everything tested well. With scores disconnected, machine powered up. I was able to start a game. I have a Pink panther, so the display (credit and ball count) on the play filed was working.

When I later connected displays (power off machine first), I blew the rectifier (I believe this is the part name) on the power supply board. It almost caught on fire!

I sent out the new board for repair, so I am experimenting with old board (i had it tested and replaced defective parts) as I want to use it as a back up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This is all new to me, so it is definitely a learning experience!

Thanks,

Mark

3 months later
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from mbudman:

Hello,
I am having problems with my system 80 power supply. I am not getting enough voltage (3.5) out of pins 1&2 on J2 as well as pin 7 on J3.
I also tested pins 1 and pin 3 on J3, and while the voltage is a little high (+3%), it seems to increase every minute or so by .1V. I do not know if this behavior is normal as I only have the input to the power supply connected.
The reason I am working on the power supply is because all displays do not work (rest of machine works - machine boots, sound works, pop bumpers, scoring,etc., only displays do not work)
The work described above is with the existing power supply that was with my machine when purchased.
=============
As a second step, I tried a new power supply. Everything tested well. With scores disconnected, machine powered up. I was able to start a game. I have a Pink panther, so the display (credit and ball count) on the play filed was working.
When I later connected displays (power off machine first), I blew the rectifier (I believe this is the part name) on the power supply board. It almost caught on fire!
I sent out the new board for repair, so I am experimenting with old board (i had it tested and replaced defective parts) as I want to use it as a back up.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
This is all new to me, so it is definitely a learning experience!
Thanks,
Mark

Did you get the power issue resolved?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside