Gottlieb System 3 (Super Mario Bros) w/ no music

By alicos

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

We're having issues with a Super Mario Bros table that was pretty much left to rot in a warehouse for who knows how long. Someone had proceeded to work on the sound board at some point in time, but we don't know who, why, when, or if they even were successful— the pin was left as parts when we got to it.

After replacing a couple of the rom chips and the interconnect between the main and auxiliary sound boards, we're at the point that the game works, but we only get the speech cues and no background music. MAMMA MIA.

We the voice callouts from the auxiliary board, but the only audio we ever get from the main board is a single "beep" at boot, and a weak sound at the start of a game. We read that we're supposed to get two beeps, but we don't have any other working Gottlieb pin to confront.

The audio amp works fine, the power supply is fine, voltages on the board are stable and what they're supposed to be, we've done the ground mod just to be on the safe side, there are no obviously damaged traces we could identify, and we tried Marco Albus' test rom (the RAM chips were replaced from whomever worked on the board before us with compatible chips, and they tested fine; the input test also seemed to proceed as it says on the guide, but we don't have an oscilloscope to look into the signals in more detail).

We thought it could be caused by the 65C02P2 cpus, but we swapped them between the two columns, and with others we had, and there was no change (also they tested fine with the test roms). We swapped the AD7528J dac thinking it was an issue with the analog conversion, but it didn't change anything. We swapped the Yamaha 2151 on the auxiliary board with another one from a working pin, and no change (the one we swapped out works fine). We tested trying to feed an analog audio signal to the board output (pin #9 of A6P2, which is connected to the auxiliary board and then mixed into the audio amp) from an external source, and it works fine that way. We've even tried to feed the audio output directly into a separate audio amp, bypassing completely the auxiliary board, but we still got nothing. We've thought it could be the S1 chip (LS161) having issues generating the 2mhz clock from the crystal, but it wasn't (we're grasping at straws here).

Going into the sound test, we get signals on the A6P1 connector, but no sound or tone of any kind comes out of the board. The input test of Marco Albus' test rom shows the cpu recognizing inputs as it is written it should (two blinks for one pin to ground, one blink for multiple, tested all of A6P1).

As far as we can tell, the issue should be with the sound generation within the main audio board itself, but we can't locate where. The absolute last thing we can come up with would be to change every single chip on the board "just because"— which is not really something we look forward to.

"Get a new soundboard" is not the suggestion we're looking for. We want to know what the hell is wrong with THIS one, after all the trouble we went through.

TL;DR: System 3 sound board, all roms are fine. Voice plays, music doesn't. Ran out of ideas, need help.

#2 7 years ago

The sounds are addressed by one of the VIA's at the CPU board. Maybe there is a problem over there? I can send you a testrom for testing the CPU board as well.

Or maybe a problem in the analog path after the DAC's at the soundboard?

Marco

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

The sounds are addressed by one of the VIA's at the CPU board. Maybe there is a problem over there? I can send you a testrom for testing the CPU board as well.
Or maybe a problem in the analog path after the DAC's at the soundboard?
Marco

Thank you so much for your help. We could flash another rom and test the Cpu board too, that'd at least rule another possibility out (or solve the problem).

As for the analog path, we don't think so, we tapped into the output immediately after the DAC with another source, and it works fine (pin 20 of the E2 chip), we can get sound into the amp mixed with the voice without trouble...

edit: we tried the CPU test (all we could try without an oscilloscope, that is), and it seems to be fine as far as we could tell. As I wrote before, we tried the sound test and it does -something- on the A6P1 connector on the sound board, so the CPU should be sending signals over to the sound board itself.

While we were at it, we checked the battery (which was fine), disconnected it to flush the ram to be on the safe side (we already did the factory reset before, without any luck), and reset the game to the factory defaults again. Still no music except for the beep at the start, voices still play just fine.

#4 7 years ago

Hello

I have a SMB and a I had a similar problem with my machine (if not the same).

