(Topic ID: 213315)

Gottlieb System 3 speaker hum buzz...Calling all experts!!

By sleepygtr

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by tonyf1965
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Speaker Cable in Cabinet (resized).jpg
Speaker Cable in Back Box (resized).jpg
28_Apr_2018_06_39_33 (resized).png
28_Apr_2018_06_41_35 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

I've found there is a fairly complicated path for sound power on System 3 games. Mine is borderline, seems noisy when the game is idle and in attract mode...but not as noticable in gameplay mode.
At first I also thought it was restricted to the cabinet channel and replaced a number of components including amp, caps and others in the output stage. It seems the noise is also present in the backbox channels, but "masked' by the characteristics of the backbox speakers. My ground mods are also done.
Due to the way the +/- 12VDC is created, split and trucked off the aux power board means there is no simple way to power the audio amps off an external supply. I basically stopped investigating the problem at that point. It just hasn't been a priority for me.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

So you don't think replacing all the components or entirely replacing the Auxiliary Power board will help? I was thinking maybe this could be the source...
THANKS for responding

I'm not certain the noise is originating in aux power board in my game. There's all kinds of noise problems, and not all have the same root cause or symptoms. I'm thinking this might be a ground loop problem. If you replace your aux power board and that solves it, let us know. I'm sorry I don't have a solution at this time.

4 weeks later
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I went ahead and replaced the aux power board and sadly the buzz remains. I am not sure where to look from here.

Thanks for posting.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

Anyone think it would be worth changing the filter capacitors on the transformer? Thought it might help with the buzz.

Measure the AC ripple. If it is less than half a volt, I wouldn't bother.

#10 5 years ago

Spectrum analyzer app pics - CBW

Game on (idle in attract mode)
28_Apr_2018_06_41_35 (resized).png28_Apr_2018_06_41_35 (resized).png

Game off (background noise)
28_Apr_2018_06_39_33 (resized).png28_Apr_2018_06_39_33 (resized).png

1 month later
#14 5 years ago

@woodmedic. did you do the ground mods? also carefully wiggle the connectors into the metal transformer plate. Sometimes these need repinned. I had a particularly bad one on the right side, after repair the hum was reduced dramatically.

3 weeks later
#17 5 years ago

@brunsie. Thanks for posting
that's a significant amount of troueshooting. I thought my noise was cab speaker only, it sent me on a wild goose chase of replacing components only related to the cab speaker channel. Upon further analysis, the same noise is on the backbox speakers as well, just much noticeable because the speakers there have different response characteristics than the cab speaker.
Just good for thought.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

brunsie. Thanks for posting
that's a significant amount of troueshooting. I thought my noise was cab speaker only, it sent me on a wild goose chase of replacing components only related to the cab speaker channel. Upon further analysis, the same noise is on the backbox speakers as well, just much less noticeable because the speakers there have different response characteristics than the cab speaker.
Just good for thought.

5 years later
#33 3 months ago

You can't technically repair any hum by speaker replacement. You can reduce it, because certain speakers have different frequency responses.

You have to find and eliminate the root cause of the hum or noise. A speaker replacement is a band-aid, a cover up, and the problem is still there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pawtucket, RI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-speaker-hum-buzzcalling-all-experts?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.