New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 191404)

Gottlieb system 80 mpu corrosion

By ddd

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gottlieb_battery_damage (resized).jpg
black hole corrosion back (resized).JPG
black hole corrosion front (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

This is my parents' pin, it's been sitting in their basement for a long time. I don't know the repair history other than they've had a tech work on it in the past and it's hasn't been working (or turned on) for 7 or 8 years.

I opened it up to check for damage and sure enough there is some corrosion around the battery.

However I don't see anything leaking out of the battery. Maybe it leaked in the past and this is a botched repair job. (Possibly from whoever scratched the board around this area.)

Does that seem likely from the photos or could this somehow be a slow leak from the current capacitor that I can't see?

Does this board seem salvageable or is it a lost cause? I don't mind a bit of a challenge but if it sounds like a quarter of the board needs trace repair that's probably a bit much for me.

black hole corrosion front (resized).JPG

black hole corrosion back (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

At a glance, the corrosion doesn't look too bad, certainly salvageable for sure.

#3 3 years ago

That doesn't look too bad. There are kits available to replace all the affected components. It does look like a half arsed repair though. Someone has sanded the affected traces but it doesn't look like they've neutralised the battery alkali so the corrosion continues.

In any case I would get that replacement battery off and mount a remote battery holder.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks! I will give repair a shot.

#5 3 years ago

Someone has globed solder on the edge connector contact points. That may cause problems. I would try to smooth it out.

#6 3 years ago

Basically the bottom left corner of the board will need to be cleaned up. Also remove the switches since there is likely corrosion under them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

gottlieb_battery_damage (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

There also appears to be a broken trace on the 5th contact from the right.

#8 3 years ago

It all looks fixable.

Make sure you read this before you begin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 339.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6.00
Rubber/Silicone
Ramp-O-Matic
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Magazines/books
Just Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 30.00
Various Novelties
Game Room Info Shop
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside