New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 269837)

Gottlieb System 80 Weirdness

By Jive

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by HeyItsMeDusty
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

So my Counterforce has been pretty much rock solid for the past 4 years. Ground mods were done, some connectors replaced....basic sys 80 stuff. Well, tonight I go to turn it on, and it's mostly dead. All backbox lights are on, even the controlled ones, no lights on the playfield (although they do blink when first turned on), and weirdly, the credit display shows a little "c". This could be a glitch, or it could be trying to tell me something, not sure. Power supply voltages are good, and +5v is going to the MPU. Almost seems like the MPU is locked up or something, but I am at a loss. Anyone seen anything like this before?

#2 4 months ago

Sounds to me like the MPU is locked up and didn’t boot too.

#3 4 months ago

Check components on the p/s board? My sys 80 had a toasted diode that was throwing me fits.

#4 4 months ago

Check the reset signal on pin 40 at the 6502 CPU. If it is Low (0V) reset is active and the board won't start. If it is High (5V) check if the clock signals are present. They should be there at pins 37 and 39 at the 6502 CPU and pin 39 at the 6532 RIOT's. Use a logic probe or better oscilloscope to check. If these are all ok a testrom is a nice attribute to test your CPU board. Another possibilty is to send out your board for repair to someone with decent knowledge and experience like Chris Hibbler for example.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Check the reset signal on pin 40 at the 6502 CPU. If it is Low (0V) reset is active and the board won't start. If it is High (5V) check if the clock signals are present. They should be there at pins 37 and 39 at the 6502 CPU and pin 39 at the 6532 RIOT's. Use a logic probe or better oscilloscope to check. If these are all ok a testrom is a nice attribute to test your CPU board. Another possibilty is to send out your board for repair to someone with decent knowledge and experience like Chris Hibbler for example.

Good advice here.
Let's also measure for 5VDC across the electrolytic capacitor that is adjacent to the power connector, J1 on the MPU board.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 4 months ago

Thanks guys, I hope to get back into it this evening.

3 months later
#7 41 days ago

Bump, did you ever figure this out?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 289.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 37.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 19.00
$ 93.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 299.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
BK Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 12.95
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside