• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_5D87825A452B4686B77B31561C43D606 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been repinning the connectors on my Haunted House, and it's helped to take care of a few small issues. Even so, I've been having some garbage characters/flickering on a couple of displays, and it still happens though I replaced the MPU pins to the displays.

The Player 4 display is the main problem, and I've cleaned the contacts and reflowed everything. The problem is on the IDC style pins on the display connector. You can wiggle the wires and the display flickers, or loses a segment, whatever. The question is what to do with it, since there are a bunch of "pass through" wires on the display connectors. I emailed GPE and your typical crimping on new pins aren't going to work in this situation. What should I do to fix these connectors?

thumbnail_5D87825A452B4686B77B31561C43D606 (resized).jpgthumbnail_5D87825A452B4686B77B31561C43D606 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Well, crimp on pins will work... But just not the optimal nor nice looking solution for these feed thru type connections.
I don't really see a good solution unless you want to give the two wires into one contact a try. Not the easiest to do and defies all 'proper crimp' rules but does work.

Clay had a photo of this on his website but I cannot remember his website... maybe somebody will chime in on this one. I know the guy that submitted the photo of this and he kind of regrets submitting the photo since it isn't exactly what is considered a good crimp particularly on the insulation crimp.

#3 4 years ago

Well I guess so far it's just a conversation between you and me lol.

I wish this wasn't even a problem...I've taken care of this game, but perhaps someone in the past pulled on the wires around the display or something. Maybe it's just time. But I definitely have a problem with the 4 player and credit display wiring at their connector.

Perhaps in this situation trying to use an IDC tool to reseat the wires would be best?

#4 4 years ago

You can try... but most often the bad connection is between the contact and the PC board finger. The contacts tend to bend up and lose their ability to apply force to the PC board finger.

I was hoping somebody would chime in on that link - I can't remember it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-display-connector-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.