(Topic ID: 297616)

Solved: Gottlieb system 80 - is this normal?

By sparky672

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sparky672
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Volcano (1981 system 80). Ground modifications were done long time ago. New electrolytic caps on most of the boards including the sound board. The big orange capacitor was replaced in the past.

Thanks to Chris Hibler for the suggestion, I successfully completed the MPU reset circuit modification using the equivalent chip (MCP130-460DI/TO from Microchip Technology).

Reset ModificationReset Modification

However, now when I click the power button, the first digit of the credit display very brightly flashes zero for maybe a second before booting normally. In the 9 years I've owned the machine, I have never seen a blip on the credit display during any successful boot. Only during boot failures would the displays show any bright random characters.

bright zero on credit displaybright zero on credit display

For anyone with a system 80, is this normal?

Again, this has only started happening immediately after I did the MPU reset modification. How about anyone with a system 80 who has done the MPU reset modification... is this normal? I was reading that the original reset was 50ms, but when using this MCP130-460DI/TO reset chip, the reset timing goes up to 350ms (150ms min - 700ms max acc to spec) ... maybe this is the reason?

Thank you!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yep, that's right. Most of the guides that covered the reset chip pointed this out as well I guess pinwiki doesn't?

I read & followed PinWiki on this mod... there is nothing there about seeing a zero flash on the credit display, nor anything about the difference in reset timing.

Just to confirm, you are saying this is normal to see a zero-digit blip on the credit display after doing the MPU reset mod?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I wouldn't worry about the zero at all though it's not likely to damage your display if that's your concern.

Yes, thank you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-is-this-normal?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.