(Topic ID: 197587)

Gottlieb System 3 Sound Issue, then switch issue, then reset?

By Apex

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Apex
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Looking for help with a weird issue that popped up with my Cue Ball Wizard. It is a fairly new to me game, but after a few weeks of playing after a light shop job (replacing bulbs, fixing a couple of light bases that had broken wires, cleaning, etc.) the game started playing the wrong sounds for switch hits. Thinking I had not checked the cabling since I moved it from the previous owner's basement to my workshop/hallway I double checked all the connectors to the boards in the head. After that, I made sure all the chips on the board were seated as well. This appeared to fix the game as the sounds (both music and call-outs) then played at the right switch hits. After another couple of weeks I noticed that the left flipper would fire when the ball was stopping at the gate after the plunge. This eventually devolved into the flipper getting stuck on until another switch was triggered (or at least the second switch hit seemed to turn it off). Now the problem has progressed to a reset while flipping. I can't always replicate the reset but it seems related to multiple flipper coil firings. Has anyone else dealt with something like this? My next step is to inspect the wiring as my guess is that I may have a loose or chafed wire putting power somewhere it shouldn't, possibly in the switch matrix. If it was any one of those things, I would go down a path of isolation for the particular error I was experiencing. However, with the simultaneous problems and strange progression I think there may be something that explains them all, but I need to default to the greater pinside technical skills!

#2 6 years ago

Any system 3 masters seen anything like this?

2 months later
#4 6 years ago

Ok time for an update. I was busy doing other projects but now had time to dive back in. I ended up finding a desoldered GI wire that when fixed, seemed to have fixed the resets and garbled sound. So progress. I now have some other issues but will start a new thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-sound-issue-then-switch-issue-then-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.