• Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Will this work? I asked them a while back and they said I'll probably just need the 7" version. Aside from that being questionable (it costs more), will the wiring work out?

ebay.com link: Gottlieb Pinball Sys 80 MPU to Dvr 3 5 and 7 Cable harness Repair Kit DIY

I'm not sure if the interconnects are the same or not, I don't own a System 80 game to check.

Thanks!

Otaku

#2 7 years ago

Yes. The interconnect harness is the same across 80, 80a, and 80b.

If you have an original one, it's highly recommended to install the two additional jumpers (for ground and 5v). However, the bifrucated pins are incredibly difficult to find now, so some people resort to stealing them from a spare interconnect harness.

However, first try cleaning the edge connectors with a pink rubber eraser if you're having trouble with your game. That can resolve a lot of connector-based problems. So far, repinning the entire connector hasn't been necessary for the games I've worked on.

#3 7 years ago

yup. its just wires with pins crimped on and an extractor. The pinout between the mpu and driver was the same for all the 80 generations. (they mighta added an extra ground late in 80b)

#4 7 years ago

jinx! that kit comes with extra ground an +5

#5 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Anybody happen to know what size I need? If not, I'll just go check, the machine is just in a picky spot right now so I'd really like to only open it up once, which is when I have to fix it!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

However, the bifrucated pins are incredibly difficult to find now

Gottliebs are gonna be doomed eventually if we don't figure out what to do with these damn interconnects. I bought new casings for mine and I'm afraid I bought the last ones on the internet...

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Gottliebs are gonna be doomed eventually if we don't figure out what to do with these damn interconnects. I bought new casings for mine and I'm afraid I bought the last ones on the internet...

Substitute them with JAMMA connectors when necessary, maybe?

Quoted from Otaku:

Anybody happen to know what size I need?

Size of what exactly?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Substitute them with JAMMA connectors when necessary, maybe?

Do they have double sided? Never worked with arcades...

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do they have double sided? Never worked with arcades...

Yep. There's even one with the matching number of pins (28 pins on each row). The only downside is that you have to solder, rather than crimp.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Size of what exactly?

The length of the wire from that kit comes in 3 different sizes. I could just buy the longest one but I'm cheap. I want to make sure I need it. I'll go measure mine today if I can find my measuring tape.

#11 7 years ago

Can't say I've noticed them being more than 3" or so on the games I've looked at or worked on.

Here's a photo of a devil's dare backbox. I kind of think 3" would be enough, but maybe go 5" if you're not sure.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=673&picno=47426&zoom=1

#12 7 years ago

On Black Hole and Spirit at least, I think the MPU is mounted higher to fit the motor in for the disc?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

On Black Hole and Spirit at least, I think the MPU is mounted higher to fit the motor in for the disc?

Kind of looks like it:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=307&picno=33239&zoom=1

4 years later
#14 2 years ago

Does anyone have a wire layout for these interconnect wires?? I have one that looks like it’s been worked on and I’m wondering if they put it back together incorrectly. Just looking for a schematic on the interconnect.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Willillist:

Does anyone have a wire layout for these interconnect wires?? I have one that looks like it’s been worked on and I’m wondering if they put it back together incorrectly. Just looking for a schematic on the interconnect.

It's a direct pin to pin cable pin 1 on the mpu connector is pin 1 on the driver board connector

5 months later
#16 2 years ago

Would there be any interest if I was to make interconnect cables for sale. No one seems to have them and I have seen used selling for $200.00.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

Would there be any interest if I was to make interconnect cables for sale. No one seems to have them and I have seen used selling for $200.00.

I would be interested in one.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from JanS:

I have seen used selling for $200.00.

Seriously? That's crazy. I'm sure I've got a few kicking around in boxes somewhere...

There was a time when they were only going for $10 or less.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brandenburg, KY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80a-interconnect-question?hl=snowtrooper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.