Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinterest
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Good ground is a tying a heavy ground completely from source to end and using ring terminals as often as possible (some places not possible - soldered instead).

Regardless of what Todd says -- the ground still goes through the edge connectors on the CPU's J1 connector and these will cause just as many headaches as the CPU/Driver board interconnect (I know first hand). Can also repin J1 but best to add a heavy connection that does not rely on plugs. Add to the fact that Todd also says to use a *used* wire from a scrap connector - one that has already gone through who knows how many installation/removal cycles.

First video you link to does his 'star' connection at the ground straps at the bottom of the head. Doesn't matter where the star connection is as long as everybody is tied together somewhere.

I run a heavy 16AWG black ground from bridge to cap, from cap to a 'star' connection at the screw in the middle of the CPU board. Star goes off to power supply board (mine has a screw terminal on the board specifically for grounds), to the driver board and also to the sound board. I also run a few red 16AWG wires - heavy power from bridge to cap, from cap to power supply input (mine has a lug terminal on the board) and from power supply to CPU board. This task is made far easier when you use a power supply with screw terminals for +V input, +V output and ground.

Also fix the ground 'mess' of 0.093 connectors at the transformer assembly *if* it used the bunch of ground connections through the 093 plugs (not all did).

Ed

#38 8 years ago

Fork connectors / ring connectors -- they are both good and give you a bit better looking connection. These don't suffer the same problem as other connectors such as push on type connectors because these are screwed down and don't come loose. I have never seen one of these go bad although I can see how the wire can break (but so can a tinned wire).
Fastons or spade type terminals - now that's a different story, those I do not recommend.

The 100 pack fork terminals Ken pointed to are fine. Also, having a good crimper for these makes a world of difference. Watch ebay for WT145C crimpers -- you can sometimes pick one up for about $20.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-ground-mod-confusion-board-to-board-vs-connector?tu=g-p-e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.