Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bay78
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I can solder darn good and have replaced many chips in my day but I have no training and always use someone else’s guide or input. I ventured out on my own and created a mess. My Sys3 Stargate sound was working great though it had a loud hum in attract mode and at times a piercing squelch on power up. Playing it was flawless. I read it may be the 5v dial adjustment that may be causing it and so I went to check what voltage it was running at. I tried to read off pin one on the smaller AUX board when I was supposed to read Pin 1 and Pin 4 off the CPU board (I learned later). Poof.

So I researched the symptoms of not booting and garbage on the screen. Thankfully there was a lot of information that fit and I ordered a U8 GAL chip on the DMD board which is finicky when things are connected powered up. I got the replacement today and it fixed and booted up. But with NO sound and a SOLID LED on the larger A6 board.

Now fiddling and measuring the correct location I can get the A6 to blink correctly if you over volt the 5v slightly to say 5.15. Then the LED on the sound board blinks and boots. Still no music but call outs like “Shoot the Pyramid” did work. Pressing the boards reset button then attempts to play the music but it’s all garbled. I then found the correct pins on the A6 board to measure the voltage and sure enough when it’s set at below 5.15 to a normal 5v it’s a SOLID LED on boot and garbled sound if you reboot the board.

So I believe the A6 board is the issue as the A20 board does the voice calls if I’m not mistaken. Maybe someone can help before I spend cash on a replacement. I have a good meter, iron, and even a logic probe but am clueless without someone’s help. I am eager to learn and have started reading some books since this really interests me as much as playing pinball.

#2 11 years ago

The auxiliary power board supplies the voltage to the sound board. I would replace the LM340T ( or 7805). this is the +5 volt reg. Also the op-amp MC3403 (or LM324AN or NTE987) can be blown. Double check all your connections!!!

#3 11 years ago

To try on the A20 I picked this 7805 up at ebay:
ebay.com link: ws

Would that also work on the aux power board? If you don't mind, where do you get your stuff from so I can order the LM340T?

Quoted from justjoe:

Double check all your connections!!!

I'll try

#4 11 years ago

Looks like the 7805 has a lower amperage. I get all my parts from digikey. Heres the link:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM340T-5.0%2FNOPB/LM340T-5.0-ND/6237

Here is the datasheets for both:

http://www.ti.com/product/LM78L05

http://www.futurlec.com/Linear/LM340T-5.shtml

#5 11 years ago

Is there a bible to learn all the jargon for a noob? For instance how to tell the difference in the links product pull down (next to quantity) it lists LM340T-5.0-ND or LM340T-5.0-NOPD.

#6 11 years ago

If you click on the datasheets it will show you the different versions of this part. The link was to the part you are looking for, just add the quantity.

#7 11 years ago

You can start with a new POT as it should be replaced anyway (and check the male connectors at both ends of that board) but/and I might be wrong but I had a similar problem on a Rock Encore. Ended up being a couple of things but the main problem was one of the sound chips was bad and the other unstable. My recommendation would be to send it to coin service technology in Bensalem PA. When it comes to sound fixing is a lot more complicated than a cpu or driver. There is a couple of transistors on the driver board that activate sound but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head. GL.

#8 11 years ago

Rock Encore is a System 80B so different sound architecture than Sys3.

You are supposed to get a dual screech on power up on a Sys3 - that tells you the sound boards have booted. If you don't the sound hasn't booted. Sound needs +5, +12 & -12 volts to work. The 5v comes from the main A2 power supply and the 12v comes from the A5 aux power supply. Make sure fuses F10 & F11 are good. They provide the 12.6v AC for the aux power board that gets rectified into the +12 & -12. Make sure you have +12 coming out of pin 10 and -12 from pin 5 on P1 on the aux power supply.

Once you know the voltages are good turn on the game and see if the LED on the sound board flashes. If it doesn't then it's either not receiving or responding to the reset signal from the MPU. You can manually reset the sound board by pressing the reset button on it. If it resets, reseat/change the cable between P4 on A1 and P1 on A6.

