Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I was purchasing parts to refurb a Counterforce, but ended up selling the machine with original boards and connectors before I started work on it. As a result I now have several replacement boards and connectors for a Gottlieb System 80 that I no longer need. Parts and prices are provided below:

New Ni-Wumpf System 80 MPU board - $180 shipped to U.S. - price dropped to $170 shipped

Refurbished System 80 Sound Board purchased at York Show from Mayfair as "guaranteed working" and still in original Mayfair packaging - $90 shipped to U.S. - price dropped to $75 shipped

MPU to voltage reg. connector - $7 shipped to U.S. - price dropped to $5

Or you can purchase all three items listed above for $260 shipped to a U.S. mainland address. - package price dropped to $235

- Brian ([email protected])

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Refurbished System 80 Sound Board purchased at York Show from Mayfair as "guaranteed working" and still in original Mayfair packaging - $90 shipped to U.S.

If I remember correctly those sounds boards are unique to each game on the system80's and if so only someone with a counterforce can use that. I'm not 100% positive as I've never had any problems with mine so have only read about them in passing while using Clay's guides.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

If I remember correctly those sounds boards are unique to each game on the system80's and if so only someone with a counterforce can use that. I'm not 100% positive as I've never had any problems with mine so have only read about them in passing while using Clay's guides.

After researching again I think I was wrong and that you may be able to switch chips and use them so long as they are like boards speech or speech/sound

#4 11 years ago

RWH,

I asked that very question of Mayfair when I purchased the board at the York Show because the packaging just said "early" System 80 sound board and it was not labeled with mention of any specific games such as Counterforce (the game I was purchasing it for at the time). I was told that this 100% working refurbished sound board works on any of the first (early) generation Gottlieb System 80's. At least, that's what they told me

- Brian

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

RWH,

I asked that very question of Mayfair when I purchased the board at the York Show because the packaging just said "early" System 80 sound board and it was not labeled with mention of any specific games such as Counterforce (the game I was purchasing it for at the time). I was told that this 100% working refurbished sound board works on any of the first (early) generation Gottlieb System 80's. At least, that's what they told me

- Brian

Well they probably know more than me but, I can't see how that could be without switching the chips that control/send sound bites or whatever, like the ones that control game logic rules etc..

#6 11 years ago

That might be, but even if that were the case, the board could be set up to allow for changing the sound chips, which means the board can be used with any games that use the same board. Many generations of sound and CPU boards require changing chips to the right one for the specific game. Again, I never opened the package to see what chips, if any, were on the board and if they were soldered in or more easily interchanged, but saying the board can be used for several games is not necessarily inconsistent with having to switch a chip depending on the right one for the specific game. Perhaps someone who knows these sound boards better could provide better information?

- Brian

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Perhaps someone who knows these sound boards better could provide better information?

To clarify, that sound board can be used in different games that use that version of the sound board, providing that you source and install the correct sound ROM. The sound ROM will have the game number printed on it. Game numbers can be found in the Gottlieb System 80 section of the Wiki.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#8 11 years ago

Thx for the clarification Chris; as I said I haven't an occasion arise where it was necessary for me to work on my boards, so I just kinda read up some outta curiousity in case the need should arise.

#9 11 years ago

Specifically the board should work in the following games with the correct ROM:

Spiderman, Panthera, Circus, Counter Force, Star Race, James Bond, Time Line, Force II, and Pink Panther

Someone would have to source the ROM from PBR which he probably gets $20 for.

He also sells new sound boards for $94 + shipping - don't know if that price includes the appropriate game ROM.

viperrwk

#10 11 years ago

ChrisHibler and viperrwk,

Thanks for the clarification and additional information. I believe PBR sells ROMs separately, but not sure.

So, with this new info, price drop on the sound board (guess I paid Mayfair too much for it?).

$75 shipped in the U.S. for the Gottlieb early system 80 sound board.

- Brian

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

So, with this new info, price drop on the sound board (guess I paid Mayfair too much for it?).

$75 shipped in the U.S. for the Gottlieb early system 80 sound board.

I would'nt venture so far as to say that, any first generation system80 can use the board and as stated the roms are relatively cheap. facts are that anyone interested would in all likelyhood have the rom they need from the start. I'd leave it as is.

#12 11 years ago

Bump (with lower prices)...

I was purchasing parts to refurb a Counterforce, but ended up selling the machine with original boards and connectors before I started work on it. As a result I now have several replacement boards and connectors for a Gottlieb System 80 that I no longer need. Parts and prices are provided below:

New Ni-Wumpf System 80 MPU board - $180 shipped to U.S. - price dropped to $170 shipped

Refurbished System 80 Sound Board purchased at York Show from Mayfair as "guaranteed working" and still in original Mayfair packaging - $90 shipped to U.S. - price dropped to $75 shipped

MPU to voltage reg. connector - $7 shipped to U.S. - price dropped to $5

Or you can purchase all three items listed above for $260 shipped to a U.S. mainland address. - package price dropped to $235

- Brian ([email protected])

1 year later
#13 9 years ago

did you ever sell the Ni-wumpf board?

#14 9 years ago

Steves boards at PBR do not come with roms.. they are seperate...

And Viper, your correct on the interchange...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-parts-for-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.