Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinterest
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maralb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

1. Take the main green ground wire that attaches to the lock in the backbox, and bolt it to the power supply frame. This involves undoing two screws. Note this wire goes down to the bottom board's brass metal "ground central", where all the green wires connect together. Time: 10 seconds.

I would like to disagree here Using the power supply frame as a common point for GND introduces a new potential problem. What's the case......The power supply frame is only isolated from the incoming +12V at the case of the power transistor. This piece of material can be damaged after dismantling the power supply and the result can be +12V at the frame of the power supply. Normally this doesn't hurt but fuses don't like attaching a Ground wire now I did see this happening a few times already. The same counts for using the sys80B heatsink as a common point for GND.

As a common point for Grounding, I always use one of the yellow straps in later system 80A games, the lower hinge of the lamp panel in earlier sys80 games (circuitboards mounted at the lamp panel), or the screw left below in the backbox which holds the panel at which the circuitboards are mounted (Haunted House and later).

Just my 2 cents.....

Greetings from a technician from Holland

Marco

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Maralb, I don't know. Never had that problem. Been doing it that way for over 20 years. And probably on hundreds of games. Not that this makes it right! Just never seen what you describe. Does that happen if the power supply's power transistor's mica fails ?

Hello Clay, I've seen it 2 times in 12 years I repair games. At 1 game, somebody left the mica insulator completely, and in another game, a tiny piece of metal became between the power transistor and heatsink which pierced the mica insulator. Well, if the insulator is okay there won't be any problems, but the heatsink is very very close to the incoming +12V which prevents me from using it as a common point for grounding..... Maybe it is a matter of taste or feeling but I prefer to take a different approach.

Marco

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maralb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-ground-mod-confusion-board-to-board-vs-connector?tu=maralb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.