If it boots but still no sound, before you change VR2, check and see if you're getting source 5v at pin 1 of U10 (serial DAC.) If that's ok I'd suspect VR1 as the culprit.

Also check the connector on the A26 game control board as well as the volume control on it. Hope this helps.

viperrwk

Post edited by viperrwk : Added more info.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Rock Encore is a System 80B so different sound architecture than Sys3.

I'm an idiot...sorry. Don't know what I was thinking.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I'm an idiot...sorry. Don't know what I was thinking.

Is ok - half the time I don't know what I'm thinking either. The other half I ask myself the question "what was I thinking?!?"

Quoted from viperrwk:

You are supposed to get a dual screech on power up on a Sys3 - that tells you the sound boards have booted. If you don't the sound hasn't booted. Sound needs +5, +12 & -12 volts to work. The 5v comes from the main A2 power supply and the 12v comes from the A5 aux power supply. Make sure fuses F10 & F11 are good. They provide the 12.6v AC for the aux power board that gets rectified into the +12 & -12. Make sure you have +12 coming out of pin 10 and -12 from pin 5 on P1 on the aux power supply.

I should clarify this for people reading this in future searches (and I think justjoe knows this anyway.)

The +5v provided from A2 is for the logic side of the sound boards. If this voltage is off, the boards won't boot.

The +12 is regulated to 5v by VR2 on the A20 aux sound board and is used as the reference power source for the U10 DAC (which is fed data from the U9 sound chip) and to power the U1 speech chip. According to the datasheet for the DAC that voltage has to be between 4.75 and 10v with 5v as standard in order for the DAC to operate.

+12 and -12 are used to drive the op-amps which are fed from the sound chip/DAC and the speech chip.

So if the boards boot (blinking LEDs) you know your logic 5v from A2 is good. If your F10 and F11 fuses are good your aux power supply is getting what it needs to convert to +12 and -12. And if you have the last two going into A20 but still no sound then chances are the problem is on the aux sound board.

viperrwk

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Make sure fuses F10 & F11 are good. They provide the 12.6v AC for the aux power board that gets rectified into the +12 & -12. Make sure you have +12 coming out of pin 10 and -12 from pin 5 on P1 on the aux power supply.

Okay, I want to check these first. I am a complete noob so please bare with me. I checked the fuses and they appear fine visually. I also toned the fuses with continuity fine.

Now to check the voltage I want to make sure I got this right before moving in. First I unplugged all boards except the 2 power supplies. Looking at the A5 AUX I see P1. It has 10 pins, 10 being the top left and 5 being the bottom left. Can I ground the meter to the ground lead screwed inside the cabinet? Then put the meter pos+ into the back of the clip pin 10 or 5 to measure? Measure DC?

I know I need hand holding so THANK YOU for your time!

#12 11 years ago

Pull the fuses to check them. Do not check them installed. I also give them a little twist on the ends to make sure they are attached to the element.

What you've outlined to check the voltages is fine. It will be tricky to get a probe in the back of the connector but it's better than risking shorting the regulators by measuring the output on them directly.

Also, if you don't have caps at c22 and c25 you can measure +12 on the plus side pad of c22 and -12 on the minus side pad of c25. Manual lists c22 as optional.

viperrwk

#13 11 years ago

I have +12.2 at pin 10 and -12.15 at pin 5. So that looks good.

P1 on CPU board has 5v

Power up the game and the A6 Sound board is solid LED light. While on, dialing back the 5v pot and back up starts the A6 blinking but sound doesn't work. Is that a symptom of the 74hc123 Dual multivibrator on the CPU board? I read that in one forum but the repair guide I have doesn't mention that as a symptom.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

but it's better than risking shorting the regulators by measuring the output on them directly.
viperrwk

I think you hit the nail on the head there as that's how I blew it to start. So going back to justjoes and your info I need to replace those. How can I measure and make sure that is it?