To diagnose the problem, I temporarly replaced the bottom speaker with a headphone, for testing, and I could hear the music very faint (when the volume was at max). This indicated me that the sound was there and was an issue of amplification (no ROM problems or sound specific chips)

The problem was some miniature electrolytic capacitors in the sound board (5x11mm or similar size). They were dead. These capacitors are used to couple all the sounds, through a series of OPAMPS, before the power amplifier.

If one of them is dead, that part of the sound doesn't follow through the path and that sound doens't get amplified. I could hear loud and clear the call outs. All sound tests where OK, all status LEDs on the boards were OK indicating they were booting up, i could not hear the double screech sound on the machine start up. Similar what you said.

During the sound test, with volume at max, i could hear the missing sounds in the headphone also.

I took me a while to figure it out...

I will take a look in the manual and post the pictures where the capacitors are located on the circuit.

Give me a couple of days.

Hope I could help.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from mcoster:

Hello
I have a SMB and a I had a similar problem with my machine (if not the same).
To diagnose the problem, I temporarly replaced the bottom speaker with a headphone, for testing, and I could hear the music very faint (when the volume was at max). This indicated me that the sound was there and was an issue of amplification (no ROM problems or sound specific chips)
The problem was some miniature electrolytic capacitors in the sound board (5x11mm or similar size). They were dead. These capacitors are used to couple all the sounds, through a series of OPAMPS, before the power amplifier.
If one of them is dead, that part of the sound doesn't follow through the path and that sound doens't get amplified. I could hear loud and clear the call outs. All sound tests where OK, all status LEDs on the boards were OK indicating they were booting up, i could not hear the double screech sound on the machine start up. Similar what you said.
During the sound test, with volume at max, i could hear the missing sounds in the headphone also.
I took me a while to figure it out...
I will take a look in the manual and post the pictures where the capacitors are located on the circuit.
Give me a couple of days.
Hope I could help.

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don't think we have any issues with the analog part of the sound chain...

If we insert an analog signal (from an external source) at any point of the chain after the DAC on the main sound board, even directly on pin 20 of the DAC itself, we get the audio properly mixed and audible from the speakers of the cab. If we connect a separate (amplified) speaker to the output of the main audio board (bypassing all audio filtering and amplifying of the main and auxiliary board), we still get no music.

What we -do- get from the main board, strange as it is, is:
— a single beep at boot
— a single, cymbal-like sound at the start of a game (I suppose when the music is supposed to start)
— a single, different cymbal-like sound after a while (I suppose when the main music loop ends? I have no idea).

So, we're getting —something— out of the main audio board, but no music.

How is the main audio board in a System 3 supposed to work? Is it only "started" and "stopped" by the CPU (as in, commanded when to begin playing a loop from the rom chips until the current game ends), or is it directly controlled by the main CPU at all times? If it's the former, would there be a way to trigger the start of the audio loop on the bench, perhaps?

If it's the latter, is it possible that the CPU can drive the auxiliary correctly, command the board to start doing something, but then fritz off?

I wish we had another System 3 board to swap in and test, but these things seem to be non-existent here.

Another question: we've pretty much excluded the auxiliary board so far under the assumption that "the one on the top takes care of the voices, the one on the bottom does the music". But on the auxiliary board there's a Yamaha synthesizer— what is its purpose? The chip itself is fine (we've swapped it with one from a Fish Tales too, and they both work), but we get nothing on the output of the YM3014 DAC following it. If we inject an analog signal after the YM3014, we get sound out of that.

Could it be that the DAC on the auxiliary board is toast, and we're not getting any music out of the main sound board because —no music is generated there to begin with—? Again, we have no other comparable Gottlieb system to look at.

Also, the YM2151 is running hot. Not scalding, but unpleasant to the touch.

#6 7 years ago

An update from the pinball that came straight out of hell: we tried swapping out U11 on the cpu board, and things got slightly worse at boot (the game hangs while booting if the ribbon cable to the display board is connected, but if it's unplugged and then reconnected, the game proceeds to boot and work just as before).

