• Latest reply 3 years ago by Haymaker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201004_224428 (resized).jpg
20201004_224359 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I'm trying to sell my haunted house and I'm going through it just trying to take care of some minor issues. Right now, the one I'm having trouble with is 2 of the displays have segments locked on. They will always show a 1 regardless of what number should be displayed. It's only on the credit/match display and the basement display so i can't even switch them around. My first assumption was just that the card edge contacts were dirty, but after cleaning and even retinning the problem remained.

Next step I'm wondering if i need to repin the connector or what I'm leaning more toward is a bad chip somewhere (7404? 7432?)

Any help to point me in the right direction? In the pics you can see credits should read 0, and the lower display should be all 0's not 0's with lines through them
20201004_224359 (resized).jpg20201004_224359 (resized).jpg20201004_224428 (resized).jpg20201004_224428 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

This problem is usually due to slight corrosion on the connectors.
Try removing then re-installing all display connectors and see if it
changes.
Steve

Thanks for the info, but I not only tried that, but I also tried cleaning them with a fiberglass brush as well as re-tinning them, all 3 things and no luck

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from bontango:

For testing you can swap the basement display with one of the player displays.
Are the displays 'stuck' or do they just showing an additional 'I'?

The displays work fine other than the segments in my pictures always being on. You can decode the scores and credits fairly easily and its never really bothered me that much, but I figure if I'm going to find a new owner, I should probably take care of that issue. Good tip on swapping the basement display, I couldn't remember if it matched the normal displays or not.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from bontango:

The basement display and the credit display do share the same segment driver. The segment for the "|" is the "h" segment.
Looks like you have either a contact problem with pin24 of J2 on the MPU board or the driver for the "h" segment is faulty.
For this "h" segment the driver is a part of Z17 on the MPU board (the other parts of that IC do drive display digits 1..5).
Gottlieb did use a 7404, acceptable subs are 74LS04 and 74HCT04.

Excellent info! This should help me get on the right track. Thank you!! I will update if I get things figured out

#9 3 years ago

lol I feel so dumb, I just reseated the connector and it's working perfectly now. Still I'm glad i learned a little more about the operation of the system 80

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-display-problem-?tu=haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.