Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 6.15.31 pm (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Hi all,

I have a Black Hole which I am trying to get going.
I have J1 connected on the power supply, everything else is disconnected. I am getting 53V at the 42V test point and 72V at the 60V test point. The 5V and 8V are fine. Is this within the normal range when the power supply is unloaded?
I have tried another power supply and get the same results. The voltages are correct at the transfomer (a little high as well but the transformer is unloaded).

#2 7 years ago

are you trying to run 110v transformers with the inputs in series?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

are you trying to run 110v transformers with the inputs in series?

Yep

#4 7 years ago

there you go then .. thats why it doesnt work. you have the wrong transformers in it. the small one will run hot and you will get exactly what you see there.. now you know why the blackhole you saw here is here same problem.

post me the part numbers for interest but i would say you best go buy a step down and put them back to 110v

#5 7 years ago

OK....I'm confused. The manual says you can run them in series for 230V operation, I have the transformers which are shown in the manual.

#6 7 years ago

If there is no display load on the power supply, the voltage will be higher. If your BH is wired for 110V and this is what your outlet should be, I'd try putting some of the displays (if known good) back on line and see if the voltage pulls back closer to the correct load voltages.

Steve (posting from the hospital)
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#7 7 years ago

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting from the hospital. The game is wired for 240V operation, that's what the outlet is here.

So you don't think I'll damage anything with the 42 and 60V both about 10V higher than it should be? I mean, is it OK to connect the other stuff back up?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So you don't think I'll damage anything with the 42 and 60V both about 10V higher than it should be? I mean, is it OK to connect the other stuff back up?

Steve's right.
Unloaded, those voltages will be high.
Put a load on them and measure again.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31

#9 7 years ago

Thanks Chris and Steve,
With the MPU and displays connected I get 43V and 62V. Guess I was being overly cautious. I'm off to connect the rest of the game up and see if I can play a game.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

OK....I'm confused. The manual says you can run them in series for 230V operation, I have the transformers which are shown in the manual.

you cant have both ...the manual shows the 110V transformers as B-19548 and C-19552 and the 230V transformers as B-19550 and C-19554

which one do you have? The problem with the one here is someones mixed up a dual input larger one with a single input 110v 60hz smaller one and tried to run the lot on 230v 50hz ..

#11 7 years ago

I have B-19548 and C-19552. So you can't run these in series for 240V? I was getting pretty good voltages at the power supply when I had everything hooked up.

#12 7 years ago

Those are american 110V 60hz units..

The 230V units actually have dual 110V inputs ON EACH ONE.. now you understand why the manual has the pic it does..
The pic shows only one transformer - thats how you do the primary for each ... but those primaries are matched. Each transformer input overall is still 230v not 110V..

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 6.15.31 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-15 at 6.15.31 pm (resized).png

can you rig it by splitting them into series as well??.. probably. good luck with it. There is no way I am about to argue with the learned gentlemen above on anything but I suggest running a transformer designed for 60hz at 50hz will be less that optimal no matter how you wire it.

save me writing it all .. http://www.electricaltechnology.org/2012/03/can-we-operate-60hz-transformer-on-50hz.html

trouble is the small 230V one is a bugger to find.. I have been looking for a year now.

someone will probably tell you a hack to get it working .. just be aware its not the right way to do it.. Gottlieb made a 230v one for a reason.

#13 7 years ago

OK, thanks Doug, I actually never noticed the different part numbers in the notes until you pointed them out.

So are you going to run yours with a step-down transformer? Will that solve the frequency problem?

#14 7 years ago

a step-down doesnt change the frequency. just the voltage.

the one here ( the one over the back against the wall) isnt actually mine.. it belongs to a customer and its here waiting for the right transformer to come along to fix it properly. The trouble with "do it properly or not at all" is a game can sit for years waiting for the right second hand part to come along.

Someone might be able to tell you a hack to get it going ? perhaps it works well enough for you.. curious to see if R10 on the power supply burns up..

#15 7 years ago

Well, actually I lost the displays this afternoon and it turns out that now I have no 42V and 60V on the power supply, do you think that could be because R10 has failed? Or something else?