The rom on the display board does not match the one we downloaded, but we don't have a spare of that specific chip at hand, so we're not gonna do anything about that. If we get the machine to talk, we'll tackle the intermittent boot issues, otherwise, well...

#7 7 years ago

I do have some Mario Bros displayrom images and they all are different despite being marked with the same revisions.

I would replace C20 and C21 (both 1uF) before replacing U11 (HC123). They often cause the CPU board not to start properly. If there are 330K resistors in this circuitry, replace them by 680K (Gottlieb did in later system 3 games).

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I do have some Mario Bros displayrom images and they all are different despite being marked with the same revisions.
I would replace C20 and C21 (both 1uF) before replacing U11 (HC123). They often cause the CPU board not to start properly. If there are 330K resistors in this circuitry, replace them by 680K (Gottlieb did in later system 3 games).

Thank you for your suggestions! We'll surely do that when we get to it, but for the time being we just put the original U11 back in and the machine boots 100% of the time without issues.
(I personally have no idea why the board wouldn't boot with a different chip than its original one, but again, we'll take care of that when we get to it).

We're trying to get an Arena functional (the closest Gottlieb we actually have on hand), so we'll be able to piggyback on its sound card and test the digital signal into our Super Mario dac, and the digital signal from the Super Mario into the Arena's dac.

Fat lotta good it's gonna do us, but at least the boss'll have a working Arena after that.

#9 7 years ago

New week, new update from our personal hell.
The Arena is functional, it squawks and beeps and bops and all that. We initially thought that the commands sent to the sound board from the CPU in these Gottlieb games were complex, but it seems that (at least on the Arena), it's just pulling one or more lines low and telling the sound board which sound loops to play. Even without a sound test available, we can get it to play the game sounds at will.

The sound test in the Super Mario does just that, it pulls a line low and, supposedly, gets the board to play a simple tone. On the machine we have here, we get the signal low, but no sound.

...which is extremely confusing, given that it still manages to command the speech and sfx just fine. And the starting beep. And the weird cymbal crash sound we hear from time to time.

THIS GAME'S A LOTTA FUN.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from alicos:

THIS GAME'S A LOTTA FUN.

Lol. Mario is one of the few games I leave the attract sound on - so he declares this in my game room a lot. I had to laugh at your appropriate sarcastic use of it.

Sorry for all your troubles. I hope you get it fixed. I have a working game if you need me to test anything (not sure if you are in New England area and if that is any help...)

#11 7 years ago

I have a working Gottlieb System 3 Sound Board (MA1629) for $125. No repairs or hacks. Pulled from a fully working Bell Ringer.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Lol. Mario is one of the few games I leave the attract sound on - so he declares this in my game room a lot. I had to laugh at your appropriate sarcastic use of it.
Sorry for all your troubles. I hope you get it fixed. I have a working game if you need me to test anything (not sure if you are in New England area and if that is any help...)

Thank you for your offer! Unfortunately we're about an Ocean away, so the logistics of that would be quite complex

If you're willing to tinker (without a soldering iron or anything, just popping out a chip, if you have it on a socket) with your Mario, we're kinda curious to know -what- sounds come out of the main board, and what from the auxiliary. We're kinda doubting the two DACs involved (we've swapped out the one on the main sound board, but we don't have a spare for the one in the auxiliary board), and some things are hard to tell from youtube videos and emulated tables.

What music plays/what is missing if you remove the Yamaha 2151 (U9) from the auxiliary board?

What music plays/what is missing if you remove the D-rom chip from the main sound board?

#13 7 years ago

I can try to answer those questions as long as the chip is socketed! Let me try and look tonight.

#14 7 years ago

I'm not sure about this... but I think that on System 3s some of the percussion in the music comes out through the board that controls the voices and some of the sound effects. So that might explain why you're hearing those cymbal sounds. I almost wonder if, for some reason, the music is playing back super slowly or something since you said you occasionally hear more cymbals play... I'm just throwing some (probably wrong) ideas out there.

