• 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sparky672
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ecd39e1fb3ab49a6e2e816a4945f3e70afd2fcb4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I had a working CPU for a Gottlieb Volcano (system 80, 2nd gen) that only needed a little more cleanup... it booted 95% of the time and needed a new reset circuit. While waiting on my reset circuit chip, I worked on the playfield.

Then after changing some capacitors on the sound board and doing some playfield work, like adding the capacitors to the slingshot solenoids, I booted up successfully a few times and then bam... nothing. Going back and reviewing everything that I had done, it turns out that when I took off the spinner assembly I moved it over to where it was touching one of the leaf switches for a slingshot kicker. So when I turned it on, I sent 38 volts to pin 14 on A1J6... I can even see the mark on the side of the kicker switch.

ecd39e1fb3ab49a6e2e816a4945f3e70afd2fcb4 (resized).pngecd39e1fb3ab49a6e2e816a4945f3e70afd2fcb4 (resized).png

It comes up to all zeros as if the tilt switch was held closed. All three tilt switches are verified open.

After a bit of troubleshooting...

1. Still have a clock.
2. I have the Reset signal. U1 pin 40 goes high within ½ second. Touching pin 40 to ground does not force game to boot.
3. I have the RDY signal. U1 pin 2 goes to 5 volts.
4. IRQ never goes to pulse. U1 pin 4 stays at 5 volts.

When I realized that the spinner circuit was crossed with 38 volts, I started testing the switch matrix chips.

I tested Z15 with a logic probe and a DMM in diode mode. Output pin 11 is dead.

Afraid to power it up, I just used diode mode of the DMM to test Z11, Z12, Z13, and Z14.

The gate on Z14 that is directly connected to pin 14 on A1J6 is blown too. The only DIP turned on in that row was 28, which explains pin 11 on Z15.

I have some new 74x chips coming today, but I'm wondering if I could have damaged the U4 Riot chip as well? The fact that it's coming up as if a tilt switch is closed is an encouraging sign, I'm hoping. Fingers crossed that when the 38 volts blew through those chips, it went out the ground pin and nowhere else.

Aside from the obvious, my stupidity, any thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

Game booted up after I changed out Z14 and Z15. Luckily, U4 was unaffected.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
€ 175.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toppers
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Special When Lit
Cabinet parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-i-blew-it?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.