Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0496_(resized).JPG
IMG_0495_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

this board is on a Ice fever. it's not connected to anything. Game works great and has all it's life. Just wondering what this little board is for?

I looked up in IPDB and seems it is plugged into that empty large socket on the MPU board on rocky, spirit, and other sys 80A's. Manual calls it a reset board.

Also, if I put a memory cap on this board, will it charge without modifications? or is there a blocking diode?

IMG_0495_(resized).JPGIMG_0495_(resized).JPG

IMG_0496_(resized).JPGIMG_0496_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Huh. Wasn't the reset board something that was used on System 80B games to act as a watchdog and reset the game if it sensed a lockup? Kinda interesting.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that given that Ice Fever is among the very last System 80A games made, Gottlieb started to use future components crosswise on their games--much like how some Dr. Dudes have both WPC and System 11C boards in them.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Just a guess.

#3 8 years ago

Yes, that's it. The reset board. Now if I can only find someone to clear coat my NOS Ice Fever playfield.

#4 8 years ago

No diode, the cap has to get charged somehow

#5 8 years ago

ice fever is right in the middle of the sys 80A's. Actually when I looked it up, seems a lot of rare gottliebs used this boardset.

thanks for the heads up on the cap issue. Just wanted to double check before installing a memory cap for him.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

ice fever is right in the middle of the sys 80A's

According to the notes on ipdb, Ice Fever was the last sys80A game. It is also of note that the board sticker says "Premier-692 SN5399". Game 692 is El Dorado City of Gold, so this isn't the original MPU (IceFever is 695).

It's interesting though because model 694 (Bounty Hunter) and 696 (Chicago Cubs Triple Play) were the first two models for sys80B.

I've read on PS that the reset board is often a cause of problems and people often just disconnect it, but if you want a connector for it to attach it to the MPU, I have one. I'll bring it to MGC. I'm running a Swemmer MPU and have no use for it (or the reset board).

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

According to the notes on ipdb, Ice Fever was the last sys80A game. It is also of note that the board sticker says "Premier-692 SN5399". Game 692 is El Dorado City of Gold, so this isn't the original MPU (IceFever is 695).
It's interesting though because model 694 (Bounty Hunter) and 696 (Chicago Cubs Triple Play) were the first two models for sys80B.
I've read on PS that the reset board is often a cause of problems and people often just disconnect it, but if you want a connector for it to attach it to the MPU, I have one. I'll bring it to MGC. I'm running a Swemmer MPU and have no use for it (or the reset board).

I just thought about it and I forgot to sort by date before I posted that. hence why it was in the middle when i was looking at it.

and thanks for the offer, he shouldn't need it if that's all it was for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80a-mystery-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.