Also, not sure if this helps, but if you hold the operator button in when you power on the machine, it should bring you to a proper sound test where you can try to play all the music and sound effects. At least, my Stargate has that feature.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I'm not sure about this... but I think that on System 3s some of the percussion in the music comes out through the board that controls the voices and some of the sound effects. So that might explain why you're hearing those cymbal sounds. I almost wonder if, for some reason, the music is playing back super slowly or something since you said you occasionally hear more cymbals play... I'm just throwing some (probably wrong) ideas out there.
Also, not sure if this helps, but if you hold the operator button in when you power on the machine, it should bring you to a proper sound test where you can try to play all the music and sound effects. At least, my Stargate has that feature.

We are definitely sure that the cymbal sounds are coming from the main sound board because we've isolated the audio output from that (Pin 9 of A6P2) and connected to a separate amplified speaker, and we get those three sounds (one beep at boot, a cymbal at the start of a game, and another cymbal after a while during an ongoing game) and nothing else...

We've tried comparing the audio boards from the Arena and the Super Mario, but it seems that, even though most of the board layout and components are the same, they process the audio inputs from the CPU in a different way:
— when one of the S0-S7 inputs of the board gets pulled low (even shorted directly to ground), the Arena board plays some of the game sounds. Pin 8 of A2, which is normally low, briefly changes state (enough to tell with a multimeter), and then goes back to low.

— on the Super Mario, pin 8 of A2 is low at boot. Whenever a sound plays (not the boot sound, but a sound sent from the CPU, like starting a game or inserting a coin), the pin goes high and stays high. If we pull one of the S0-S7 lines low (either via the sound test, or manually), no sound plays. If we manually pull pin 8 of A2 low, we get the board to repeat the last sound played (any of the speech samples), and it goes back to staying high.

— if we disconnect the A6P1 connector on the Super Mario (which carries the S0-S7 from the CPU board), the A2 on the sound board behaves like the one in the Arena— pin 8 is normally low, changes state when an S line is pulled low, and goes back to low. Still no sound.

We're comparing two different generations of the same system— maybe the System 3 one has stricter timings for the inputs, so the difference is by design. Or maybe there's something amiss with the via at U5 on the Cpu board— but it can play the sound clips when it's supposed to, so...

(Also— apparently we're supposed to hear the coin sound when the ball hits the mushroom bumpers, but we don't, so we might not even be getting all the sounds we should...)

#16 7 years ago

I think some of the sound effects are produced by the Yamaha chip, and the coin may be one of them. If you download the game's sound ROM and open it in Audacity (Or I guess anything similar) you should be able to hear all the voices and sound effects produced by the currently working board.

Again I'm not totally sure about this as I've never really dealt with this sort of stuff, but this is what I've observed on my Stargate. Just thought I'd throw a few ideas out their.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I think some of the sound effects are produced by the Yamaha chip, and the coin may be one of them. If you download the game's sound ROM and open it in Audacity (Or I guess anything similar) you should be able to hear all the voices and sound effects produced by the currently working board.
Again I'm not totally sure about this as I've never really dealt with this sort of stuff, but this is what I've observed on my Stargate. Just thought I'd throw a few ideas out their.

Thank you! We'll try that out and see if we can identify what comes out of where in the game (we've tried the procedure to boot into the other sound test, but it doesn't seem to work).

In the meantime, we've asked a colleague for a favor and we're having him put the two 6522 vias on the CPU board onto sockets, so we'll try to swap them out and see if, by any chance, we're just getting funky signals from the CPU board on the audio lines (unlikely, but we've ran out of ideas about twenty tries ago).

2 months later
#18 7 years ago

Was your issue resolved? I'm having similar issues with a Sys 3 Sound board and have spent the last week+ trying to diagnose it.
I've also been searching high and low for Marco's test roms and can't find them anywhere! Can I ask where you got them...

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Holy-SNES:

Was your issue resolved? I'm having similar issues with a Sys 3 Sound board and have spent the last week+ trying to diagnose it.
I've also been searching high and low for Marco's test roms and can't find them anywhere! Can I ask where you got them...

