(Topic ID: 170391)

Gottlieb System 3 vertical fuse holder cracked. Workaround?

By KillerQ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by joesaid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

strikes and spares fuse holder (resized).jpg
IMG_20161004_224449 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161004_224443 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161004_224433 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

While screwing one of the fuse caps back into the vertical fuse holder on my Big Hurt Gottlieb System 3 power supply, the threads that stick out of the fuse holder that's in the power supply basically shattered into a bunch of little pieces... Just my luck.

I know these have been historically known to fail, so it wasn't that surprising....

Before I order an entire replacement power supply (part MA-1928), however, I was wondering if there are any temporary workarounds to rectify this?

As long as the fuse is seated with the cap on top, it should should work right? That is, I can tape over the cap to keep the pressure on it while still allowing the circuit to be completed. ..

Or, should I add a new external inline fuse mount?

I'm sure others have been here, just looking for the most practical fix at the moment....

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20161004_224433 (resized).jpgIMG_20161004_224433 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161004_224443 (resized).jpgIMG_20161004_224443 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161004_224449 (resized).jpgIMG_20161004_224449 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Killer, i had this happen on my gladiators, and as a temp fix, i bought a fuse holder, barrel type from radio shack, and i just soldered wires to the leads inside. Its since been fixed, but it worked just fine while i waited on the part

#3 7 years ago

OK,

The situation isn't as bad as I first thought... It was just the plastic hex nut that cracked. Once I removed the power supply, and saw how open it was underneath, working on it should be a breeeeze. The fuse holder actually closes just fine still - it was just that when it sunk into the housing, it scared me at first. I popped the fuse holder back through its hole, and it still closes just fine.

Now that I have it removed, I'm debating on ordering a replacement fuse holder or changing it over to a different style mount/holder...

Thanks.

#4 7 years ago

Just order an original fuse holder and be done with it. It breaks. Well known issue just like the fuse clips DE uses that wear out over time. Don't reinvent the wheel and don't hack up a game.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Just order an original fuse holder and be done with it. It breaks. Well known issue just like the fuse clips DE uses that wear out over time. Don't reinvent the wheel and don't hack up a game.

Valid point! Plus, it's less than a $3 part!

Thanks!

1 year later
#6 6 years ago

Can you tell me which fuse goes in which holder? Two of mine disintegrated and I now don't know which fuses to place in each holder.

Thanks!

strikes and spares fuse holder (resized).jpgstrikes and spares fuse holder (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-vertical-fuse-holder-cracked-workaround and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.