#15 11 years ago

When you power up the game and the light locks on, does pressing the reset button get it going without fooling with the voltage? A1 has to reset A6 at power up. If it doesn't but pressing the reset button gets it going, the problem is in the reset circuit from A1 to A6. If the reset button does nothing the voltage at A6 is suspect so you need to check 5v at the sound boards - you might be getting a voltage drop from the PS to the two of them which is why it's not booting when you have 5v on P1 on the MPU.

Also you can crank the voltage up to 5.15 and leave it and then power cycle to see what happens if the boards boot at that voltage level - you're only 3% above 5v so you're ok.

Quoted from BOBCADE:

I think you hit the nail on the head there as that's how I blew it to start. So going back to justjoes and your info I need to replace those. How can I measure and make sure that is it?

Check the source 5v on pin 1 of U10 on the aux sound board. If that's good the 5v regulator (VR2) on that board is ok. If not, that's what you need to change. Rereading your post, since you said speech is ok but not sounds, and you didn't get the tones, I don't think this is the problem but perhaps either the U9 sound chip or the U10 DAC or both are fried. If VR2 is dead you wouldn't get speech or sounds.

viperrwk

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

check and see if you're getting source 5v at pin 1 of U10 (serial DAC.) viperrwk
Post edited by viperrwk : Added more info.

Pin1 of U10 on the AUX Sound Card is 5.07v

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Is there a bible to learn all the jargon for a noob? For instance how to tell the difference in the links product pull down (next to quantity) it lists LM340T-5.0-ND or LM340T-5.0-NOPD.

You're looking at Digikey's part number there. The parts have identical function, but the second part you list is actually LM340T-5.0-NOPB. The NOPB is a lead-free part. Normally a lead part is preferable because it will solder better. You can use lead-free if you have to.

For future reference, Digikey sells identical parts in different packaging, as below. They will have different Digikey part numbers, but identical manufacturer part numbers.

For Hobbyists:
Bulk (Loose parts, small or large quantities)
Cut Tape (Parts on a strip of tape, small quantities)

For Manufacturing:
Digi-Reel (Costs Extra. Custom reel for automated processing.)
Reel (Full Reel for automated processing.)

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

When you power up the game and the light locks on, does pressing the reset button get it going without fooling with the voltage?
viperrwk

No but if I leave the voltage higher it will boot and blink at power up but no sound. Reset the button and the voice call outs start working for effects, no music. After playing a bit like that it gets solid led and garbled music sound.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Pin1 of U10 on the AUX Sound Card is 5.07v

VR2 is not your problem. It's either U9 or U10.

But first you need to get to reliable booting of the sound cards - need to check the logic 5v going to those boards. Check 5v on pin one of P1 on the Aux Sound Board and pin 5 on P2 of the sound board. Also check for +12v on pin 4 and -12v on pin 3 on connector P2.

viperrwk

#20 11 years ago

With the board over-volted and everything blinking I checked. It was really high on both sound boards around 5.25. So I dialed it back to a steady 5.01 pretty much at every 5v spot to check. Pin 4 and 3 on P2 were both +12 and -12. Rebooted with all measurements perfect. It came up with solid LED and jumbled sound. Plus a weird buzzing sound in the backbox that seems to be coming from the A6 board but I can't pinpoint it.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

No but if I leave the voltage higher it will boot and blink at power up but no sound. Reset the button and the voice call outs start working for effects, no music. After playing a bit like that it a bit it gets solid led and garbled music sound.

OK - crank the voltage up again to about 5.15v and boot the machine. Do you get the dual squelch? Do the LEDs blink?

Don't press the reset button.

Start the game - do you get any sounds? Do you get speech? Are each ok or is there a problem with either/both?

Is the U10 DAC or U9 sound chip getting really hot?

When the sound and/or speech goes out or becomes garbled, check all the voltages again to see if they are in spec. If they aren't that will need to be addressed. If they are I'm guessing U9 or U10 on the aux sound board will need to be replaced. You can get those from arcadecomponents.com - $9 for the sound generator and $5 for the DAC. A new aux sound board from PB Resource is $71 by comparison.

viperrwk

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

OK - crank the voltage up again to about 5.15v and boot the machine. Do you get the dual squelch? Do the LEDs blink?
Don't press the reset button.
Start the game - do you get any sounds? Do you get speech? Are each ok or is there a problem with either/both?
viperrwk

It takes about 5.2v or higher to get the boards to boot. Before I blew something it was set around 5.05v - 5.1.

