• Latest reply 6 years ago by noflip95
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-10-15_19h37_53 (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

Hey there! So, I'm not sure if this is something that I did to cause this but on my Devil's Dare game, one of the scoring displays always has the commas on. Is this something fixable?

I'm not sure if this issue was present prior to the display brightening procedure I did but no matter what is going on while the game is on, the commas are displayed for player #3. Any ideas?

display brightening procedure reference video:

#2 6 years ago

If that is the only display doing it, it might have a bad UDN6118A chip at Z2. That is usually the culprit when there are stuck segments on a particular display.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If that is the only display doing it, it might have a bad UDN6118A chip at Z2. That is usually the culprit when there are stuck segments on a particular display.

What an awesomely specific answer! I'll give it a try! Thanks!!!

3 months later
#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeffoto:

What an awesomely specific answer! I'll give it a try! Thanks!!!

I finally got around to this this morning, swapped out the chip with a new one and the dang commas are still there! Could it be Z1?

#5 6 years ago

If you have just commas bad on one display - look into Z3.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeffoto:

I finally got around to this this morning, swapped out the chip with a new one and the dang commas are still there! Could it be Z1?

No, Z1 in not involved in the comma generation.

Devil's Dare is a SYSTEM 80A and Gottlieb use new 7's digits tubes on this series. The comma was not present on the previous SYSTEM 80, 6's digits tubes. To drive this additional feature, they add a new IC on the display boards : Z3, a 7432 - 4 x OR gate (only 2 used).
This circuit is intended to detect if a digit (or more) is displayed and in this case, activate the commas. If the display is off, the commas are also switched off. The detection is done by an OR gate between segments a, c and h (this is enough to detect any digit from 0 to 9).
2017-10-15_19h37_53 (resized).png2017-10-15_19h37_53 (resized).png

As ForceFlow said, the problem can be Z2 as it drive the high-voltage for comma "segment".
But it can be also the detection that don't work. So as G-P-E said, change Z3 (7432).

Another thing to check: there is not a short circuit on the connectors at the entrance of the glass tube. Check the pin 26 (comma) and contiguous pin 25/27.

Note that the regeneration procedure (by over-voltage on the filament) can not be responsible for this failure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 85.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 125.00
Playfields
Trident Pinball Homebrew
Playfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.