So even with the step-down transformer you pretty much have the same frequency problem? So I'm just wondering if it is worth going back to 110V or just leaving it as is. As I said the voltages were OK with the transformers in series, I just need to find a way to deal with the extra current (as per that link you posted)?

#16 7 years ago

fuse has blown in base. dont bother changing it.. it will keep happening. ask daniel how close he was to pushing machine off the roof before we spotted the cause

#17 7 years ago

You mean the display fuse F3? Nope, it's still good. I tried a different power supply and the voltages are OK, so it's definitely on the power supply somewhere.

#18 7 years ago

ok happy fixing.. lmk if you need schematic or anything

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Well, actually I lost the displays this afternoon and it turns out that now I have no 42V and 60V on the power supply, do you think that could be because R10 has failed? Or something else?

On the last power supply I worked on that had high voltage problems, the Q1 regulator with the heatsink had cracked solder joints.

R10 is a part of the 5v/12v section--it doesn't have anything to do with the 42v/60v section.

#20 7 years ago

Ok, thanks Doug, no I have the schematic.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

On the last power supply I worked on that had high voltage problems, the Q1 regulator with the heatsink had cracked solder joints.

Actually, it turns out the high voltage was due to the power supply being unloaded, the voltage dropped when I connected everything. The problem is I've now lost the 42V and 60V completely, any ideas as to the likely cause?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

R10 is a part of the 5v/12v section--it doesn't have anything to do with the 42v/60v section.

you sure its not part of the 8vdc offset for the 5vac for the displays?

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Actually, it turns out the high voltage was due to the power supply being unloaded, the voltage dropped when I connected everything. The problem is I've now lost the 42V and 60V completely, any ideas as to the likely cause?

I meant the high voltage section, not excessive voltage. Inspect Q1. It tends to wiggle.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

you sure its not part of the 8vdc offset for the 5vac for the displays?

Hmm..I'm not sure where the 8v is going to once it reaches the power supply connector or how it reaches the displays.

But--8vdc seems to come from the cabinet and doesn't get regulated on the power supply.

[edit]: I really shouldn't be looking at schematics this late at night.

#24 7 years ago

you have it ass about..

CR7 and R10 make it .. its then fed back to the small trafo as a reference voltage for the 5vac that runs the display filaments.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

[edit]: I really shouldn't be looking at schematics this late at night.

lol ..call the waitress we need another round of drinks

#26 7 years ago

Hi ForceFlow, glad to see you in this thread, hopefully Chris will hang in on this thread too. It's also good to see other System 80 guys helping on this thread as well wiredoug.

I just checked in to see what progress was made, I'm a little foggy from the Chemo treatment and I'm not near any of my schematics right now. So I'll ask a question about a common System 80 power supply issue that can shut down the displays without blowing the display fuse. Have all the header pins had the solder re-flowed at the A2 board? Making the power supply solid is the start of a healthy game.

It is common for solder cracks to form around any header pins in System 80 games. It might be where the display power has been lost at A2. While you have the A2 board separated from the heat sink you may want to replace R10 and CR7 with the correct parts as suggested in PinWiki if it hasn't been done yet.

This also happens at the pop bumper boards so keep that in mind for later.

As has been mentioned by wiredoug, another cause of display failure is the loss of the 5VAC to the displays, IIRC, there is also a connector involved in that line that will need to be looked at, I've seen it fail there in my BH.

You may also need to go back and check the displays themselves. One of them may have failed and shorted to ground taking all the displays down with it.

I'll check in later to see if the problem has been solved. Wow, lots of typing with numb fingers, I hope I didn't screw up too bad.

Steve (posting from the hospital)
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#27 7 years ago

I'm using another power supply at the moment and the game is operational, I'll try to fix the other power supply at a later date. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 year later
#28 6 years ago

In case anyone is reading this later down the track, I did end up fixing this. It turns out that CR5 was bad, I replaced it with the beefier 1N5372B.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-power-supply-high-42v-and-60v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.