6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A230721-803A-4B1F-A8BE-C9082BEB3975 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Just purchased a 1980 Gottlieb Counterforce pinball machine that has upgraded boards and is functional, however there are about 6 controlled lamps (green multipliers) that are not working properly —-> very dim when they are powered up. I thought I would reach out to the experts & veterans on these forums as I am a newbie. They were tested with a DMM, and they are getting power, but not enough to light them fully. The irony is The original MPU was replaced with a Swermmer board, and the original driver board was replaced with a Ni-Wumph board. In addition, the Swermmer board is connected to the Ni-Wumph driver board with a ribbon cable (instead of the original Gottlieb multi-wire connector — so there should be no issue with a worn / corroded / damaged pin causing problems with the signal going to the driver board.

I inspected the A3 - J3 plug connector and did notice (1) lamp pin connector (one of the problem lamps) was replaced with standard Molex edge connector pin (System 1) and not the Molex 08-03-0304 bifurcated edge connector pin. Could this incorrect pin cause problems or issues? Is this be some sort of ground issue? Defective lamp sockets? I have the Counterforce manual with schematics, and they show the controlled lamp signal coming from the driver board to the map but then ties into a common connection — but it does not look like a ground (on schematic). However, in reality the wire comes into light socket the goes to stapled ground wire, which is tied into all the other multiplier controlled lamps. For example, lamps L41, L43, and L45 have the problem, but L42, L44, and L46 cycle and are operational. Therefore, I do not think it is a ground issue because all lamps would have issues. Could this be defective pins on the edge connector for these lamps? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

8A230721-803A-4B1F-A8BE-C9082BEB3975 (resized).jpeg8A230721-803A-4B1F-A8BE-C9082BEB3975 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

BUMP for help and assistance.

#3 5 years ago

did you check the wiring going to those lamps..could also need a reflow of solder on those socket legs

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Midniterider:

However, in reality the wire comes into light socket the goes to stapled ground wire, which is tied into all the other multiplier controlled lamps.

That bare stapled line is not a ground, it is line voltage for the lamps. Drive transistors ground the lights so I would look at those.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-80-controlled-lamp-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.