If I over-volt and boot blinking, no squelch. It's not consistent but call out shots with voice have worked. And always the LED eventually goes solid at some point.

When blinking there is no odd buzz. Solid LED there is a weird buzz that comes either from the A6 soundboard or the Aux power supply. It's so high pitched I cannot make out where it's coming from.

Now when booting at normal voltage to a solid soundboard LED there is no squelch and just a single beep. The single beep doesn't happen when booting over-volted to blinking lights.

Going back to work the rest of your post now. brb

#23 11 years ago

They don't get hot at all.

I made a couple vids that may help:

First one power up at normal voltage, LED Solid, then I adjust and it boots. Turn your sound up to here the turn on boot beep then the buzz emitting until I up voltage

The next vid show a couple power cycles over-volted

#24 11 years ago

At the end of the first video when you measured the voltages had the boards stopped blinking again?

Did you measure the 5v at pin 1 of the DAC at the end of the first video?

If the LEDs locked on and you still had 5V @ the DAC, I'm thinking the problem is U9 or U10 for a couple of reasons:

1 - when you turn it on you're only getting one screech not two.
2 - when you play the game you're getting callouts and some sounds but never any music. I'm guessing the speech chip does some sounds in addition to speech.

Last thing to try: reseat EVERYTHING (ROMs, connectors, ribbon cable between sound and aux sound esp.) If that doesn't solve the problem (I don't think it will) then you'll have to replace U9 and/or U10. I'd go with U9 first since speech is ok (I'm guessing you didn't fry the DAC.)

BTW the 74HC123 at U11 on A1 is part of the watchdog circuit for the display digit strobe and lamp strobe and for low voltage. It shouldn't come into play here.

viperrwk

#25 11 years ago

Thanks again for all your time. I think you nailed it at the U9 chip. I just noticed it's getting warm.

Arcadecomponents is out though!
http://www.arcadecomponents.com/catalog/item/2243545/3606394.htm

I'll start hunting.

#26 11 years ago

I'm having a tough time tracking one down. I'm starting to be tempted to grab the board from pbr....dang

#27 11 years ago

Hey viperrwk - I pulled U9 and it now boots flashing normal at 5v even. Put U9 back in and solid. So far I can only find a replacement in China lol.

#28 11 years ago

I found one at Big Daddy's and ordered: http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_ics.htm

#29 11 years ago

I've been following this thread because I also own a Stargate. Sadly it appears that chip is out of production, but fairly high demand. You should probably start a separate thread looking for the chip.

Be careful buying chips from China. You can't really be sure what you're getting.

This is the best I can find right now:
http://andysarcade.net/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1366

#30 11 years ago

I hear ya...I'm crossing my fingers that the one I picked works.

#31 11 years ago

Seems like you're on the right track. Glad you have it under control!

There's something unique about the sound chip used in the Gottlieb but I can't remember what it was or if there's something special you need to do.

No worries ordering from Big Daddy - just hope it's the right one.

viperrwk

#32 11 years ago

I was wondering about that myself. The one i bought has eahg on the bottom and the Gottliebs has eabg. I'll be pretty shocked if it just works.

#33 11 years ago

This is very encouraging:

"You can get a YM2151 chip off any Gottlieb game from that era or any williams system 11 sound board. Also, any pre-twilight zone WPC machine has the chip. I think I have a busted sound board from a PinBot lying around that you could have and see if you can take the chip off of it."

http://www.meetup.com/LongIslandArcadeClub/messages/boards/thread/18590632

#34 11 years ago

Got the replacement chip in and the same problem. No changes in how it works at all. So I ordered the Aux board off PBR for $70.