Just send me a PM with your email address

1 week later
#20 7 years ago

Just following up on my experience, which was kind of similar to alicos'.

I have a Gladiators which had only drum beats being played. No voices, no music, no effects, just those damn drum beats.
Gladiators uses the same system boards as Mario (A6 Main Sound Board - MA1629 and A20 auxillary sound board - MA1770).
I didn't know this before, but when you turn on the game, you're supposed to hear 2 beeps. The first is a soft beep, kind of like a 'leave a massage after the beep' sound from an answering machine beep. The second is a louder, high pitch beep. Mine was only giving the second beep.
Steps I took...

- Reflashed all ROMs
- Replaced all 4 op amps (2 on aux and 2 on main board).
- Checked all resis and caps.
- Studied the schematics over and over, probing chips and what not.
- Used Marco's test ROMs to verify the main board working.

And pretty much anything else one could think of with the tools/parts I had and without ordering random chips from abroad.

Well, I got in contact with Marco and I must say, this guy is amazing! Not only did he supply the test ROMs, he was kind enough to take his time and walk me through some steps, matching checksums, explaining how the system 3 sound works in a nutshell etc. A big thanks Marco

Anyways, his test ROMs will verify whether the main board is working AND, also verify whether the outputs are getting to the aux board via the A20P4 bus. Well, this all tested out all fine. He explained that the D-section controls the DAC (the drum beats were stored on the DROM). The Y-section ROM addresses the sounds/music and speech phrases at the auxiliary soundboard via the expansion socket. With his test ROMs in action, probing pins 11-15 on the expansion socket showed activity, verifying that the outputs were at least getting there. Getting this far, he narrowed it down to the Auxiliary sound board.

My next option was to shotgun this board. Being in Australia, I'd have to wait weeks for the parts, and shipping eventually adds up. Well, a few days later I magically managed to source down another working MA1770 aux board in my state, at a great price too! Picked it up only this morning, placed the ROMs in and presto! It's working 100%.
Now with a working aux board, I can mix and match and try and find the culprit.

First thing I did was swap over the Yamaha YM2151 chip. Well, this helped because now the music is restored. Unfortunately the voices and some of the sound effects are still missing. My suspect is the OKI MSM6295 Voice Synthesis. Steve sells them as part #27922 for $20 USD, but before I buy one, I'm going to swap over the one from the working board when I get time and see if it rectifies the issue with the now semi-faulty board.

I know this isn't exactly the same issues alicos is having, as the Mario in question is giving out 'some' speeches, but with Marcos test ROMs and a probe, one can comfortably eliminate the main board as being the issue.

Unless you want to shotgun the board, my advice is to source down another working auxiliary board. If the problems get resolved then you could narrow down exactly what the issue is, fix it and onsell. There's very few chips on this board so it shouldn't take long.

Once I figure out what my issues are, I'll post back here for anyone else having these problems in the hope that it may help

#21 7 years ago

Thanks for your feedback and happy to read things worked out for you!

Marco

1 month later
#22 7 years ago

Just brought home a Super Mario that is started doing the same thing. When I fired up the first few plays, everything was working great. The next few plays, the background music started to slow and sound like someone was messing with it on a record player. Now I just get Mario saying "I'm SUPER now." and that's it. I'm a newbie to the hobby - this is my first table - is anyone available to hold my hand and walk me through this?

1 year later
#23 5 years ago

Just a follow-up on this in case anyone else has issues with System 3 sound boards. I ended up ordering a new main sound board. Hooked it up and was getting cymbals and the drum beats but no sound or speech. Pulled the 20-pin ribbon cable that runs between the two sound boards and found that the pins were horribly mangled. I tried straightening them up the best I could, plugged it back in and got full music, but no speech or sound effects. The Aux sound board would not even boot up (no LED). Replaced that ribbon cable with a new one from K's Arcade, plugged it in, and now I have full sound and speech!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-super-mario-bros-w-no-music?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.