(Topic ID: 214368)

Gottlieb system 80 Mars God of War sound fixed, new issue.

By waldo34

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by waldo34
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180411_202648 (resized).jpg
Mars (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Having an issue of my sound fading, to a whisper, about 15 seconds after powering on and starting the first game on my MGoW. Reviewed Pinwiki and Pinside haven't found an example of this issue.

Troubleshooting done:
Sound/Speech board - NOS from Pinball Life
Sound roms are new from Pinball Resource
Grounded all boards
Updated big orange compositor
Doubled checked connections

Thanks, for any help.

#2 6 years ago

Check the A6 sound board power supply in the cabinet.
It should be mounted at the left side.
See if all voltages are present.
+12V, -12V ect....
Look in the manual schematics page 37.
The power supply can be a collection of components mounted on a wooden panel.

Mars (resized).jpgMars (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, I'll try and test tomorrow.

#4 6 years ago

Took the sound speech power board out. The compasitor is looking old. Didn't get time to test.

20180411_202648 (resized).jpg20180411_202648 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#5 5 years ago

No luck. Purchased a new power board and confirmed my power sound board works in my friends Mars. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

#6 5 years ago

Clarification questions around "power soundboard"

My sys80 Spider-Man has a soundboard and a power board with nothing extra in the bottom like the photo. So not sure what yours has... an extra board combining both sound and power?

Does your new power board work in your friends? Does your soundboard work in your friends? Or do both work in your friends? Or is this some kind of combined power and sound board?

Also is sound just really low but you can hear the various distinct sounds during game play... or no sound variations at all?

If it's just volume it would be in amplification circuit. If your sound board(s?) works in another machine then I think that only leaves the volume rheostat on bottom board or the speaker itself.

If you haven't already, spray some electronics cleaner or alcohol into the rheostat opening and run the knob around a bunch of times to clean the contacts... see if that helps. Rheostat is on bottom board near the front right (so you can reach it easy to adjust volume through front door)

#7 5 years ago

So THAT's a compasitor. I've heard of them, but never have seen one until now. And to think; for the last 50 years or so, I thought these were capacitors. How silly of me!

#8 5 years ago

compasitor makes sense, I am just not sure what I'm missing. I replaced the big orange one and the big blue one on the sound board power supply, planning to get back on this tomorrow. I was starting to wonder if I should look at the bridge rectifiers too.

1 week later
#9 5 years ago

Fixed but new problem. Seems the new sound board was bad, new one sounded great for the one game I played. Once the game ended it's not resetting and the gate at the top of the playfield keeps doing a open an shut. Ran out of time hoping a connector is loose.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Fixed but new problem. Seems the new sound board was bad, new one sounded great for the one game I played. Once the game ended it's not resetting and the gate at the top of the playfield keeps doing a open an shut. Ran out of time hoping a connector is loose.

Possibly crossed wires somewhere ? A) Swapped signals coming back from the drain switch and whatever triggers the top gate... or B) swapped signals coming back to activate the ball kicker and gate solenoids.

Does the game seem to reset for the next player or ball, but the ball doesn’t kick out (B) or does the game not reset at all... thinks it’s still playing the ball that drained (A)

#11 5 years ago

it was a stuck ball kicker switch on top.you were correct as game thinks it was still playing ball.game boots up and plays.not my game but walter was trusting enough to leave his game here and i already broke all my stuff so i thought why not hack his stuff.this is a nice mars that only needs a bit of tweaking.

#12 5 years ago

Happy as heck to be back up and going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-mars-god-of-war-sound-fades-after-15-seconds?hl=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.