I plan to still troubleshoot this one if it turns out to be that board. That way I can learn and hopefully help someone else out with the fix if they have similar issue. Though the way my day is going I bet it is the other soundboard that is the issue.

#35 11 years ago

That sucks and is annoying too! Damn!

If it wasn't U9 then it should be U10. Clock output exits from U9 to U10 and if it doesn't respond properly the data gets backed up in the sound chip and then hangs.

For now I think you're doing the right thing by getting a new board. I still think the problem is on the Aux Sound Board and when you get a new DAC, can swap that in and see if that fixes it.

Dammit - if I were closer to you I'd come over with my boards to confirm where the problem is!

Just checking - you reseated the ROMs on the main sound board? That's where the data comes for the game sounds.

viperrwk

#36 11 years ago

I didn't reseat the roms. It was working till I zapped it. If it helps I think I had p1 and p3 unplugged from the aux board when I tried to measure right off the plug and zapped the system. That's why I initially would have thought I zapped the larger board since the aux was unplugged though the ribbon connector was on.

I have a friend about an hour and half away that I ca bring boards to test at. I guess I will go that way if my replacement doesn't fix it.

#37 11 years ago

P3 is the audio out and volume control from the front panel. P1 are your +5, +12 & -12 in. Not sure what happens when you try to boot with those two disconnected. You should double check that -12 is getting to the amps at U7 and U11 on pin 11. Beyond that, all you can do is wait.

viperrwk

#38 11 years ago

On p1 I got +5, +12, & -12 on pins 1-3. Do you know what the rest of that plug is. I'm not even sure at this point where I was on it when it zapped.

Volume control works and line in on the amp side works as I used an iPod and jacked in.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Do you know what the rest of that plug is.

Pins 4 & 8 are analog ground, pins 5 & 6 are DC ground and pin 7 goes to U3 pin 12.

viperrwk

#40 11 years ago

I've got a Stargate making a loud hum in attract too, seems to be specifically coming from the main cab speaker.

#41 11 years ago

Yup. That was my original problem before I blew the card. I'll take the loud hum back now lol

#42 11 years ago

I actually have two machines, I think they both do it - the second one is in bits at the moment but I should be able to get an answer for you tomorrow when I hook the looms back up. The boardset from the second machine is currently sat arranged around the one in my lounge.

So far from swapping boards around and disconnecting others:

It's not the aux power supply.
It's not the aux sound board.
It's not the sound board.
It's not the driver board.
It's not the dot matrix board.
It's not the CPU board.

So on the upside, all the above is ruled out (or has a problem in both cases which seems unlikely as the magnitude of the problem has not changed during any test).

Actually I'm expecting it to be related to the power supply and grounds.

#43 11 years ago

Do share if you find it. My aux board should be here tomorrow. I hope that fixes my no sound issue.

#44 11 years ago

Hooked the other machine back up.

Exactly the same, and I mean exactly.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I've got a Stargate making a loud hum in attract too, seems to be specifically coming from the main cab speaker.

+1.

My machine has the ground mods outlined on Pinwiki, but still has the hum.

#46 11 years ago

I was looking for info on the quad optos earlier, and I found this video:

Aside from the freakish heavy breathing, something else is clearly to be heard. I'm going to write this off as an irritating non-problem.

#47 11 years ago

It's certainly looking that way. I can't believe I busted mine troubleshooting a non-problem...Live and learn.

It wasn't the AUX board. A friend just got one and is going to let me bring my boards over tomorrow so hopefully the mystery will be solved soon.

#48 11 years ago

One other thing you may try: replacing the LM7809 voltage regulator on the Aux Sound Board. The pinrepair guide had this as a solution for the constant hum. Even though the VR tested good, replacing it fixed the problem.

#49 11 years ago

I was able to test the boards today, thanks Skyemont! It was the board at A6 (MA1629). I will order the replacement tomorrow then try and fix the broken one.

#50 11 years ago

Makes sense it was the main sound board after eliminating the aux sound board. Trick now is finding the problem on the main sound board!

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-sound-boards-troubleshoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.