(Topic ID: 51408)

Gottlieb System 3 - subwoofer - replace or repair?

By BeaverBrewing

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cherga
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

My woofer in my Street Fighter 2 pin is pumping out an incredibly annoying hummmmmmming noise from the second you turn it on until it is turned off.

I can fix SOME things on a pinball machine but if it requires board repair I find someone to do it or get a new board altogehter. I'm not sure if it is a power supply issue or not. It does "work" but like I said, there is always a loud humming.

Connections appear to be ok all around so I don't think that is the issue.

If anyone thinks replacing the speaker (my prefered fix) would work let me know. I'm not a Speaker expert and am not sure if they don't just die after awhile and need replaced. I'm also not sure if this is a common problem on system 3's or not.

Could disconnecting the speaker altogether affect the machine adversely?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Sys3s tend to hum - some more than others. Changing the speaker will not likely fix it. Disconnecting it will mean you will miss game sounds.

Best bet is to make sure all boards are screwed down tightly and all conectors secure. You can also think about ground mods though those are unlikely to make a big difference either.

I'd just turn it on and play it and turn it off when done.

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago

Ended up disconnecting it for now, I have it in my brewery and people were really annoyed by the hum. Think I may replace it down the line, will update if I do. No real drop in sound, doesn't detract from game.

4 years later
#4 6 years ago

I realize this is an old thread but wondered if this was this ever resolved aside from disconnecting the sub? I have the same problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-subwoofer-replace-or-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.